Warmogs just seems right on Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucrid

02-20-2011

Hes an excellent farmer, hes decent at getting kills, and he scales nicely with health. If you put 21 points into the defensive tree, you have up to 24% damage reduction with his ult. With a ton of health, its taking the enemy more and more hits to down you, plus high health scales incredibly well with his passive and spirit visage. In a team fight where everybody is casting, he can gain health back nearly every other hit, which is giving him back around 8% of his max health at a time!

Of course, you would get some cheaper core items first to help him survive in a lane, but after third item, I think warmogs is an excellent choice.

iDig Business

02-20-2011

So, because everyone likes to flame posts regarding warmog's I'll try to beat them here.
Warmog's makes you live a lot longer, if you get defensive items over it. HP is not a defensive stat. Make it one by putting some thornmail and FoN over it.

EDIT: in response to OP's response: Cheaper core items are okay for early survivability, but then that delays your Warmog's by at least 1k gold, or a third of its total cost. Starting with Regrowth Pendant will make laning easy if you have a decent lane partner and budget mana.

Lucrid

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFury View Post
So, because everyone likes to flame posts regarding warmog's I'll try to beat them here.
Warmog's makes you live a lot longer, if you get defensive items over it. HP is not a defensive stat. Make it one by putting some thornmail and FoN over it.
Right, which is why you would get core items before getting the warmogs.

GeraldTremblay

02-20-2011

actually, raw health give you more survavibility early game, restitances more late game

so it's not that dumb to get warmog first and resistances second

Amaterasuomikami

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldTremblay View Post
actually, raw health give you more survavibility early game, restitances more late game

so it's not that dumb to get warmog first and resistances second
This.

Most tanks have decent scaling, in regards to resistances.

Thus early game health is far more beneficial [espically if you, like a good tank, run with defensive runes]

This of course isnt counting stuff like Chos ulti, which allows him to build resistances early

iDig Business

02-20-2011

Warmog's seems better to get first, since you will have the health regen and the ability to farm before having to worry about team fights. i would suggest Warmog's first, starting with either a piece of it or mana crystal to later to used for Frozen Heart, if you have mana issues. If you want to use it, having it farmed up well in advance of team fights would be preferable.

And I understand that our tanky tree buddy farms very well and it doesn't take that long, but still, farm it early and ya won't regret it.

CaptainSoda

02-20-2011

It's not that bad of an item when you rush it, the problem is however most of the time the people I see rushing it are fighting against a WW with bloodrazor.

Meaning that warmogs might have as well been force of nature + whatever else.

Kalshazzak

02-20-2011

better to get items that have MR/AR and health like omen/BV/SV/sunfire than warmogs. RoA is also much better than a warmogs on ap tanks.

Larson McMurphy

02-20-2011

If you do the math for effective health, warmogs is the most cost effective option by far, especially if you get it early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSoda View Post
It's not that bad of an item when you rush it, the problem is however most of the time the people I see rushing it are fighting against a WW with bloodrazor.

Meaning that warmogs might have as well been force of nature + whatever else.
Honestly, bloodrazor never seems to be much of a problem. Next time you're playing someone with warmogs against a bloodrazor check your death recaps. Bloodrazor is will usually be doing half as much damage as the physical component of their attack or less. It's usually less than 10%. Pick up a negatron after that and you'll be fine. A lot of people say "ZOMG bloodrazor pwns warmogs stacking healht is for noobz" but honestly its not that effective as a counter. If you do the math, in terms of effective health per gold, warmogs is the best item in the game bar none.

YoWombat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

If you feel like taking a gamble, Leviathan could be fantastic, giving him an additional 15% reduction. It's pretty easy to get assists as a tank, and I seldom die as Maokai. Sure, stacks give the enemy incentive to kill you... but as a tank you want them to be focusing you anyway- it's a free taunt!