How to play Jungle Udyr?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

durex69

03-13-2012

I've been meaning to learn how to play jungle udyr for a time now. But aparently, he can be built (both item and skill-wise) many different ways. Can someone tell me the best way to play him? What items should i buy and how should i prioritize the skills?

What is the advantage of maxing R first?

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2012

Max R = More AoE damage, allow faster jungle clear time

Usually you want to build tanky with wit's end as a core, Udyr will be the stun and AoE damage bot in a teamfight.

NachoHunter

03-13-2012

You can max Q if you want to focus on getting your money through ganks, as this will give you much higher single target damage.

But, the most popular way is to R and clear the jungle faster. This gives you more time on the map to gank/counter jungle and is not so crippling if your ganks are unsuccessful.

Some tips for Udyr jungle:
Don't force ganks. If the enemy is not pushing and is warding sufficiently the chances of a good gank are very slim. Likewise, unless someone like Ahri has ult down (post 6) don't even bother. Wasting time forcing ganks will only put you and your team behind.

Take the long way around. Lots of times people ward the river top, but if you walk around and come through tribrush they won't see you. Or, sometimes, if your teammates lane is pushed to tower and will be coming back soon, you can go around to your turret, sneak up into the side brush in the lane and wait there.

Don't be afraid to camp easy targets. Someone took revive/tele karthas. AWESOME. Gank him early, then when he revives and TPs back to lane, gank him again... and again... and again. Sona decided to take heal CV instead of a flash and started meki pendant w/ no wards? Good news! Ruin her day.

When you gank, get behind them. If you can land the stun from their back, that is best. If you can only hit them in the side, then as soon as you land the stun, move behind them to block their path, then cut on your R or Q and start pounding them. Between every auto attack, move your champ and reposition to continue to stay on them or, ideally, to block their path from running to tower.

Counter jungle: Your clear times are very fast. Pick up a ward on your first trip back and ward their wraiths. Any time you see the jungler show his face (by being CV'd or attempting a gank or crossing a ward) on the other end of the map, that is your cue to take his jungle. If its a jungler that you KNOW will start blue (Fiddle, Noct, usually WW) then ward their blue around 6:00 and be ready to steal it around 7:00. If you want to counter a slow jungler (like a WW) right off, start boots, do your wolves, blue, run to his wraiths, then you can go golems (safer) or red. If you steal their red like this, kill the small ones first, then drag the big one into the bush. Good junglers will notice the skull icon is still present, meaning the lizard is not dead, but average junglers will pay no mind, walk right by you, and go to their golems.

In teamfights, don't chase their carries as you are very easily kited. Instead, run interference for your carries. Use your stun and red buff to keep Irelia from melting your Graves. The only time I go after their carries is if they are really obviously out of position and their team has minimal slows/stuns.

Read some guides, watch some videos. solomid.net and lolpro.com have good guides. There's plenty of video and commentary out there from pros on udyr both jungle and top.

durex69

03-13-2012

Well that was all i was looking for on a reply. Just one last question, should i atleast take one point on my Q (at what level)? Many guides dont up to lvl 16 :/

Maxijazz

03-13-2012

For ganking as jungle udyr you want to go R - W - R - E and then gank, or skip the second R for an earlier gank if you can.