Need help with tanking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

James Dragonhorn

11-03-2009

Hey all,

new LoL player here, veteran dota player. I was wondering how to build a tank and what hero to use. I've gotten down melée and range dps pretty good but really want to play a tank. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2009

Amumu is a very popular tank nowadays, but I think they're all good in their own way.

Obviously, you're going to need a lot of HP, but HP alone won't make you tanky. Armor and MR (magic resistance) are what makes a tank, tanky. Look at who you're facing and determine how much of each you will need. Good examples of getting both are Guardian Angel (has a revive passive which is pretty useful, especially late game) and Aegis of Legion. (Aegis is an aura, which is pretty sweet)

There are really general tips, but once you nail down which tank you want to master, go read some of the guides on them. Just don't neglect armor and MR, because I see too many tanks make that mistake.

Razerwind

11-03-2009

My problem is raising gold as a tank. How the hell do I do it?? I've tried a few tank builds recently and their mitigation is incredible but it takes sooo long to raise gold. When your damage is ****, last-hitting is hard, and if you don't last hit, you don't have gold.

Merovinge

11-03-2009

Amumu has to have the worst last hitting in the game, so you will need to heavily rely on tantrum in lane to get last hits (if you choose him, he is the best tank atm imo). The best addition for most tanks for laning is to get Fortify mastery (you should take 1 team summoner skill as a tank anyway, let carries take flash and such). The +9 damage helps last hitting heaps early on.

Many tanks are also capable of ganking, doing so provides far more income then last hitting. Also, doing some jungling with the good jungling tanks (amumu, malphite) provides stable income independant of last hitting.