Completely torn...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrignardTS

03-13-2012

...between Sorcerer's Shoes and Ionian Boots on a lots of mages I play, especially Orianna.

The early game damage you get verses targets neglecting building MR for the first ~8m of the game is huge. Enough to make this a hard decision.

But that cheap CDR is so juicy.

Plus with Ori, her ratios are kind of meh making the penetration make all the difference in the world to your damage output.

Maybe sit on Shoes for the first 8m and sell for ludicity? This means I'll need to be OK with only having ~18% CDR until mid game.

It's just so easy to cap CDR with Ludicity....

Shodann

03-13-2012

I feel your pain. I have a hard time deciding on the outset too...

Panwar

03-13-2012

I run flat CDR blues, and if it's that important I have a masteries page for both AD and AP that grab the CDR skills in both the offensive and defensive trees. That lets me start off with 18% CDR. If I need more than that there is always DFG or Frozen Heart depending on what I'm playing.

It kills me to get CDR boots, I just feel like there are better options for boots.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2012

Early game you will see sorc shoes make a good chunk of difference, CDR will eat your mana too fast however. And some good games will end early enough to not have time for a void staff.

Later game, a lot of mage i play, i dont build void staff because having sorc shoes is enough to burst down that glassy cannon carry at the back usually and its about poking and juking for the rest

On manaless champs / manalite champions, you can consider haunting guise + Ionian shoes to start. Very similar in gold to sorc shoes + Prospectus ring start, and still give you similar damage and survivability

Kiddalee

03-13-2012

I run per level blues and CDR masteries which total nearly 20%. Then, there are many games which merit buying Frozen Heart, Deathfire Grasp, or Hextech Sweeper. I don't often need Ionian Boots, because I like the other CDR items better.

Kiddalee

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodann View Post
I feel your pain. I have a hard time deciding on the outset too...
That's okay. It's better to buy Boots1 and another small item, to give yourself time to decide based on the enemy's skills, playstyles, and builds.

GrignardTS

03-13-2012

I currently run flat CDR glyphs and quints and with the mastery in offence and the per/level one in defense, I start with ~16% and scale to 23% at L18.

I was using Ludicity to cap very early so I could focus on AP and HP and just forget about itemizing CDR.

I think I may go back to sorc tho.

I just don't like many of the CDR options for mages atm.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
I just don't like many of the CDR options for mages atm.
I refuse to use Morello Evil Tome cause I hate Morello for mindlessly overnerfing Ahri, true story.

But on the other hand, you can never dismiss the usefulness on DFG, esp. on champs like LeBlanc

GrignardTS

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
But on the other hand, you can never dismiss the usefulness on DFG, esp. on champs like LeBlanc
On lots of mages, I love building DFG.

On Ori however, the range on DFG is a lot shorter than her skills. I don't want to get in the fray to begin with and I find myself not using it as much as I should.

Hékate

03-13-2012

I say sorc shoes... you can use the right configuration of runes/masteries to make the CDR itemization work. For Lux I run flat CDR blues and that + offensive masteries + morellos + hextech sweeper + sorc boots is what I've finally settled on for my casters.