Wards are Useless: How Metagame Lies To You

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

03-12-2012

I like to draw analogies, because they help other people understand the situation and often provide humorous results.

In this case the analogy I would like to draw is thus:

It's like the OP wanted to drive somewhere. So he needed fuel. But instead of pouring gas into his car, he got a bunch of batteries and shoved them down into the tank and is now wondering why his car isn't working. Upon realizing the car wasn't working, instead of doing anything smart (like trying to pull the batteries out and put in some gas) he determines that he needs MORE batteries and in different places like the trunk and the passenger seat.

Now he's even more confused and declares that cars are useless because he can't get them to work. So are batteries. Batteries are useless too.

Sarkhon

03-12-2012

I'm a level 20 player who normally (read, always) plays support. I've played Teemo as a support and a carry. The difference with playing Teemo as support is your role is not to "buy" wards necessarily. You get to skip this step in the mid game because of your mushrooms. If you have good placement with your early wards or a jungler who is willing to buy wards, then you are able to scale with your items to be useful as a harass in team fights who prevents champs from escaping (due to your dot) and provide utility during escapes (by placing mushrooms aggressively). As any other support (Janna, Sona, Soraka, etc.) your job is to buy wards and place them throughout the map to provide best map awareness for your team. You bought 8 wards early in the game, which is a poor decision. Early game you want to build your GP5 items so you can turn them into aura items late game, but you also want to buy a few wards to help carry your lane. Remember, a good jungler in the early game helps their support by buying wards, and it isn't the supports sole role early game to ward the map. It's every lanes job to buy a ward or two to protect themselves and help the jungler. In the late game, you want to be warding crucial spots on the map (baron, dragon, golem/lizard, etc.). If you aren't doing this, then again, you are failing your team.

The supports role is to provide:

Early game support to the carry, provide lane awareness.
Mid game - provide early vision on Dragon and to an extent, Baron. Provide map awareness, continue supporting carry.
Late game - provide late game map awareness of all valuable map objectives and lanes, provide support/cc/harass during team fights.

You didn't do any of those things, and I haven't even played 700 games yet...

Folly Inc

03-12-2012

Map awareness is critical in any game situation. As long as this fact remains true you will ALWAYS be wrong.

Trein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

I have literally won games because I warded the right place at the right time and we caught someone out of position and steamrolled to a win. 75g for a win, TOTALLY overrated. wards are only good if used correctly.

Lanced Jakky

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneMillion View Post
How exactly do you keep awareness of a jungler without a ward?
You look at the minimap, you dumb piece of ****.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

1. No gp/10 item, where the hell do you get your money from?
2. Teemo shrooms + wards, you are telling the enemy not to buy oracle?
3. you put 6 vision wards down on your first trip back to home? You do realize that you don't need 6 freaking wards to cover the whole jungle path, right? 4 is already enough, and 5 is perfect to even cover enemy buff.
4. Mejai on support teemo...How are you suppose to get the stacks?
5. Other comments are not as important as these 4.

In conclusion, this is why OP is unranked and have more loses than wins in normal games.