Wards are Useless: How Metagame Lies To You

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lanced Jakky

03-12-2012

So I recently got into using wards as I was approaching my 700th League game. I never bought them before because they're too ****ing expensive and I'm good enough to know when people are going to gank since I have map awareness. However, as I was starting up premade, I decided to try playing some support so we can be sure to win since support is overpowered. This is when everything went downhill.

I instant locked in as AP Teemo and started thinking up an item build that would utilize plenty of cooldown reduction so I could always have mushrooms to lay down. I started off with Doran's Ring, and then on my first back, I got my boots and 8 Vision Wards. I was about level 6 at this time so I went around, warding dragon, key bushes, blue, red, etc. Then I also placed my mushrooms in bushes I was sure people would walk into, or otherwise for areas a vision ward couldn't cover after I used them all.

They did not ****ing help at all, they ran out so god **** quick, I'd put it down and the next time I'd look it would be gone and I'd have to buy new wards over and over to replace them. Because of this, I never had any money to buy items so I never got the CD reduction. At 30 minutes in, I only had Sorcerer's Boots and my Mejai's and was going 0/4/3.

As we approached late game I was only level 13 while everyone else was 18 and the entire team had oracles and kept on killing all my ****ing wards and mushrooms, not to mention the fact I had no god **** damage. This is complete and utter proof that wards are useless and anyone who buys them is wasting money. The metagame is a ****ing joke and only tryhard Koreans actually pick up that ****, it's like buying those stupid elixirs before you get your full item build.

Take a lesson from this story: Never buy wards or play support, it's all just a lie that you'll win games, because they are the weakest, most useless role in the game. Especially people who take Clairvoyance and buy a Vision Ward at level 1 like 300 elo Sona's.

spadetheace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

I main support. Wards are in no way expensive. 75g is CHEAP for 3 minutes of protection.
The fact that you instalocked AP teemo shows me you know nothing about true support. All you did was ward, that doesn't in any way make you a support player. One game where you went negative by possibly being out played does NOT prove that supports are good or bad. It's about protection and awareness and safety.
/Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

Obvious troll somehow got fed

GG

GOD SlN

03-12-2012

Quite a few problems with your story.

1. You should rush around 2 GP/10 as support.
2. You don't need damage as support. You job is supporting.
3. You rushed Mejais.
4. Are you playing AP Teemo or are you supporting?
5. Why the hell would you start off with Doran's Ring on a support?
6. Why did you buy 8 wards at level 6 and no items? You have free wards already, you need GP/10 early on.
7. More stupid stuff as well, too lazy to point anymore out.

Crazyflames

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadetheace View Post
I main support. Wards are in no way expensive. 75g is CHEAP for 3 minutes of protection.
The fact that you instalocked AP teemo shows me you know nothing about true support. All you did was ward, that doesn't in any way make you a support player. One game where you went negative by possibly being out played does NOT prove that supports are good or bad. It's about protection and awareness and safety.
/Not sure if trolling or just stupid.
I know, I can't tell if trolling or stupid, everybody knows support Teemo buys aura items and gp/5, not AP...

GhostDonkeys

03-12-2012

Yeah wards are useless...When you ward the entire map with them for no reason.

You have to use wards in the right places at the right time, for example, placing a purple ward in the middle of your lane is going to be useful if they don't even have a stealth champ won't it?

Just because you are buying TONS of wards doesn't mean you are helping out your team a lot. It would be more useful to just buy a few and ward key spots that need to be warded at that time.

Snip3d L0L

03-12-2012

I agree with OP, wards are seriously over rated. Map awareness > wards

Killzerz

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanced Jakky View Post
So I recently got into using wards as I was approaching my 700th League game. I never bought them before because they're too ****ing expensive and I'm good enough to know when people are going to gank since I have map awareness. However, as I was starting up premade, I decided to try playing some support so we can be sure to win since support is overpowered. This is when everything went downhill.

I instant locked in as AP Teemo and started thinking up an item build that would utilize plenty of cooldown reduction so I could always have mushrooms to lay down. I started off with Doran's Ring, and then on my first back, I got my boots and 8 Vision Wards. I was about level 6 at this time so I went around, warding dragon, key bushes, blue, red, etc. Then I also placed my mushrooms in bushes I was sure people would walk into, or otherwise for areas a vision ward couldn't cover after I used them all.

They did not ****ing help at all, they ran out so god **** quick, I'd put it down and the next time I'd look it would be gone and I'd have to buy new wards over and over to replace them. Because of this, I never had any money to buy items so I never got the CD reduction. At 30 minutes in, I only had Sorcerer's Boots and my Mejai's and was going 0/4/3.

As we approached late game I was only level 13 while everyone else was 18 and the entire team had oracles and kept on killing all my ****ing wards and mushrooms, not to mention the fact I had no god **** damage. This is complete and utter proof that wards are useless and anyone who buys them is wasting money. The metagame is a ****ing joke and only tryhard Koreans actually pick up that ****, it's like buying those stupid elixirs before you get your full item build.

Take a lesson from this story: Never buy wards or play support, it's all just a lie that you'll win games, because they are the weakest, most useless role in the game. Especially people who take Clairvoyance and buy a Vision Ward at level 1 like 300 elo Sona's.
Where to start?

1) You have won 661 games and lost 691. Your normal elo is terrible, probably meaning you are a terrible player.

2) You picked support Teemo. How small is your brain?

3) "Support is overpowered". Not really. They fulfill a role on a team just as AP mid, solo top, jungle, and AD carry. Not really OP, just have a different function.

4) You bought how many vision wards? And laid them all down at once? Even once I have Philo + HoG I only put 6 on the map at any one time.

5) No sight wards? You have no idea how good they are for warding your lane and dragon. You are usually refunded 25 gold and you stop their vision if you use these in those areas.

6)...I still can't get over support Teemo.

7) You had Sorcerer's Shoes but wanted CDR. Y U NO PICK IONIAN BOOTS?

8) You picked up Mejai's as support Teemo. 'Nuff said.

9) Your first item was a Doran's Ring. As a support. No wards, no hp pots. Common items to get are Faerie Charm, 2 vision, 1 sight, and 1 hp pot as a support that HAS SUSTAIN. Not Teemo.

10) You didn't build GP/10s. YOU GOT MEJAIS. Your brain, is it in your ass?

11) No damage? You're a support. Not a Corki, not a Cassiopeia, A SUPPORT TEEMO WITH 0 CS.

12) Elixers are good to get midgame. I myself disagree with getting a red pot before my first big build, but after 3-4 items I start potting.

13) Support Teemo...

Can't tell if retarded or the best troll I have ever seen in my life.

acosn

03-12-2012

1: Support characters sustain otherwise weak AD carries through their early game and let them get to their "end game" in a reasonable fashion. The alternative is running a false support that turns the lane into a kill lane, and ends up doing the same **** thing by simply shutting down the other team's carry so badly that they can't compete.

Teemo is an AD carry, not a support in any sense of the term. The OP is quite literally everything that's wrong with Teemo players.

2: Wards intermittently hard or soft counter junglers. That's their point. Some junglers can afford to more or less ignore them (Rammus, Shaco, ect) while others are rendered impotent so long as they're active.

3: You want 2-3 wards per trip back. One is fine. 8 is retarded. In terms of ganks, one ward tells you basically all you need to know early game unless you push like a ******. Once you're pushing past the first string of towers the number jumps to two.

4: Buying nothing but GP5 items is a bad idea for supports. Philo stones and HoG's are means to an end. The sure sign of a bad support character is one that by 25 or 30 minutes has only a smattering of aura items, and a fairly anemic showing of CDR or AP, depending on who they picked. Unless they're Alistar or Taric. Then they're expected to be tanks in some capacity.

5: The point of CV is keeping tabs on the enemy jungle because those handful of early game ganks they win are generally game defining, especially at solo queue level where people think that a quantity of kills that can't even buy a pickaxe or a blasting rod is game ending. Early game the worst part of dying isn't the gold your opponent gets, its the XP and farm you're not getting.

TheOneMillion

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip3d L0L View Post
I agree with OP, wards are seriously over rated. Map awareness > wards
How exactly do you keep awareness of a jungler without a ward?