Is Rammus Overvalued?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

I kinda have to think so, to be honest I'm just not that scared of Rammus anymore. I don't even ban him this day in age.

While his great mobility, 3 second taunt, and innate tankiness are certainly powerful, it's getting to the point for me at least where I would much rather have someone like Kassadin or Pantheon who also are very mobile with great disabling power, but who also do a lot more.

As I've climbed my way up the elo ladder I also tend to see Rammus way less often, and when I do it's not like he does bad or anything and he's still a strong pick, but he doesn't make the omgwtfdominionunbalanced feeling that everyone seems to attribute to him.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

The problem you see is bad rammus, which to be fair, is seen very often at low elo

Degnared

03-12-2012

A nearly 60% winrate (http://www.leagueofstats.com/champio...NKED/all/fotm/) says that Rammus is not, in fact, overvalued.

GrignardTS

03-12-2012

Rammus is overvalued.

60% isn't enough to cry about, but it is enough for a perma ban.

He has counters like everyone else and means nothing close to an auto win.

EMeta

03-12-2012

There's certainly a good chance that if you don't ban him, you'll get a bad rammus on the other team. But that's generally not worth the significant chance that he'll know what he's doing.

BigDaddyRelish

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
The problem you see is bad rammus, which to be fair, is seen very often at low elo
2100 is low elo?

And is Rammus really so intricate that there is a significant difference between good and bad Rammus players? I mean, I don't want to call Rammus players bad and there is the case of having good judgement but it's not like Rammus does much of anything fancy. You powerball in, armor up, taunt their biggest damage threat, and let your ult do it's mediocre aoe damage.

I dunno, 60% IS a high w/l but what if he is just crushing low elo? Because from what I've seen, Rammus is definitely strong but not so much of a game changer that I'd take/ban him over others. Especially when you see him in Draft and just take Cleanse, of which then I can see the tears rolling down Rammy's face.

lolwhut

03-12-2012

Rammus is extremely over-valued in lower elo/less organized play. His ability to roam effectively can shred a team that isn't prepared to deal with the constant backdooring. However, as you have pointed out, at higher elo he is less played due to better organization and better positioning. Ex - How many high elo games do you see 8 people camped out top all game?

ActionButlerGO

03-12-2012

Soraka has a 56% win rate in SR normals and Janna has a 55% winrate in solo draft.

I'm not sure that is the best way to determine overpoweredness.

PrimalHatred

03-12-2012

I think he's very beatable, but I ban him almos tevery game anyway because he punishes mistakes hard. If someone on your team isn't playing at 100%, he will pick your team apart and ruin you. If I'm not with a full premade of people I know are good and listen, I don't want to risk it.

Forbiddian

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degnared View Post
A nearly 60% winrate (http://www.leagueofstats.com/champio...NKED/all/fotm/) says that Rammus is not, in fact, overvalued.
His win rate drops to 55.24 when you filter only 1800+ games.

55.24 isn't anything to scoff at, but it brings a lot of credibility to the idea that Rammus is a champion you can deal with. If there were a way to filter 2000+, I'm sure his win percentage would drop even more (still a strong pick and >50%, though).

Kassadin, Ryze, Warwick, and Irelia have a higher win percentage *and* more games played.
In addition, Yorick is a full standard deviation stronger.