Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to deal with mana issues on AD champs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

izari

03-12-2012

Heyo,
I've played predominately support and AP carry champs over the past year. I'm starting to give AD a shot now, but I'm running into some major mana issues.

I don't have this problem as much with melee AD like Jax, but with Graves I'm constantly OOM well into mid and late game. Cait and Tristana, for me, are kind of in the middle. Early game I was having issues but by mid to late I was alright.

In general, I want to try and grab flat mana items but I immediately get called a troll or bad for it. So I snag blue when I can but I kinda feel bad about that.

It's a pain cause I know that the immediate answer is to not use my skills as often, which is an understandable strategy during lane, but it gets aggravating when the enemy has, like... 1/4 HP and I don't have the mana to finish them off.

Suggestions?

Orino

03-12-2012

Hey, i use mp5/pr lvl yellows on all my ad's and it works best for my playstyle. If you are spamming your abilities you will still go oom. Alot of people tend to go for armor yellows but i don't like to have to manage my mana that much, i enjoy being able to poke and harass alot. If you are not using mana regen yellows try them out, may work better for you.

Cenerae

03-12-2012

Simply put, don't spam your skills. When you use your skills, make sure there is a reason for it. This also applies to AP champs, but AD champs tend to have smaller mana pools and don't get much if any mana/regen items.

It's especially important to do in the very early game, where your right click is actually doing nearly as much damage as your spells anyway. If you can get a great burst harrass off with use of your skills? Do so. If you want to shoot a Graves Q at your opponent for the sake of it? Don't. Not only does it push the lane but you won't be garunteed to hit it like that anyway.

Of course, if you have a Soraka as your laning partner, you can pretty much play whack-a-mole with your skills and let her Infuse you nonstop, which is deadly on some AD champs. But you need to be a bit more conservative with other partners.

FaerellG

03-12-2012

mp5 yellows or blues will keep you just fine. Just gotta be a bit conservative early game.

Lensing FTW

03-12-2012

This is for ad carry bot lane btw. A general rule I follow is use skills for coordinated bursting and auto attacks for static poking. Sneaking in an auto attack onto your enemy when they try to last hit is a safe way of applying pressure and damage onto your oppontent. Using skills to poke at this point is not significantly better than auto attacks.
Ideally you should coordinate your aggression with your support. When the two of you concentrate all your fire on a single target, thats when I blow everything. You don't have to kill them, just chunk them significantly and force them to play defensively or retreat from the lane for a while, making them lose farm. An example would be Corki and Taric as laning partners. You could have Taric hit someone with his stun, and you follow up with a missle and you both back off. You could repeat this every 30 seconds or so and not be very much ahead in terms of damage or mana conservation. Alternately, you could have Taric stun and shatter the enemy while you use your gatling gun, missles, and phosphorous bomb plus auto attacks. The second action requires more coordination, but has a much larger effect on the lane and has kill potential unlike the first action. You will be out a similar amount of mana, but will have dealt much more damage.

pro4never

03-12-2012

The issue is that you're too used to AP casters who rely on harassing enemy hard and often are using skills to get minion kills.

Bottom lane is a very passive farm lane in general and so you should only be using your skills very periodically for avoiding ganks, helping your jungler with ganks, easy harassment on enemy (when you will suffer little or no risk from it) or very important farm.

Graves will go through mana very quickly using his Q. You can either pair up with a Soraka (**** strong. The insane amount of mana lets you constantly harass with your skills) or you can simply not use your skills so often. I don't run any mana runes no Graves and have VERY little issue with mana on him simply because I focus almost entirely on last hitting only. If enemy tries something I throw in a dash + auto attacks if possible or simply back off and farm under turret and wait for jungle gank.

Unlike mid ap you really shouldn't be expecting early kills as a bottom lane unless the enemy sucks. Mid is a very aggressive game of denying but bottom is so much more about just passive farm and coordinated jungle ganks (when possible)