Advice to get into Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sarkhon

03-11-2012

Hello,

I'm new to LoL, and just hit level 20. I'm not to 30 yet, but I'm looking forward to playing ranked once I get there, as I've been successful playing many different games throughout my life. Since playing, I've found that I gravitate to Tank roles and Support, primarily support. I've purchased a few champions so far (Teemo, Janna, Soraka, Amumu, Ashe and Swain), and have found that the first four champ's are the ones I play most often, trying out the support and tank champions that are free each week, and performing poorly with anyone labeled a Carry or Mage. I know not everybody can be a carry, but I've recently read in a few places that it's impossible to do well in Ranked if you are primarily Support champs, and that you'll end up in ELO Hell really quickly. I was hoping that there might be some advice for someone who wants to play the Support Role in Ranked, as I can spend the last ten levels working on getting even better at support (I generally get 1-2 kills, only die 1-2 times, and end up with 20+ assists), or instead work on improving my Carry/Mage skills. Any advice from the pro's??

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

ShameWoW

03-11-2012

Hey bud, generally the trick with solo queue is carrying your team to the win, thats how you raise elo. The problem people are pointing out with supports is you are completely at the will of your teamates when your support, because when it comes right down to it, a support can only do as well as its team. Don't misunderstand, supports can drastically change teamfights with good play, but with a bad team that only goes so far. So people go by the rule of thumb, only rely on yourself, be greedy and get fed so you can carry the game. However if you really enjoy supports theirs a way around this. DUO queue. Just get a buddy who loves ad carries and is good with them, then you greatly increases your chances of winning your lane especially while using voice communication. And just enjoy watching your ad spiral out of control ;-) Also if you really enjoy supports I suggest you work on map awareness as it is #1 priority, and you need to learn to use cv efficiently so that means you need to know other rolls such as jungle and where the jungler will be for cv's and stuff. The thing with support is you still need to learn the other roles so you know who needs to be kept safe and who to shield or heal or who u need to cc on the enemy team. By the way you will be starting out in ELO Hell, and you will be contributing to it as well no one is infallible everyone has poor games(That includes high elo players so really theirs a little elo hell everywhere).

All this aside there is still a big problem with only playing supports in ranked, and that is lack of versatility. There are a lot of people who enter a ranked match refusing to counter pick the enemy and just have one champ in mind they want to play. That means there is always the chance someone else will lock in support. The biggest way to help your elo imo is to be versatile, you have to be able to fill all the rolls so that when you get those useless trolls, you can be the bigger man and fill the role your team needs so you still have a shot at grabbing the win.

Good luck.

Sena

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2012

Play your hardest carry, and be positive. People WILL troll/complain/flame each other/be dumb/etc. Your mentality goes like this: If my team is doing well, compliment the team and work with them. If my team is feeding, don't be negative, don't say anything bad, try to maintain morale and lead your team to victory OR just carry so hard that you win anyways. Your best chances are probably top or mid, where you can completely own the lane then go gank other lanes. Jungling might also let you carry.

Anyway, if your team is already complaining and whining at picks, you've lost. It happens, it sucks. Nothing you can do about it. Just think of it as a grind and keep going!

Cenerae

03-11-2012

You don't want to jump into ranked on immediately hitting 30. Even if you're confident with your level of play, you might end up with a very nasty surprise when getting into ranked since you just don't have the same level of experience as most of the other players.

At the very least, if you want to get anywhere in ranked, you'll need a minimum of 1, but preferably 2 champs for every role, as well as full rune pages for those roles. Ranked is less about selecting whatever you want to play and more about selecting what the team needs. You may be able to play your preferred role most of the time if you ask, but not everyone will accommodate that and you might end up thrust into a role you can't play properly.

Also, if you plan on making supports your go-to, your best bet is to find a good ranged AD player to partner up with. If you can find someone you can trust to play consistently well then you can go place as a support main. Otherwise, it's pot luck.

Izumi Miyamura

03-11-2012

I would say stay away from ranked until 400+ wins.

I thought I was pretty good back when I had 200 wins, and tried ranked a couple times. I found out I wasn't as good as I thought.

Experience will make you into a better player.

Sarkhon

03-13-2012

Thank you all for the advice.

Currently my wife is looking into AD champ's she enjoys playing, and we have two friends who like to play Tanky solo top champs and Junglers (and they're pretty decent in ranked), so I guess the main concern I had was going into ranked and just being absolutely useless. I've found a few carry's I'm *okay* with, but I would much rather just play support champions, as I win waaay more games while I'm supporting players, and I can see a significant improvement with my teammates while I'm feeding them kills. Thanks for the advice!!

FaerellG

03-13-2012

Practice in normal que draft-mode.