Trash-talking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reise92

03-11-2012

This is a post/story about trash-talking, as well as empathising/sympathising with the enemy team (Depending on what perspective you may see it from). Although it is based on a real event, the content is based off of my memory, rather than the logs that I keep. As well as this, I have changed quite a lot, namely, the cursing and swearing and anger from the chat has been mellowed down, from all parties. :P

I enjoy league of legends, and here is my take on trash-talking.

Not the kind of personally attacking other players for your own enjoyment, just the kind that throws them off their game, maybe adds a bit of rage to their playstyle. That kind of thing.

I've noticed, not a lot of people do it. Though, I have also noticed, a LOT of people do 'personally' (how truly personal can things get on the net? but nonetheless.) attack one another, namely for giving what seems to them, friendly suggestions on improving.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the importance of early-game, and intentionally feed, usually causing a team's loss. A lot of people don't seem to understand that a bad early game could mean you play the S***tiest you never thought you could in your whole life. Usually, they mistake it for intentional feeding, and flame the hell out of you for it.

Getting back on track, communication is important, both between teammates, and between teams. Especially so as to not cause any malcontent due to differences in communication styles. Some people don't know what "gtfo" means. Some people take it seriously, as if you are giving them a death threat. Some people request an explanation of this rude gesture you just gave them. Why? Because what you said means something different to them. They see it differently, and they treat it differently.

I can remember the few games where I had a horribly inept team and I was seeking solace from the opposing team; I did not try to win any less than any other game, and I didn't feed, give away positions, and from memory I believe I continued to call as though my team weren't sabotaging the game, as well as my enjoyment.
Fortunately, we (myself and the opposing team) had a light-hearted and quite funny conversation, which made my whole time seem as though it was not wasted.

Then you have the guys who join the team, harrass you constantly, feed the enemy intentionally and laugh in your face as you are destroyed, your defenses demolished, and not only that; but the enemy is making the most of it. They're milking it. Do you want to know what the most embarrassing moment for me has been during my whole time playing LoL? Really? The most disgracing moment probably EVER to have occured in this fine craftsmanship of a game?

When the enemy does not want to end the game, and spends nearly over half an hour not destroying any turrets, the civil thing to do is to try to surrender; that I did. Of course, my team all declined without a word. 15 minutes go by, the enemy have been destroying towers one-by-one, between each destruction stopping to farm the entire jungle at once. Quite a horrifying visage, am I right? I then continue on to attempt to persuade my team why we should surrender, how the enemy team is going to continue milking the game well beyond an hour, or so I believed.
Arguments ensure, and opinions are thrown around to no avail. The most pathetic part of the story is here; please do not mock me, I am serious. I ask the enemy team if they're thinking of, I don't know, maybe finishing the game? They already have about a 3 to 1 ratio in kills more than us. Oh, but this game is not about K/D, why don't I go play COD or something, right..? Anyway, I continue to talk to the enemy team about how long they're going to milk the game, if they're thinking of ending it, and one of them replied; "just surrender, simple enough?". Yeah. If only.

They were having fun, they didn't want it to end. Fair enough? I suppose. I explain to them that well over thirty minutes ago, I had attempted to persuade my team to surrender, as seen by the many surrender attempts, and the many enflamed arguments which ensued, some of my statements which appeared to the enemy in /all chat, due to hitting shift+enter stupidly in anger.
Anyway, I assume my team was kind of feeling stupid, that I had to ask the enemy to win. Mind you, this whole time I had been trying to stop the enemy, and had the least deaths of all my team members.

One guy ended up going AFK. I told my team we had an afk, we certainly had no chance, right? Wrong. They rejected the surrender spitefully as if they were fighting ME; not the truthful and actual enemy. In the end, I told my team I had better things to do then watch them play a game of revenge, and told them I would simply lane, play it safe and continue calling for them, but not engage in any team v team fights.
The "battle" we were fighting (and losing, majestically), had ensued for the past 10 minutes before I decided, what the hell, I would prefer to get banned rather than live my life in this single game. "I'm going," I told my teammates. "I have put up with this long enough, and am going to do something important irl". I, of course, being me had nothing important to do IRL, nonetheless, I was tired, depressed and bored of the game all at once.

So my champion went and stood in the Field of Justice, beside the shopkeeper, with me still sitting at my computer, watching the game, and I told my team that they were going to need good luck playing 3 v 5, because I am going to be joining the AFK guy, not willing to participate in this particular game any longer. Guess what? The enemy team showed some sympathy toward me and finally crushed our inhibitors, and were about to destroy the nexus, when, wouldn't you know it, "Fine.." said one of my teammates, as he started a surrender vote. Something was different in the atmosphere, I could feel it as my team embarrassingly clicked yes, one by one.

"GG". I said, and tried to show even the slightest bit of humanity and decency, and not attack my teammates during the post-game chat. I had a lovely conversation with the enemy team, where they said "Oh! He is one of THOSE guys, which THOSE kind of things happen to." I guess, they were all friends, partied up together. 'F*** this' I thought, and grabbed my COD: Modern Warfare 2 case, and decided to play a little Mercenary.

Thanks for reading, whoever may have. I hope you enjoyed this information and story, and found it a little insightful. Yes, the story from about half way through this Original Post is based off a true happening in-game. The story, is spiced up a bit, and includes speculation on my part. Although I really did ask the other team to hurry up and make a final push to defeat us. (Which they had plenty of chances to do, BTW.)

If you felt I have wasted your time by making you read through this thread, my apologies. But remember, I didn't make you read through this thread. You chose to. (Yeah, shut up, smart-ass)
But on a more serious note, I am sorry for wasting anyone's time who didn't either enjoy the story, or find my information/perspectives useful in any way. If you have had a depressing day, just remember, IT COULD BE AS BAD AS THIS.

belthazor3457

03-11-2012

We have arrived, and it is now that we perform our charge. In fealty to the God-Emperor, our undying Lord, and by the grace of the golden throne... I declare exterminatus on this thread. I hearby sign the death warrant of all its comments, and consign any potential likes to oblivion.

May internet justice account in all balance. The Emperor protects.

Jaykoboy

03-11-2012

Deep Thought has given this thread some thought, and declared that the answer...

Is not 42.

Vogon destruction troops are on their way. Make yourselves scarce, maybe hitchhike onto the next solar system over.

Reise92

03-12-2012

Couldn't you have gone straight to a moderator and appealed for this threads removal, rather than troll me with your post?
Couldn't you rather than have attacked me as well as any other who would rather give feedback so as to improve my structure/future posts, just have told me to take it down myself?
Sure, your post has had more thought given into it than my story. And the information I give is not at all amusing, and you do not approve of trash-talking in probably, any game. On top of this, it is stuff that everybody should already know...
Well, obviously some don't. This is why we need trash-talking. To avoid attacking each-other in the forums, where everything should be left debatable or to consensus, rather than saying "If you post here, I am going to **** with your mother, until you wish you were never born."
Obviously 90% of the LoL society does not appreciate my sharing. Sorry for sharing.

belthazor3457

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reise92 View Post
Couldn't you have gone straight to a moderator and appealed for this threads removal, rather than troll me with your post?
Couldn't you rather than have attacked me as well as any other who would rather give feedback so as to improve my structure/future posts, just have told me to take it down myself?
Sure, your post has had more thought given into it than my story. And the information I give is not at all amusing, and you do not approve of trash-talking in probably, any game. On top of this, it is stuff that everybody should already know...
Well, obviously some don't. This is why we need trash-talking. To avoid attacking each-other in the forums, where everything should be left debatable or to consensus, rather than saying "If you post here, I am going to **** with your mother, until you wish you were never born."
Obviously 90% of the LoL society does not appreciate my sharing. Sorry for sharing.
That's correct, the entire LoL community is full of evil people who would rather not see any issues in your post (which I have not actually bothered to read more than the first couple lines of) addressed because we are all evil. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you posted this in the wrong forum.

Now I am going to go do evil stuff.

P.S. -

If I simply went to ask for a moderator, I would not have been entertained by this response and your delicious QQ beverage tears. Your grief sustains me.