Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why are lanes always visible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hamai

03-11-2012

Why they choose to remove fog of war on Dominion lanes? It could be only revealed by minions, or between captured points.

Nyx87

03-11-2012

I have often wondered this myself. I think it's because of the lack of wards available and the push for more aggressive playstyles.

EMeta

03-12-2012

The question is, where would you restrict sight? If you can't see near your own points, it's just going to be a BD-fest, and that's not as fun. If you can see lanes adjacent to your own points, then it gives too much of an advantage to the winning team.

Osensei

03-12-2012

I feel that it is fine as-is.

There is a short strip of FogofWar directly infront of each pathway out of the base and into the jungle.

This way, you can leave your base and use the jungle to migrate anywhere on the map without enemy sight on you (unless you bump into eachother in jungle)

Stralucire

03-12-2012

So that players can watch what the minion waves are doing. Who in their right mind would give up the capacity to keep an eye on minions?

BigDaddyDelish

03-12-2012

They wanted to make the game a lot less focused on buying wards, because if you could buy wards you would inevitably have a ward ***** role and have the entire map covered at all times, completely negating any need for map awareness and also making it impossible to juke (even though that already is the case if they buy lightbringer/sweeper although that is the point of those items).

But they still needed to give you enough vision so you aren't completely in the dark all the time so it's not just an ambush/bd fest and map awareness can still exist without having to have to a spider sense, so they let us see the outer ring and when somebody is going for the storm shield buff. Enough to get a sense of what people are doing, but not so much that we know all the time.

PrimalHatred

03-12-2012

I think it provides a nice choice: the fastest way between two adjacent points is straight down the lane, but it gives vision. If you want to be stealthy about your approach, you have to take a moment longer to do it. Deciding whether you care about stealth or speed is component of good, varied gameplay.

Stralucire

03-12-2012

Quote:
PrimalHatred:
I think it provides a nice choice: the fastest way between two adjacent points is straight down the lane, but it gives vision. If you want to be stealthy about your approach, you have to take a moment longer to do it. Deciding whether you care about stealth or speed is component of good, varied gameplay.

Nooooo no no no no. I mean, not if you use the speed buff. The lane is much, much slower than taking the speed buff through the jungle.

PyGoN

03-12-2012

I think players undervalue the importance of the lane, at least in my level (im 15 currently). A camp who is allowed to push a creep wave is extremly dangerous in this game mode, which is why i believe the lanes are viewable on the minimap. if a champ is camped out on a turrent and staying there to defend it it is clear that you will die diving on the turret, but if you build up the creep wave and there is no resistance from the enemy team you can easily neutralize the turrent and dive the champ.

Take for example you see top is not being defended. i never bum rush the turrent, instead i push the creeps in, that way if a champ comes out of the jungle and dives you, the creeps can still neutralize the point rendering the enemies defense useless. It can be very fun to rebutle a camps burst when capping when the creeps neutralize the point and all your skills are up, very deadly.