Mid guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keyaleron

03-11-2012

Here is a tip for lowbies,newbies, or players wishing to better themselves in the AP mid role.

Runes: the most traditional and most used set up among AP heroes, is Magic penetration reds.heath per level yellows. Flat AP glyphs, or AP per level. and Flat AP quints. the glyphs are really just preferential.

Mastery page: 21/9/0 getting magic resist, additional health and health per level in defensive tree. obviously 21 offensive ap masteries.

Great starting heroes.
There are many great AP mid heroes, but where do you start? do you want a hero with great ganking ability, a hero with a massive amount of AoE damage? or just a good overall champion. My favorite is brand, he has a great amount of AoE damage, a stun, and great farming animation, also VERY easy to play, and very strong spells to boot.

Ahri is new to the league, and is a very great mid hero, great burst, great mobility, and if you can land her charm, you can guarantee a free kill on most champions early game.

Morgana is a great overall champion, great sustain with her spellvamp passive, easy farming ability and a good snare/ult combo, landing a good ultimate can be the difference in a team fight.

Mechanics

Skillshots:Now for each of those champions i listed above, they each use a skillshot, which may make you not want to play them, but they are great once you master your skillshot landing abilities, this will also make you better with other champions

Last hitting:This is a very important thing to master as a mid hero, you may think that it's up to your carry down at bottom to just farm creeps then destroy the enemy team, but when an AP mid hero gets gobs and gobs of farm, they can destroy teams in seconds. the trick is to be able to farm,herass, and win the exchange, learning your enemies cooldowns, and going for the kill when the opportunity presents itself.

Wards and awareness: if you think this is just the support or junglers job, sadly...you are mistaken, everyone except your ad carry should be buying wards, there are a few places notably to place wards as a mid champion, next to their wraith camp near the ramp, and in the bush near their blue on the river. if you pay attention to these two wards you should never be ganked by a jungler.

One of the things most people don't understand, is that with good awareness, a dragon is just a few clicks away. if you and your jungler kill middle, then go for dragon, not the push. the turret will ALWAYS be there, where as the dragon respawns every 6 minutes, so it's better to get this objective whenever its up.Baron is also great to take after you kill the enemy jungler 25+ minutes in the game, maybe sooner if your team is doing well, or you have a lee sin/kogmaw.

Teamfight positioning

One of the MOST IMPORTANT things to do as an AP hero is to blow up the enemy, but you shouldn't just barrel into the enemy team thinking if you nuke their carry, then die, it was a good exchange, stay back. poke poke poke, and when you have the chance, deliver the killing blow to ANY champion, if its a sona who's trying to place a ward, nuke the living **** out of her, you automatically have made the fight a 5v4, and the fight is in your favor.
also if you're able to protect your AD carry with a stun/slow kite, you will win every team fight as long as you're on a level playing field.

Now i know some of this might seem basic to some, but when i was learning, most of this stuff i didn't know, it all comes with practice, hope it helps.

Modi Operandorum

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyaleron View Post

Last hitting:This is a very important thing to master as a mid hero, you may think that it's up to your carry down at bottom to just farm creeps then destroy the enemy team, but when an AP mid hero gets gobs and gobs of farm, they can destroy teams in seconds. the trick is to be able to farm,herass, and win the exchange, learning your enemies cooldowns, and going for the kill when the opportunity presents itself.

Yeah! Farm her ass :P I couldn't resist.

back on topic...decent guidelines. By no means is this an extensive strategy guide, but it is some good simple information for new players.

Good work

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

I have a few issues with the guide but I can see it being useful for people.

Small complaints I had...

#1: Runes
Maybe I'm behind the times but since when are mid ap champs using hp/lvl? Common runes I've used or seen revolve around scaling magic resist, mpen, flat ap and either mp5 or cdr

#2: Masteries
While nothing wrong with picking up some tankyness sooo much more common to do 21/0/9 because mid should be getting virtually all bluebuffs and the increased buff duration is really powerful as well as the increased mana regen and such (esp with ahri being nerfed so much)

As for picks I'd also bring up counter picking and team comps...

if your team lacks damage then you should go a more DPS focused champ such as cass who can continue to pump out huge amounts of damage while rest of your team is tanky/cc based.

if your team lacks cc then you should go a CC focused champ

lack initiation? Pick some up!

Same thing goes for counter picks. if enemy picks a squishy burst based champ who relies on snowballing and early kills *cough* leblanc *cough* then go a tanky sustainable champ such as Ryze or Swain (or karma )