Decide my longterm IRL fate.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FortuitusFortune

Master Recruiter

07-31-2010

Just don't sell drugs or steal cars unless you know your **** because getting ass raped is bad news bears.

Tsavo213

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrik View Post
This is sort of a cry out to 20 somethings who live a relatively satisfying life

I am a disenfranchised 18 year old kid. Standard, middle class kid who has srs decisions to make.

My parent's want me to do what makes me happy, without setting me on a paved course through life. Naturally, I turn to people who have a common interest (no real friends anymore, mind you)

So I graduated high school, and have gotten a taste of the "real world". Working 8 hours a day as a telemarketer, plus a big paper route. Average of 9.5 hours of work per day. Mind you, I don't have rent and have no bills or anything to pay. Just saving money until I get into the real "real world". Telemarketing sucks. Bad. Working a job where everyone you talk to hates you, is not fun. But it is good money.

I realized that having a college degree gives you the fun jobs, but I did poorly in HS, and the debt scares me. Nevertheless, it's still a huge consideration.

So, I'm asking you older LoL players, what did you do with your life and what would you have done differently?

TLDR: What do?
Poet has some good advice but because of our current economic situation applying that advice is rather difficult. He even points it out in his post "I'm now one of millions of college grads looking for work".

I did well in high school and I did great in college. I finished my last two semesters in college with a 4.0 and made the dean's list of scholars. I busted my ass at my internship often staying out till four in the morning some nights working on a "special project". Fast forward fourteen months and where am I? Back at home with my parents without any type of job.

The only jobs I have gotten since graduating college have been part time seasonal positions. And they were low skill jobs paying close to minimum wage. For a long time after graduating I thought it was just me that I had just chosen a poor career field. After talking with a lot of my fellow graduates and doing my own research this is simply not the case. According to various news sources over 80% of current college graduates return home to live with their parents (up from 60% since the economic melt down). Those same sources also state that the average unemployment rate for the 18-29 bracket is close to 37% (37% is higher than the unemployment rate of the great depression).

While poet says "do not let the debt deter you" in this current economy you have to taken all expenses into mind. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a job after you graduate. Granted four years from now I hope our economic situation is different.

The sad facts are that grads today are facing harder challenges than ever we are competing for fewer jobs against generations before us who have now become unemployed. Meaning there are more experienced professionals willing to accept positions that normally would be occupied by college graduates.

To sum it all up in a few bulletin points:
  • Grads from 2010 are competing with grads from 2009
  • Grads are competing with late 20 early 30 y/o professionals
  • Grads bring little or no job experience to the table
I wish I would have been lazy like some of my fellow classmates and takin longer to graduate since I had a scholarship. But no my dumb ass had to finish on time.

If you are in good health both physically and mentally the best thing for an 18 y/o to do is join the military. You will get so many perks once you come out of the military it is unbelievable.
  • You will gain vast amounts of OTJ training
  • A military service history will shine on your resume
  • You will be able to claim veterans preference on government jobs.
  • The military will help pay for your college
  • Current economic conditions are likely to have changed once your service is complete
I am sorry if I painted a gloomy picture but it is just the reality I am living in. I wish now I had joined the military as soon as I graduated high school.

Ad Victoriam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

I'm in school and love it. You meet so many cool people, learn a bunch of stuff, and get a piece of paper that says you're better than everyone else.

Go to school.

Lucid Dreaming

07-31-2010

Doesn't it suck that society's general goal in life is to slave away at a job until old age?

Tsavo213

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Dreaming View Post
Doesn't it suck that society's general goal in life is to slave away at a job until old age?
You mean I should aspire to do more in life than be a puppet?! What country can I do that in?

CaddyWomper

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavo213 View Post
Poet has some good advice but because of our current economic situation applying that advice is rather difficult. He even points it out in his post "I'm now one of millions of college grads looking for work".

I did well in high school and I did great in college. I finished my last two semesters in college with a 4.0 and made the dean's list of scholars. I busted my ass at my internship often staying out till four in the morning some nights working on a "special project". Fast forward fourteen months and where am I? Back at home with my parents without any type of job.

The only jobs I have gotten since graduating college have been part time seasonal positions. And they were low skill jobs paying close to minimum wage. For a long time after graduating I thought it was just me that I had just chosen a poor career field. After talking with a lot of my fellow graduates and doing my own research this is simply not the case. According to various news sources over 80% of current college graduates return home to live with their parents (up from 60% since the economic melt down). Those same sources also state that the average unemployment rate for the 18-29 bracket is close to 37% (37% is higher than the unemployment rate of the great depression).

While poet says "do not let the debt deter you" in this current economy you have to taken all expenses into mind. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a job after you graduate. Granted four years from now I hope our economic situation is different.

The sad facts are that grads today are facing harder challenges than ever we are competing for fewer jobs against generations before us who have now become unemployed. Meaning there are more experienced professionals willing to accept positions that normally would be occupied by college graduates.

To sum it all up in a few bulletin points:
  • Grads from 2010 are competing with grads from 2009
  • Grads are competing with late 20 early 30 y/o professionals
  • Grads bring little or no job experience to the table
I wish I would have been lazy like some of my fellow classmates and takin longer to graduate since I had a scholarship. But no my dumb ass had to finish on time.

If you are in good health both physically and mentally the best thing for an 18 y/o to do is join the military. You will get so many perks once you come out of the military it is unbelievable.
  • You will gain vast amounts of OTJ training
  • A military service history will shine on your resume
  • You will be able to claim veterans preference on government jobs.
  • The military will help pay for your college
  • Current economic conditions are likely to have changed once your service is complete
I am sorry if I painted a gloomy picture but it is just the reality I am living in. I wish now I had joined the military as soon as I graduated high school.
Yet some poor person supports his family and house by cutting trees.
It dont matter what you do, if you try your hardest you can make it, "Failure is only a change of mind"
Keep trying man you'll get a job someday, just gotta keep applying staying till you get to talk to the boss/manager.

CaddyWomper

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Dreaming View Post
Who says you have to?

Nein9nine

07-31-2010

Eh, you're still young. You can go to school now and start earning money earlier, or just wait a few years to do some different things and experience the other things in life and start school when you are a bit older. I'd say twenty two or so.

Personally I am going back to University. I graduated last year, and attended a one year culinary program. Got taught all the things needed in 8 months, then got to work in fine dining hotel for three months. Definately a experience worth going through. Although I won't be going into the culinary profession anymore, I have learned alot along the way and it was definately worth it.

I assume you are in the States, so schooling is quite abit more expensive over there. Loans you shouldn't really sweat about, although it looks like a large amount, you will pay it off slowly in the end. Either that or leave it to your kids XD.

I'm also not sure how it is in the States but up here in Canada, we have alot of Polytechnic schools for trades and such. And trades are pretty good for money, although just alittle bit more physically demanding.

I guess what I am saying is, you are still young. I wouldn't sweat about your future too much quite yet. It is already said that an average person changes their career 5 times in their whole life. So what might not work out at the start will just be another beginning for another job! School is good for you, but you don't need to rush yourself if you don't know what you want to do. Or you can figure it out as you are going through school.

Not sure if any of this makes sense or will help, but those are my thoughts on this subject.