Decide my longterm IRL fate.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vladrik

07-31-2010

This is sort of a cry out to 20 somethings who live a relatively satisfying life

I am a disenfranchised 18 year old kid. Standard, middle class kid who has srs decisions to make.

My parent's want me to do what makes me happy, without setting me on a paved course through life. Naturally, I turn to people who have a common interest (no real friends anymore, mind you)

So I graduated high school, and have gotten a taste of the "real world". Working 8 hours a day as a telemarketer, plus a big paper route. Average of 9.5 hours of work per day. Mind you, I don't have rent and have no bills or anything to pay. Just saving money until I get into the real "real world". Telemarketing sucks. Bad. Working a job where everyone you talk to hates you, is not fun. But it is good money.

I realized that having a college degree gives you the fun jobs, but I did poorly in HS, and the debt scares me. Nevertheless, it's still a huge consideration.

So, I'm asking you older LoL players, what did you do with your life and what would you have done differently?

TLDR: What do?

Poet

07-31-2010

At 21 I abandoned a ****ty graveyard shift job that paid me good money; took up a comfortable job at Borders making less. Got serious about community college courses; got my associates which allowed me to get into Arizona State without any concern about my terribad GPA and horrible SAT scores. Meet my girlfriend there (whom I plan to propose to), and I'm now one of millions of college grads looking for work. My advice to you is to at least finish up your associates at a junior college; you'll save yourself a lot of money and that will buy you time to consider what you want to do. Once you have that, the University level goes by pretty fast.

Even if you think school isn't for you right now, you may reconsider it again at a later age. So it's worth the 2 year investment in my opinion. However, don't **** around just because it's community college and the tuition is affordable; you can lull yourself into dangerous sense of complacency just because you're not risking a lot there--it's in your best interest to get in and get out asap.

And if you want to make a go at life without a college degree, don't half ass that either. I have cousins who are doing pretty decent for their families (about 40-50k a year), but they worked their asses off to get to where they are.

Basically, my word of advice is to work as hard as you can and stay positive. You don't need to have your whole life paved out, but I do recommend having the tools ready so that when you decide where you want to go, you can start laying the concrete.

Vladrik

07-31-2010

Surprising constructive post. thanks poet.

Poet

07-31-2010

Btw, don't let the debt of (most) universities scare you. Think of it as a motivator. Once you owe 10k+, there's no way you're going to procrastinate when there's an essay to finish, because there's no way you're going to allow yourself to fail, because there's no way you want to start paying off that debt immediately.It's actually pretty awesome, because it removes the option of getting a D. You will find that you're capable of a lot more when your back is against the wall. Is it stressful? Of course, but that's life. Does it involve a heavy investment? Sure, but most good things in life do. Hell, a lot of lawyers and doctors end up with 100k loans, but their set once they land a job.

Kragorn

07-31-2010

Poet gives really good advice.

Telemarketing does suck (I just don't answer the phone at home haha), but it's good you are out there doing some of these jobs to know that this is not what you want to do forever. It's great that you are asking these questions now.

My advice:

1. See if you can find a line of work that interests you. Is there anything that you really enjoy doing that would also be a good career path (i.e has good income potential)? If you are not sure try to make a decision on the best viable path and go from there. At some point, unless you want to keep doing the type of jobs you are doing, you need to map out a career path and go for it.

2. Related to #1, do some career research. What jobs are going to be in demand in the future and are there some that match up to your interests? You can check on the internet and there should be some local career centers around. Be sure to choose a viable (well paying, in-demand) career. Unfortunately I know some people that decided to go to top private schools and graduate in English. They are now saddled with huge debt and are back working the same type of jobs they could get without the degree. Not where you want to be.

3. If you are going to go to college, consider the community college route first since your grades/SATs are not good. Associates is a great idea. Be sure to check out their transfer record and success rate and have an idea of where you want to end up. You might be able to re-take your SATs if you think you can do better.

4. I would go for a public university. The cost/reward is very favorable and they are usually easier to get into as they are chartered to support in-state students.

It sounds like your parents are able to support you once you choose whatever path you would like to go on. I wouldn't worry so much about the debt as long as you choose your path well. That is, as long as you get a degree in a viable, decently paying career it will work out.

Good luck!!!

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

School is worth it MOST of the time.

Be realistic, know what you are going to major in by the end of your first year after doing core reqs. College is DEFINATELY worth it, just for the experience in some cases (if you are in a really bad ditch and need to work during school, then online college isn't the worst thing), BUT make sure you realistically know what you are getting.

Its all about DEGREE SELECTION. Look at the job opportunities and pay with your planned degree, countered with the cost of attending college. If you are going to a really expensive school, majoring in art if you are not the best at it is NOT smart. I mean if art is your passion, go for it, just know realistically you won't make much but as long as your happy, fine. Just go to a cheap school so you aren't drowning in debt. Don't major in philosophy if you don't plan to go to law school, don't major in biology unless you plan to teach in high school or become a professor (its much smarter for premeds to major in chemistry as you can get non doctor jobs if being a doctor fails. Heck you can major in speech and be a premed, you'll probably have a better gpa doing that too), etc.

(though I think even if you choose the STUPIDEST major ever, you can still pull through a professor job if you finish grad school)

Kiddalee

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
Poet gives really good advice.

Telemarketing does suck (I just don't answer the phone at home haha), but it's good you are out there doing some of these jobs to know that this is not what you want to do forever. It's great that you are asking these questions now.

My advice:

1. See if you can find a line of work that interests you. Is there anything that you really enjoy doing that would also be a good career path (i.e has good income potential)? If you are not sure try to make a decision on the best viable path and go from there. At some point, unless you want to keep doing the type of jobs you are doing, you need to map out a career path and go for it.

2. Related to #1, do some career research. What jobs are going to be in demand in the future and are there some that match up to your interests? You can check on the internet and there should be some local career centers around. Be sure to choose a viable (well paying, in-demand) career. Unfortunately I know some people that decided to go to top private schools and graduate in English. They are now saddled with huge debt and are back working the same type of jobs they could get without the degree. Not where you want to be.

3. If you are going to go to college, consider the community college route first since your grades/SATs are not good. Associates is a great idea. Be sure to check out their transfer record and success rate and have an idea of where you want to end up. You might be able to re-take your SATs if you think you can do better.

4. I would go for a public university. The cost/reward is very favorable and they are usually easier to get into as they are chartered to support in-state students.

It sounds like your parents are able to support you once you choose whatever path you would like to go on. I wouldn't worry so much about the debt as long as you choose your path well. That is, as long as you get a degree in a viable, decently paying career it will work out.

Good luck!!!
This is so right. Don't be another person who just went to college because school is all he knows. You need to know why you're there. Pick your passion or pick a career path.

Look at how many people are in post-secondary these days. The competition is so bad, having a degree might only be enough to get you out of telemarketing. Whatever you do, you must be better than everybody else. You. Will. Be. Better. Than. Everybody. Else. Yes you will, because you know you have to be.

HeyJon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

when i was 17 i joined the army left that at 18. Now at 20 i am in college never in a million year did i think i would get into such a high standard college ( i failed a ton of classes) so just do what you love and fate will guide you.

Kiddalee

07-31-2010

I forgot to mention that while English is not the most practical degree choice, Business isn't, either. Business by itself is for people who don't know what they want but heard that English was useless. They need to realize that not knowing what you want makes ANYTHING useless. However, supposedly useless degrees can get you into graduate school or combine with a second skill. For example, English and Business together are good because you can be a literary agent, marketer, press correspondent...

CaddyWomper

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrik View Post
This is sort of a cry out to 20 somethings who live a relatively satisfying life

I am a disenfranchised 18 year old kid. Standard, middle class kid who has srs decisions to make.

My parent's want me to do what makes me happy, without setting me on a paved course through life. Naturally, I turn to people who have a common interest (no real friends anymore, mind you)

So I graduated high school, and have gotten a taste of the "real world". Working 8 hours a day as a telemarketer, plus a big paper route. Average of 9.5 hours of work per day. Mind you, I don't have rent and have no bills or anything to pay. Just saving money until I get into the real "real world". Telemarketing sucks. Bad. Working a job where everyone you talk to hates you, is not fun. But it is good money.

I realized that having a college degree gives you the fun jobs, but I did poorly in HS, and the debt scares me. Nevertheless, it's still a huge consideration.

So, I'm asking you older LoL players, what did you do with your life and what would you have done differently?

TLDR: What do?
Bro go to a Junior college, or community college, and start working part time, you can get college credits for literally half the price. And you should try making friends... **** gets real boring in college without them.