K Riot, seriously... About the lore.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaRatmastah

12-20-2012

Guys...I'm giving up. Lore is pretty much dead. I still love the characters riot creates. Hell, Vi is probably my favorite character of theirs ever. But it's done, it's over. We're going to get brief backstories of champions to make them seem cool without expanding the universe or limiting their creative options(coming up with legitimate reasons for said character to join the league), and then we'll occasionally get AMAs that don't really offer any more on those two things. And that's it. It's become pretty clear at this point.

Sorry, I wish it wasn't true, but all evidence has pointed to this. Lore has gotten increasingly stingy and infrequent since the JoJ stopped. It's just getting worse, and we're not getting any sign of forward progress on the subject outside of what they told us a year ago.

DaRatmastah

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakanous View Post
I've been having an issue with this as well. The last judgement I read was from Varus, who was released around the time I started playing this game early this summer. I like it and thought it explained a good deal about why he joined, but it's on and off as to how people got into the league in the first place and what the league is accomplishing.

It's supposed to be for "settling diplomatic disputes" in a controlled environment. What disputes? For who? For what? The general idea is there, but overall there's a lot that is left unsaid and is unsatisfying. They could do so much with this game to add to gameplay through the means of lore, yet it's being left out to dry while we get overridden with 2-3 champions with questionable motives each month. I hope it changes.
Fun fact: Riot's creative team didn't even write the Varus judgement.

KibaWolf04

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

bump for lore!

Schamanee

12-20-2012

Bump for Lore! Come on Kitae, anyone!

Proelium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I'll take "Posts Riot will ignore" for 500 Alex.

Helm

12-20-2012

Half heartedly posting/upvoting this in the hopes of some red attention. Please riot, bring back the lore

Schamanee

12-21-2012

Bump!

CabecoteNA

12-21-2012

I'm sad they didnt do a Nami lore's AMA. Heck they didnt do a Vi one either....

Schamanee

12-21-2012

Bump again for Lore!

NamKim

12-21-2012

I have friends who were also loved the lore. He instantly fell in love with Xerath's lore and he still mids with him even though he is not one of the best AP mids.

He doubts Riot can recover from this. He believes that Riot cannot simply "backtrack" and fill in the lore. There needs to be some hype for the champion during their release. Diana's release had some hype to it. It split the community into two, Protect the Faith or Embrace the Heresy. It made people want to buy Diana. IronStyus's code game foreshadowing Diana made people look forward to Diana even further. Especially since the game was done weeks to months in advance. People just thought IronStylus was being crazy, but we like him so we humored him by playing his game. When Diana was announced, everyone was like "OMG, this is what IronStylus was trying to tell us!!"

Keep in mind that this was not something that was planned. Tell us Riot, why is something you guys didn't even plan out for a champion release ended up being as exciting as the release of Pulsefire Ezreal?

During Jayce's release, there was a massive uproar about Jayce's lore and how it made Viktor look like a cardboard Saturday morning villain. They said that if we knew the whole story between the two then we would be amazed at the epic struggle between then. My friend who loves Xerath also loves Viktor. He said that the Jayce and Viktor lore cannot be fixed. Riot missed their opportunity and going back to continue their conflict will have a small impact because no one cares anymore since Jayce already passed.

It's like saying

"Soraka was a healer that was led by the voices of the stars. She was tricked by her enemy. Now she can no longer hear the voices of the stars."

"Warwick was a wicked man who took an incomplete potion for power. He is now slowly losing his mind unless he can drink a completed version of the potion.

Now, fast forward a year...or two...

"Singed made the incomplete potion, he warned Warwick but he refused to listen. Only a large amount of Soraka's blood can complete the potion. Soraka was tricked by Warwick to attack his enemies so he could kill Soraka and use her blood to complete the potion. Soraka hurting others with her powers made her mortal and lost the ability to listen to the stars."

"Soraka decided to join the League of Legends because...something. Warwick joined the League of Legends because Soraka's there. But killing her there does nothing...so, yeah..."

We don't really care about Soraka and Warwick's lore anymore. Their time has passed, we just lost interest. Updating their lore actually made them less. In the old lore, Soraka joined the League of Legends hoping to regain favor with the stars. Warwick joined the League of Legends because Soraka is his old time enemy. Soraka is now mortal and he just loves killing her over and over again.

With the release of Vi, she's Caitlyn's partner. Great, why should I care about Caitlyn? She was released like two years ago and haven't heard really anything about her in a long time. Heck, I thought Jayce was now protecting Piltover. If Vi had a connection with Jayce, that would have been cooler since Jayce is still a relatively fresh champion. We are still in that period where we are still somewhat interested in who Jayce is. Also, giant hammer-gun, giant fists, kind of see a better connection there.

They started to make AMA. Keep in mind that the reason they got rid of their old ways of telling lore is because

Quote:
While we have enjoyed providing you with these additional windows into the Lore of our Champions and the world of Runeterra, we have come to realize that the formats we'd chosen have their limitations. Judgments are stories limited in that they occur only during the intake of a Champion into the League of Legends. The Journal of Justice is limited in that it can only contain in-setting journalistic articles. We have found that these limitations are preventing us from providing you with the background and stories that we really want to share with you, ones that will better appeal to a broad audience.
What? AMA are better than Judgments and Journal of Justice because they are not limited of a Champion intake into the League of Legends and are not in journalistic articles. Even though Riot can easily change anything they said in an AMA because they're not technically an official lore of a champion. They can easily make a lore of a champion that disagrees with everything they said in an AMA and say "AMA's are no longer canon. Champions AMA were not part of the client, which further shows that they are not canon. Journal of Justice actually appeared in the client, meaning a significantly greater number of people read them.

Rioters, can you see why I am frustrated? The Champion AMA are completely contradicting the reason why you got rid of JoJ and Judgments. They would have made great additions to the lore. But as far as we're concern, they replaced them. Meaning, in terms of lore, you significantly downgraded.

At least with the Stealth Rework, you guys at least said "we're still working on it. It's more complicated than one might think. But rest assure, it is still being worked on."

Twisted Treeline, a massive rework came...after RiotNome joined and became the public face of Dominion and Twisted Treeline. He joined the beginning of summer, until then, people didn't even know if Twisted Treeline was even going to get small patches to make it more balanced. It took two and a half years before you guys finally went, "Oh, we got a team together to fix these problems. Yeah, we might have been working on it before but we decided not to say anything until this RiotNome guy joined. Even though he just joined so as far as you guys are concern, we didn't even bother doing anything until RiotNome joined us."

Dominion, since it's release, dedicated Dominion players have been leaving out of frustration due to its lack of attention. Dominion is finally getting some attention and balancing done. I know some of them caused more problems than fix them. But we are still very grateful that we can expect a more balanced map in the future. We want ranked, but we can now somewhat believe you guys when you say "we want to see the map mature before we give you ranked" because you guys are actually making an effort to "mature" the map. I mean, a lot of high elo Dominion players think that Dominion is ready for ranked but I won't go into that.

President Tryn and Morello even stated that Riot's communication on non-SR maps sucked. Tryn told us that Riot will change that from now on.

Every time there is a big controversy, Riot's lack of communication is what makes it worse. People reading this thread can probably think of at least three occasions right off their heads of times when if a Rioter made an official statement/thread going "This is our stance. We are sorry if you do not like it. These are the reasons why. Feel free to disagree but we will not change our minds" that the problems would die down. The frustrated people would leave...only to return in a few days. The "white knights" can back you up a lot easier since they have something to go off of. The people who don't care gets a calmed down forum.

Look at pricing. As far as we're concern, until Hippalus joined, no one at Riot even though about making a price reduction plan/pricing plan. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. We get it that you cannot tell us everything, but at least let us know if something is being worked on.

I remember this interview where someone asked "Will there be more Pulsefire Ezreals?" The answer was "we cannot tell you that. But what we can tell you is that PulseFire Ezreal was an experiment. And Riot is still conducting experiments."

This hinted at the possibility that Riot was making more skins like PulseFire Ezreal. But they didn't officially state it so there is no promise. But it makes us excited to see what Riot will bring in the future.

I'm sorry that I am being a blunt and I'm making a bigger deal than it actually is on purpose. Some of my things might not be the most accurate. But despite what Rioters say, posts like mine are the ones you actually respond to. I want to be the nice forum user but I feel the need to voice my opinions every once in awhile.