Can someone explain Dominion to me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frank O Shen

03-10-2012

So, I've not played a whole lot of Dominion because I cannot seem to win it under any circumstance. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. There has not been one single match where I wasn't first on my team, and my objective score is always higher than my combat score. Honestly, that's all the detail I can give you. I try to help my team and move around as needed. Maybe it's my picks? I've played Kog, Nidalee, Singed, Ziggs, Ezreal, and Udyr from what I remember. Can someone just give me a quick run down on somewhat "carrying" solo queue dominion?

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2012

Key to success in Dominion: Teamwork

konfetarius

03-10-2012

A common set of judgement mistakes in Dominion is capping when you should be fighting and fighting when you should be capping.

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetarius View Post
A common set of judgement mistakes in Dominion is capping when you should be fighting and fighting when you should be capping.
This is very true, but it's hard to put into words exactly how to judge when is the case for which. If you outnumber the enemy on a turret you are trying to cap, make sure somebody is capping it while the rest fight. Ideally, the team rotates this job (to minimize downtime, since channeling has a CD).
If 3 of the enemy are in the bottom lane trying to take your point, don't send more than 1 person to help defend. Sometimes, send no one. It means that only TWO of their team are defending Top, their mid, and their bot. Capitalize on your numbers advantage and cap. Bot is the easiest turret to reclaim and it's okay to lose it temporarily.
Don't chase a fleeing enemy for more than a few seconds. It's tempting to get that kill, but your time is better spent supporting your team elsewhere, and it's likely they'll drag you into an ambush.

Also, your champ picks are solid. Pretty much all of them are common sights in Dominion. If your K/D/R is pretty good, your objective score is high, AND you aren't just spending the whole game backdooring their mid point*, seems like you personally are doing fine. You might just be having an uncanny streak of bad luck.

*This is the main reason anyone complains about the scoring system meaning nothing. You can get a lot of points by "backdooring" alone and never helping the team. All this does is make you look good, while the enemy swiftly retakes the turret.

DarkTemplar99

03-10-2012

Too many times I see people moving around the map after they have 3 towers. Just defend.

Another problem people have is they see 4 enemies caping a tower so 1 guy goes in to be a hero and ends up exploding to 4 nukes before he is even close to the tower. Just leave the tower alone if you are outnumbered, wait, and group up with your team.

So if you can just do these things and have your team do these things you should win.

larkhill

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTemplar99 View Post
Too many times I see people moving around the map after they have 3 towers. Just defend.

Another problem people have is they see 4 enemies caping a tower so 1 guy goes in to be a hero and ends up exploding to 4 nukes before he is even close to the tower. Just leave the tower alone if you are outnumbered, wait, and group up with your team.

So if you can just do these things and have your team do these things you should win.

this. a million times this.

the only other thing is not focusing the right target. while that singed looks very tempting, please dont focus him...

theres a BIG difference between disruption tanks and regular tanks. disruption tanks like naut, leona and sej are very good at locking down a single person. that doesnt mean everyone dogpile on that person till he dies. that just means that i, as a disruption tank, have deemed this person too dangerous to be left alone and have decided to lock him down. without him, you guys can kill the rest of the enemy team.

Ascleph

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
this. a million times this.

the only other thing is not focusing the right target. while that singed looks very tempting, please dont focus him...

theres a BIG difference between disruption tanks and regular tanks. disruption tanks like naut, leona and sej are very good at locking down a single person. that doesnt mean everyone dogpile on that person till he dies. that just means that i, as a disruption tank, have deemed this person too dangerous to be left alone and have decided to lock him down. without him, you guys can kill the rest of the enemy team.
Actually, if Leona is locking someone down, you WANT to target him.... thats kind of how her passive works

GrignardTS

03-10-2012

Map awareness, much like SR, is extremely important. Knowing where the oponents are (or last were), what points are open, if bottom is safe.

Ping to help teammates. Communicate. Despite what the Dominion tryhards say, you cannot needlessly die on point and in the jungle and expect to win.

DG TheFeedski

03-10-2012

I have some free time today. If you'd like to add me in game I could give you a huuuuge run down of basically the do's and don't and some more advanced game play in some voice chat system (too much to type). Anyone else could feel free to join too.

Draydan

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inward View Post
So, I've not played a whole lot of Dominion because I cannot seem to win it under any circumstance. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. There has not been one single match where I wasn't first on my team, and my objective score is always higher than my combat score. Honestly, that's all the detail I can give you. I try to help my team and move around as needed. Maybe it's my picks? I've played Kog, Nidalee, Singed, Ziggs, Ezreal, and Udyr from what I remember. Can someone just give me a quick run down on somewhat "carrying" solo queue dominion?
Two simple rules that help me win enough (and moved me from ~1500 to ~1700):

1) qdodge when free champs >1 in team (or when picked 1 bad free champ).
I always feel very bad when I give my teammates a chance and not qdodge when (1) happens. Its almost always a humiliating loss.
2) qdodge when >1 ranged AD or >1 AP (AP Tank is not counted)
Melee fighters with gapclosers rule the Dominion.
3) qdodge Teemo... JK. With this one you can never be sure