Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Solo queue draft pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaladilae

03-10-2012

If you are first pick, and you want to play a hero that could be counterpicked, would you still pick it?

I wanted to play Kat today, but then i was first pick, and i know if i pick her, we will have 5 hard cc on the other team.

I tried to communicate to my team for a trade (last pick trade) but then my roster is not that big and people kinda refuse to communicate.

I know this can happen too with almost any hero since there are always counters, any suggestion? Or communication is the only way to go?

0shi

03-10-2012

*I* would. But that's a reflection on my personal arrogance and incompetence, not a well-reasoned position. I'd try the communication thing, myself. If people don't want to help you out, just go with the pick.

Sauron

03-10-2012

You have less than a 20% chance to be captain when solo queuing since premades take precedence. If you want to play a counterable champion in draft, just wait for a game where you're low on the list unless your teammates are willing to swap. You can also dodge if you really hate being captain, just be sure to do it early so you aren't pissing people off.

I am the designated Yorick player on my team. If Yorick ever goes unbanned, he gets passed to me regardless of whatever I feel like playing. Several other of my teammates also have designated champions if they get left open; some of us even have backup designations if multiple go free. This is something we accept. When I am solo queuing, I treat champ select no differently.

Degnared

03-11-2012

Speaking as a mostly solo/duo player, I feel bound to try to get the best first pick possible for my team when I'm captain. I will frequently offer to trade that pick, because playing poppy/kass/urgot/etc over and over gets boring, but I usually won't pick an easily counterable (or even non-"tier 1&quot champ if I'm an early pick. Many people dislike doing this, and I can't say they're wrong--after all it's just a game, and there's some merit to picking whoever you want to play simply because you want to that champion in that moment. However, a lot of the fun in a competitive game comes from winning, so I get pretty annoyed at people who first pick kat or first pick heimer bot (just two examples) because they can't be bothered to wait for a good time or even ask for a trade.

That said, I am 100% guilty of first picking new champions that I happen to adopt early *cough* Fiora *cough cough*

Metroid Queen

Recruiter

03-11-2012

Why, yes. I'm probably going to get frowned upon for even telling you guys that I've been maining Kayle. (AS, not AP)

Yeah, I'd still pick her because I'm just that distrustful of teams. = ='

I wouldn't recommend following in my shoes, simply because it's probably not the wisest choice in a team game.

That, and I haven't the patience for soloqueue draftpick. xD