Summoner's Showcase and Fanfiction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xwlr

03-10-2012

Take a look at this thread:
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=243666

Pretty massive with 5 Riot posts so far and 3630 upvotes on the suggestion yet still no skin. If this isn't happening then I don't know why should we have any hope...

Cerubois

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Besides, 99% of []x[] fics are not that good either way, mostly because the writer chooses this as his topic, not something creative and new.
While I can agree with the rest of your post, this is totally uncalled for. Saying we're not being creative or new is ridiculous. We're taking a limited amount of information and creating a world out of it, just as much as any other fanfiction is. If anything, we're going a step further to form a more complicated relationship with the characters, rather than "Hello fellow champion, let's fight together/against each other".

There's a reason the ___x___ fanfics on here are consistently popular, and it's not because people just like the idea of them. They're all well-written and well-reviewed. I, for one, am writing mine into a proper story, and putting the relationship as a gradual buildup alongside it. I know this may not be the case for everyone, but the way you decide that only 1% of them are actually good is really offensive. Please mind your words.

Ryugi Kazamaru

03-10-2012

There is a difference between just writing a relationship, and writing a story.

In my story, for example, I may or may not place some of the characters into a semi-romantic state with one another. But, if I do, it will be part of the story. My story does not revolve around the relationships, it revolves around the plot.

As for the Fanfiction being part of the Showcase, I'll put it bluntly and truthfully.

Everyone can enjoy LoL-Themed Cupcakes, or funny videos, arts and crafts, and fanart of the characters. Not everyone can enjoy fanfiction. Do we, as authors, work just as hard in our own way to create our works? Of course we do.

Well, most of us anyway. There are those people who write things like "Kassadin's Awesome Towerdive" or something (If you don't know what this is, you don't want to know, even if it is fairly horrific and hilarious).

But the fact of the matter is that our writing, our community, is incredibly niche, and doesn't appeal to the vast majority of LoL players. Therefore, despite our hard work and commitment to our stories, they will not be placed in the showcase alongside PVC Figurines or fleece Teemo hats.

We just don't appeal to the audience.

nyarlaBROtep

03-11-2012

Maybe we could start a petition, or a thread, to at least get them to mention us in the next showcase? Just something simple to at least acknowledge us as a community.

Thoughts?

Ask Riven

03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieLover314 View Post
Maybe we could start a petition, or a thread, to at least get them to mention us in the next showcase? Just something simple to at least acknowledge us as a community.

Thoughts?
I don't know if that's the right approach. To most people, it may just make us sound like we're needy and desperate for attention.

I just wish a Red would show up and comment on the matter. Even a simple 'Hey guys, we do actually read your stuff and like it, but we're not allowed to comment on it.' Right now it just feels like we're being ignored by not only the players, but also the people who gave us this forum in the first place.

A spot on the Showcase every now and then would be more than enough, but I wouldn't feel right trying to force it on them. I want them to do it because they want to.

(Edit: /OOC and stuff. )