Summoner's Showcase and Fanfiction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerubois

03-09-2012

Do you think that fanfiction should have a place in the Summoner's Showcase? I've been pondering this for quite a while, and I feel that a lot of skill is being ignored.

The vast majority of work displayed on there is visual art (drawings, crafts, etc), with the rest coming from music. To my knowledge, they have yet to use a piece of writing.

What are your thoughts? Should we fanfiction writers have our share of the glory? Or are we rightly shunned by Riot, who rarely even make an appearance here? (I can't blame them, really. Some of the stuff we come up with is pretty crazy.)

xwlr

03-09-2012

I do agree. True that some of the stuff is crazy, but there are some amazing stuff out here too, that really deserves to be shown to the players. I guess it's just that showing pictures is a lot easier. And yes, I guess we should be happy to have a showcase at all too, but since we do have it, at least they could include some writings once in a while, not necessarily one in each.

Grand Viper

03-09-2012

Nnnn, I have to say I disagree with you, Mr. President. Writing is a lot harder to showcase, especially if it's a long story. It would make sense if they showcased a really well made poem or fan written song for example, since they're significantly shorter, but 80+ worth of pages? Could you imagine recommending everyone to read non-canon writings? If it were to happen, that'd be great, but I would imagine how hard it is, especially designating and stating "This is good, this is not."

xwlr

03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Viper View Post
Nnnn, I have to say I disagree with you, Mr. President. Writing is a lot harder to showcase, especially if it's a long story. It would make sense if they showcased a really well made poem or fan written song for example, since they're significantly shorter, but 80+ worth of pages? Could you imagine recommending everyone to read non-canon writings? If it were to happen, that'd be great, but I would imagine how hard it is, especially designating and stating "This is good, this is not."

Yeah, it's true that it's more difficult to showcase writing and that's why they should do it only once in a while. Like once per 5-7 showcases. And by the way, no one determines what is bad, only what is good, and that is just as much relative with images, sculptures and songs as it is with writings. The other thing is that fanfictions don't really last 80+ pages, only very few of them. And if non canon images can be recommended then non canon writings can be too.

Grand Viper

03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwlr View Post
Yeah, it's true that it's more difficult to showcase writing and that's why they should do it only once in a while. Like once per 5-7 showcases. And by the way, no one determines what is bad, only what is good, and that is just as much relative with images, sculptures and songs as it is with writings. The other thing is that fanfictions don't really last 80+ pages, only very few of them. And if non canon images can be recommended then non canon writings can be too.
Do not misunderstand me, it would be great if they did do this, I agree to that, but I can see the complexity behind such an endeavor. I do concede to your point of nothing being determined what is bad, only good. It was an error on my part to use that as an argument, my error. A petition would have to be started, a poll if anything on the general discussion board, we're not even sure how often Reds visit these boards.

xwlr

03-09-2012

Oh you can be sure they won't. They never did Shushei Gragas for the winner of the Season One Championship so they'll ignore us for bloody sure even if we stick it under their nose. They don't even commit to good ideas, especially not to risky ones.

Cerubois

03-09-2012

You know, I think the main reason they don't come on here is that they don't want to support something in a 'risky' topic. As a business, they're afraid to endorse something that some people might not like. I think it's a little unfair, but I guess that's just business. As cool as Riot is, I don't imagine they'd feel comfortable commenting on the pairings we come up with, especially same-*** ones...

Sigh... No official Lux/Riven for me.

xwlr

03-09-2012

TeemoxKennen

Riot would love that one, and there actually is a story about it. But it's not these that should get into the sowcase, but the serious or funny ones, like "Renekton decides to tank" and their sort.

btw this language filter is pure ridiculous. filtering s.ex is a LOL. it does have a meaning that even the gentry has no other word for, which is to determine a person's ... well s.ex.

nyarlaBROtep

03-09-2012

Maybe we should try and do something, to get Riot to notice us in some way. I do like the Idea of a Petition, but it would be lost in General Discussion faster than a Teemo playing Hide-And-Seek.

But if we were to all comment and up vote it, maybe it could at least get a Red to post.

Although, there is a point with the stories that are just pairings, which are most of them on here to be fair, but that doesn't mean they should just ignore us.

Also, is there an in-game chat room that the FanFiction community have? I have always wondered about starting/joining it.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2012

The problem is that if they showcase something, it would have to adhear to all Riot canon lore - think about it, if they put up any of those []x[] fics out there, it's like officially declaring it's an item. Besides, 99% of []x[] fics are not that good either way, mostly because the writer chooses this as his topic, not something creative and new.

Truth be told, I can count the stories that could be Showcased on my fingers.