Why does everyone play tanks with offensive build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

larkhill

03-10-2012

tanky ap's all started with regi/tsm building warmogs on cass.

they work for 1 of 2 reasons. either they do so much dmg that they ca nafford to build tank and still kill people (like cass); or they're like supports where they dont need offensive stats to be sueful. tank lux works not because she does a lot of dmg, but because she can stun/slow someone long enough for the rest of the team to kill them.

offensive tanks work because a lot of them have defensive abilities built into their kit so they can afford to take dmg items. a tank building tank items is near useless in dom. sure they cant be killed but that cant do anything. they arent a threat at all. a tank building offensive items can still be a tank when they sue their ability, but be a threat when they dont need it.

for example, take leona. she can be build pure tank and do just fine. but if u build her with some dmg items, she can still be a tank and pop her shield when needed, but kill u when she doesnt need to be quite so tanky.

Psi21

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalForce View Post
really, why?
sometimes u go into a game thinking you've got 2 tanks and then realize that we actually have no tank, more like 2 spots taken by chars that die faster than carries and deal less dmg
lol ap sej back in her free week...
There are no tanks only tankie dps actually Riot calls all tanks bruisers and so does the EU.

Ah, NA servers who think there are differences....

Cherokeepimp

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
tanky ap's all started with regi/tsm building warmogs on cass.

they work for 1 of 2 reasons. either they do so much dmg that they ca nafford to build tank and still kill people (like cass); or they're like supports where they dont need offensive stats to be sueful. tank lux works not because she does a lot of dmg, but because she can stun/slow someone long enough for the rest of the team to kill them.

offensive tanks work because a lot of them have defensive abilities built into their kit so they can afford to take dmg items. a tank building tank items is near useless in dom. sure they cant be killed but that cant do anything. they arent a threat at all. a tank building offensive items can still be a tank when they sue their ability, but be a threat when they dont need it.

for example, take leona. she can be build pure tank and do just fine. but if u build her with some dmg items, she can still be a tank and pop her shield when needed, but kill u when she doesnt need to be quite so tanky.
This is exactly why, I buy tank items but don't go full out tank. Otherwise you are useless you need to be able to help out a little, and with most tanks having a defense ability full tank is not really needed.

urmamasllama

03-10-2012

although i must say this STOP BUILDING MAGEKAI one or two ap items is fine but maokai needs some tank

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2012

I tend to build items that give durability AND whatever offensive stat the champ uses. Depending on my role, I'll supplement with pure damage or pure tank items.

For Example, My Maokai usually starts with a Catalyst for bot lane sustain since his saplings deal enough naturally, and that build into RoA, giving me a sizable chunk of health, mana, and AP. The next item depends on what the primary source of enemy damage is.

Abyssal Scepter, Rylais', Frozen Heart, Zhonya's Hourglass. Offensive AND defensive stats, I find them to work very well.
Sunfire Cape, Thornmail, Force of Nature, Odyn's Veil. Some pure tank items that bolster my unkillability. I'll rarely have many of these in conjunction, only if the enemy DPS is REALLY up there.

I take what the situation needs, but I generally try to lean tank but without sacrificing the ability to deal real damage. I can and have driven off 3 enemy attackers trying to steal my turret, even picking up a kill or two. Hell, I've handled 4 on rare occasion. I'll typically die, but it gives my team time to sweep in and clean up, cap other points, or whatever. If I take one of the jerks with me? All the better.

Stralucire

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
What's the build for tank lux?
This is not necessarily the best build, but I've had a lot of success with:

Boots: Merc treads if you have CDR runes + masteries, otherwise Ionians.
Hextech Sweeper: absolutely necessary for proper kiting.
Glacial Shroud: upgrade to Frozen Heart if/when necessary, even if it puts you over 40% CDR.
Quicksilver Sash: cheap and effective.

And the last item is going to sound a bit wonky, but:
Frozen Mallet: absolutely maddening way to make use of Lux's passive and still play to the tanky/kitey role.

Volandum

03-10-2012

If you hit max CDR with FH, why is Sweeper necessary for kiting?

Stralucire

03-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
If you hit max CDR with FH, why is Sweeper necessary for kiting?
The vision. It's invaluable to know exactly where your opponents are when you're running around an obscured area. You get juked less, you can land her spells more accurately, etc.

Argodis

03-10-2012

I don't agree with full tank builds being useless.

Near the end of the game things can get pretty hectic and that's when having a full tank pays off the most. Most people don't even play AD carries anymore so there is literally no way they can kill you in a reasonable amount of time.

baloons

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolerOnline View Post
And they all pack revive
YEP-- and they're all premade 5's! And they rape you while playing "troll" builds like ap yi (don't want to hear it nekrogen :-) ). And surge trydamere is permabanned as the unstoppable force he is. It's a scary world, dis high elo.. stay far away...

/sarcasm