Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

c: Average player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Years of War

Recruiter

03-06-2012

Hello. c:
I'm an average to bad player, I am kind of a noob.
I cant seem to improve as fast as I want.
What helped you guys improve at the pace you wanted?
Who were the champions you played too improve?

The champions I like toooo play are Shyvana, Shen, Olaf, Kennen, and Ahri.
I am better with Shyvana, Shen, and Olaf.
I love playing Kennen he is so fun, but i always seem to die a lot with him.

cloudskipper

03-07-2012

play your fav champ. get all of his/her game mechanics down. make goals for yourself via cs rate. KDR.

another tip is getting kills doesnt mean everything. greed kills. i much prefer having a lower death rate than kill rate. (means you dont waste anymore time than you already have to)

Trading kills is almost never worth it unless it is for first blood, or the enemy has a spree going.

TheCrazyNutcase

03-07-2012

My main tip is don't charge in without your team. So many players I play with abuse me for not being right up close to the enemy's tower with them. Play smart and know when to push and when not too.

ownedbythee

03-07-2012

When you jungle with champs like shyvana and olaf you should be able to gank lanes well. The only problem comes when your team is forcing you to gank. Some times its better not to listen to them. Just gank when you feel like you have the best opportunity. Try to farm welll if you're lanning. In the late game phase always stay with your team. Buliding correctly is also very important so try to get those down.

DMPuffy

03-07-2012

Quote:
ownedbythee:
When you jungle with champs like shyvana and olaf you should be able to gank lanes well. The only problem comes when your team is forcing you to gank. Some times its better not to listen to them. Just gank when you feel like you have the best opportunity. Try to farm welll if you're lanning. In the late game phase always stay with your team. Buliding correctly is also very important so try to get those down.

Shyvana and Olaf aren't the best gankers. They can go in and out of lanes easily and quickly for ganks, but their ganks aren't as solid as other junglers. They need the lanes to have some kind of CC or exhaust, otherwise it's likely they won't even make it to the champion they're trying to gank. Their strength comes mid game when they do significant damage and are tanky enough for the enemy team to not want to focus.

ikillutwice

03-09-2012

seems like you are good with aggressive champs you may want to try sion or singed

ByakuyaYO

03-09-2012

http://riotoflegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-get-better-at-league-of-legends.html

this may help, has some advice on improving

Hyosun

03-09-2012

I watch pros and emulate their good habits. Little things add up, like knowing that as Shyvana you can clear wraith camp faster by attacking every wraith once and letting the damage from burnout kill them. That was from watching Saintvicious.

The more you see smart play and good-decision making the easier it is to recognize how to improve your own game to match what you know to be "correct".

Not only that, but some of the pro vids go over a lot of experience / specific information that you wouldn't normally be privy to unless you played 2k + games.

It's one thing to be "somewhat" aware of information. It's another thing to hear it from a pro and after applying it myself to internalize it.

For example, really understanding how wriggle's would benefit an AD carry. ( not as offensive as other items but strong choice for laning phase if you need it ).
Or understanding that Vayne and Kog aren't the strongest early game ad carries, so to not play them as super offensive.

It may seem that I'm nuthugging or whatnot but once you watch pros play and try to learn from it what you can, your play and understanding of the game only increase.

Ramas Jonith

03-09-2012

Quote:
Hyosun:
I watch pros and emulate their good habits. Little things add up, like knowing that as Shyvana you can clear wraith camp faster by attacking every wraith once and letting the damage from burnout kill them. That was from watching Saintvicious.

The more you see smart play and good-decision making the easier it is to recognize how to improve your own game to match what you know to be "correct".

Not only that, but some of the pro vids go over a lot of experience / specific information that you wouldn't normally be privy to unless you played 2k + games.

It's one thing to be "somewhat" aware of information. It's another thing to hear it from a pro and after applying it myself to internalize it.

For example, really understanding how wriggle's would benefit an AD carry. ( not as offensive as other items but strong choice for laning phase if you need it ).
Or understanding that Vayne and Kog aren't the strongest early game ad carries, so to not play them as super offensive.

It may seem that I'm nuthugging or whatnot but once you watch pros play and try to learn from it what you can, your play and understanding of the game only increase.

I want to both second this and add on to it. Sometimes when you watch pro players you may understand what they are doing but aren't able to pull it off right away. Practice new techniques vs AI before trying it out in PvP.

Also if you have any friends who are better players ask them if they will be willing to help you out. i sucked horribly at first but i have some friends who play and just by watching what they were doing and learning why they were doing it i got better.

also some natural skill does come into play. i have the ability to study my minimap while keeping the rest of the action in my periph. This helps me watch for incoming ganks; or see when an enemy is going back to base to cash in so i can change tactics accordingly. I also try to visualize enemy paths when they move into unseen areas so i can head them off further down a path or change directions when retreating. Just little things that aren't build/champ/item/ related that help tremendously.

echoedpulse23

Recruiter

03-10-2012

This game has a giant Learning Curve, and oh am I still learning. First off, the champions you listed are all pretty difficult to master, and I like that ( my first choice was malzahar, and is not the most simple to master). YOu can try one of the the "recommended characters" (which is what my friends told me) or just screw them and stick to it. There is a point where u walk away with 15 kills and 1 death and it changes your entire outlook on the game.
+ IF you go to custom play, you can set up a game with just you and bots(including on your team) so you have time to learn a character and don't have games where skilled players take out the beg bots in 15 mins.

Also, this was a genuinely helpful thread, i am pleasantly surprised.