50+% Win/Loss Rate on Normals

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlavenMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

I finally managed to get my wins over my losses for the first time since I rage-farmed IP for a whole weekend and lost nearly all of the 20 games I played.

Several people have suggested that I not play ranked until I have a 51% win rate. I was wondering if that means Wins/Total Games = .51, or if its just a way of saying anything over .50. In addition, if I do start ranked, then lose more normals, should I stop ranked play until my ratio is back up? What if I lose games because I am practicing with a new champ (for instance, just bought Orianna, and planning on getting WuKong and Yorick this weekend).

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

MoneyForNothin

03-06-2012

How many wins do you have?

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

If you think you are losing purely because you are trying new stuff, then it doesn't matter

more wins than loses is just a general guide line to increase your chance of winning in ranked.

FaerellG

03-06-2012

It's not a hard science. It's a matter of confidence and skill.

If you have a negative win/loss ratio in normals you probably lack some combination of confidence and/or skill.

There's a whole checklist of things you'll want to go through before starting solo que-ranked.

1. Can you play all the roles and have 2-3 champions you can use for each role? This includes having rune pages for these champs too.

2. Do you understand warding and map awareness?
If not, read up on this and practice it in normals. Play support if you really want to get warding practice in. When you realize the importance of warding and map awareness you'll be a step closer to playing ranked.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=237436

3. Understand the importance of CS (creep score aka minion kills) in terms of gold farming and how to translate that into an advantage.

4. Understand the real reward for kills and how assists work. If you want to play ranked, you cannot be getting upset about "kill steals". Realize that getting more people in on a kill means more gold for the team. So if you did 99% of the damage to a champ and someone comes in and deals the finishing blow, that's probably BETTER for your team as a whole because someone got assist gold.

5. Don't rage. Ever. Even if your team is totally noob and sucks horribly. I don't care. Even if someone else is raging. I still don't care. Once you join in on the raging and name calling, your team is finished.

6. Understand the importance of towers, and that killing the Nexus is the point of winning, and that towers/inhibs are direct steps towards destroying that Nexus. Killing champs is not the primary goal of the game...though it helps. Read Condon's full thread here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=71443

These are in no particular orders, and you probably need some combination of all of them to be good in ranked. To go beyond, there's a lot more stuff, but all of this is how to be a good team player and decent player in general.