Life Steal, does it have a rule of thumb?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kagean

03-06-2012

Is there a certain % to attack speed ratio that's generally recommended when considering a life steal based build on a champion?

I can see where a 2.5 120% ratio would be ideal, but what'd be the minimum?

As for why I'm asking I'm just now getting good enough at the game to deviate from recommended items, and just curious at how versatile a few standard go to sets can be for multiple champions.

Tonked

03-06-2012

I'm not sure exact numeric values, but the rule of thumb I follow when building any lifesteal is this: Make sure you have some damage to back up the lifesteal. High Damage + Low Lifesteal = Moderate health regen + High Damage. Where as Low Damage + High Lifesteal = Moderate health regen + Low Damage.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

Your question seems to imply that there is a decent way of getting a controlled amount of lifesteal, which isn't really the case. Most lifesteal items suck balls.

The List of Good Lifesteal Items:

Dorans Blade (for AD carries)
Wriggles (for bruisers that solo top)
Bloodthirster (for AD carries).

Thats about it.

Bilgewater sucks.
executioners calling sucks.
gunblade sucks (for most bruisers and AD carries)
Zekes sucks (only the support will typically get this now)

============================

At some point you decide "I need lifesteal", so you get one of the very few decent items for it. Then yer done.

Most AD carries will start with 4% from masteries and get 2 Dorans Blades. So they get 10% to start with pretty much. Thats enough to keep you topped off if you autoattack for a bit once laning phase dies out.

Most will then get an Inf Edge first for big Attack Damage. Then they will get a Phantom Dancer for movespeed, even more crit, higher AS. Maybe even a second PD. probably a frozen mallet or at least phage.

So they have big AD, huge AS, 90% crit @260% dmg. Nows a great time for some more lifesteal. Enter Bloodthirster. Huge AD, no redundant crit, lots of lifesteal.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

The best lifesteal item in the game when we are talking about cost effectiveness is actually vampiric scepter (Ignore my typo, whatever)

For 450g, you get 12% lifesteal. The only downside to this is that it takes a slot, and has only limited items that you can build it into (such as Wriggle, BT, executioners' call and more, but generally you will only build wriggle and BT)

There are two main problems with builds on the forum right now. Although I probably shouldn't try to explain it in this post as it is off topic, but I guess I will do it= ="

The enemy at different ELO range is often building differently, while the high ELO players are often building resistance and armor to counter enemy ranged AD and AP and prolong their lives so they have increase output in a long run, it is different at lower ELO, especially games before summoner level of 30

These lower ELO games generally will have less armor and resistance being built, people will often try to stack more and more damage, as they think damage is more important than everything

This is also the reason why there are builds that people work really well at lower ELO but keep getting rage at when some higher ELO players review them

For example, the build that Warrrax just proposed consider building mostly damage, while having a Frozen Mallet for HP to survive, but in higher ELO gameplays no one will build like that.

They either go full glass cannon and make it up with good positioning and team protection, or they will go for a more serious defense item such as Qss or Banshee

There is a differences between the higher ELO glass cannon build compare to lower ELO as well, and the main differences is LAST WHISPER. This item is only effective in higher ELO game players because lower ELO game plays don't have enough armor to make this item has its worth, and usually this is the reason why many players can identifies the ELO of the player who is posting such build.

Warrrrax

03-06-2012

Good points by Ken. However since OP is a junior member I can assume that he is "low ELO", where mostly damage and a bit of survivability is reasonable.

In any case I think my point stands about most lifesteal items being ****. Hes right that if you need more lifesteal than you get from mastery/dorans, you can get the cheap Vamp Scepter and that should do ya. You can always upgrade it later on.

acosn

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Your question seems to imply that there is a decent way of getting a controlled amount of lifesteal, which isn't really the case. Most lifesteal items suck balls.

Bilgewater sucks.
executioners calling sucks.
gunblade sucks (for most bruisers and AD carries)
Zekes sucks (only the support will typically get this now)
You don't buy bilgewater cutlass and HTGB because they're not for AD carries, period. They're not bad items, you're not buying them for the same reason you're not buying a deathcap.

Zeke's isn't bad, its just not for carries. It's for tanks and supports.

Executioner's Calling isn't bad, its niched. The sole reason to buy it is against heal heavy teams with people like Mundo, Soraka, Mordekaiser, and late game carries.

Generally the rule of thumb is that you don't buy into lifesteal without a stable damage platform to work off of. Since virtually every AD carry in the game treats the IE as the single strongest increase to their damage output, they typically either buy that as their first big ticket (IE: more than 2k price tag) item, or a blood thirster. BT's are a more stable item, but IE's are stronger raw damage.