Ahiri mana management

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reinhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

So, I've just tried out Ahiri and find her an incredibly fun and interesting champion, definitely considering her as my next purchase. The one big issue I kept running into was mana consumption. As far as mages go, I play Malz most often so mana is rarely a problem, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do for her. Should I be buying any sort of mana regen items or should my goal to be always running blue buff as well as going into the support tree? (I just have a hard time giving up the 9 in def to get extra hp no matter what champ I play lol).

Mastergamer2k5

03-06-2012

C. Realize that Malzahar has spoiled you with his mana regen, and now you need actual mana management with other AP champs.

slaya45

03-06-2012

Whenever i play ahri i feel very locked up when it comes to mana. In the beginning, I am very careful and typical about when i cast my spells. Choosing whether to hit the creep wave, harass, or play passive is something i choose whenever my spells come off cooldown or getting harassed/ ganked.

Typically i save my spells for necessary conditions. when the other mid is pushing they are very vulnerable and might not want to push if you harass them to low health. When you are getting ganked/a gank. I also like to push my lane with a q and auto attacks when i am higher level, but you wont have the mana regen levels 1-5, so safe this for after. Knowing when and when not to use spells can help save mana, and casting unhindered will result in a very oom ahri.

For runes i will typically take flat mana/5 yellows and mr blues. I will take 21/9/0 if i have mana/5 yellows. If i feel like i am going to be harassed by ganks (shaco comes to mind), i will take armor yellows and switch to 21/2/7 putting 2 points into armor or mr and 6 points in mana/level and mana regen.

After doing all this, I always start with boots and pots. my first back will usually be to get 1 or 2 doran's rings, health pots and wards when affordable. This gives me: mobility, health, sustain (mana from rings and health from pots), ap, and vision which provides safety. This is my typical route when my lane is going decent, 1 kill or one or two deaths. If i am ahead i will rush RoA because it will give me sustain and it grows with you, giving your extra levels more power.

If you need practice to learn how to control your spells try doing mp5 yellows and 21/0/9 masteries. Don't go below the mark where you cant cast all of your spells in a burst. Then try to widdle down your spell usage and get more survivabilty, so when you do have that opportune moment you are more likely to succeed. With this you might not need 2 dorans rings cause you will have a lot of mana regen already, and can go RoA.

AegisStrife

03-06-2012

u shld go 21/0/9 for the buff increase duration utility instead of the health in defense , mana regen juz comes off as a bonus xD
as a ap mid , hopefully your jungle would be donating to you blue probably after 7min - 11min mark

2 doranring is all you need, which is usually enough to not run into a OOM , that is if you dont spam ur skills to get creep ( which is detrimental bcoz you push alot , u shld juz go for last hits with autoatk)
so
only when creeps are at the tower where ur last hit probably wont help , you use a Q to clear at least 3 or more creeps. / or you need to invade/drag/reasons to push a lane then u use ur skills on creeps
if not
you shld only spam spells when you are able to harass the opponent

go for either rylai cap or wota in whatever order you deem fit, i find RoA aint as useful as this 3 items.
take blue whenever is up , ward it preferably since the blue goes to you

acosn

03-06-2012

Unless your jungle is absolute trash he's going to be giving you the blue buff.

If he doesn't its not a bad idea to pressure the enemy team's blue buff.

WOTA isn't a good item on Ahri- we're talking a fifth or sixth item because the jump from HTR to WOTA isn't worth the price of admission on an AP who's extremely mobile. HTR isn't a bad idea- it's gold efficient on it's own but it's still a 4th string item at best because Ahri deals almost exclusively in AOE attacks. Sorc boots, Rylai's and Deathcap are your core items, typically in that order. Buy into Doran's rings as necessary- I typically have two before I finish Rylai's. Always start with boots- assume you need the mobility otherwise any karthus or Cass worth their salt will destroy you.

There are ways of building Ahri with the assumption that you're not getting blue buff but it dramatically draws down her early / mid game potential because you have to buy items like ROA, ect, and build as more of a soak (meaning items like Frozen Heart and BV) than a straight nuke.

vadaqeeesta

03-06-2012

Never had mana problems solo mid with Ahri. Don't burst her skill like mal, cause you don't need to overpush with Ahri. Just try to last hit minions and do your Q (and E if you think you need it) whenever enemy minions get to your turret. This way you can farm without having to overpush and enemies minions will be dead before it reach your turrets, making easier for jungler to gank, and if you able to land successful kiss, higher probability for turret to hit the enemy.

I don't even use mana/mana regen runes, just flat AP on glyph and quint, and flat magic penet on mark. Use doran ring as starting items btw (you can heal with your passive).

And I can say that I am almost unbeatable solo mid with Ahri, unless to a good Caitlyn. She has far better range and her yordle's trap near your turret can be very annoying to you.