Tips on rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenotime Gaze

07-30-2010

hello all,
as mentioned in an earlier, long forgotten post, im becoming rather interested (as i should be), in experimenting with other genres of champs (tank/dps/ranged) other than those im generally familiar with (support/mage) as such, i had asked previously abouut tips on how to play amumu (and what items to use). Now rammus has caught my attention as his abilties can make him into a formidable opponent when played right.
Now i simply have a few questions to ask about him before i 'll consider playing him.

1 - I hear a lot that Rammus is entirely situational a choice of a tank due to his reliance on armor, is this true? if so, is he unviable as a champ against a team which has more mages?

2 - since i've rarely faced a GOOD rammus during the laning phase, when would you use his ultimate? (other than the obvious teamfight/tower-pushing situation) and if it is on as short a cooldown as i hear (60 seconds?), are cooldown items (frozen heart, glacial shroud, randuins omen etc) good on him?

3 - lastly, what is his playstyle? does it focus on his mobility to get to allies quickly? or does he generally stay in one lane until the tower is down like most other champs?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and i look forward to your responces.

Xenotime Gaze

07-30-2010

no responces? are these stupid questions?

Palisade

07-30-2010

I play rammus a lot so I'll respond, but I'm not exactly high elo. I just hit lvl 30 a couple days ago.

1. Yes he is very situational. Against physical damage teams I rip faces apart with defensive ball curl and thornmail causing the enemy team to kill themselves. Also, being able to stack mostly armor instead of magic resists gives a substantial amount of damage. With a strong magic team rammus is much less effective (but he is still viable if you are good with him). If the game proceeds for a long time, rammus becomes a little lackluster as a tank against such teams; however, his pushing ability and ganking ability allow him to end games much faster than most tanks.

2. Basically, use his ultimate in any fighting situation. The cool down is short enough. I also use it to farm large creep ways very fast if there doesn't seem to be a team fight coming up within the next minute or so. I grab randuins omen a lot, but I don't normally get glacial shroud because I use mana regen runes. Only get it if the other team relies on attack speed (jax, xin, etc).

3. I like to lane with a stronger player that can solo a lane 2v1 and leave the lane pretty early (lvl 5 or 6). I then jungle to 6 and start ganking as soon as possible. Powerballing behind an over-extended lane, taunting, and your ult can lock the enemy into place with your team finishes them off. Be sure to communicate well with the team by pinging. I've had many ganks fail because powerball rushes in and traps someone so fast that my team can't respond. Also, before lvl 6 he really isn't that strong in the laning phase. Unless the people you are laning against are super squishies and your teammate can dish out high damage early game don't bother going for first blood.

Just remember powerball makes rammus much more mobile than anyone else on the map, use that to your advantage to outpush and gank the other team and you will be fine.

Redenbacher

07-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSeeker View Post
1 - I hear a lot that Rammus is entirely situational a choice of a tank due to his reliance on armor, is this true? if so, is he unviable as a champ against a team which has more mages?
So incredibly wrong. He's NOT reliant on armor AT ALL. People assume that because of his passive... but if you're building him for attack damage, you're doing it wrong. He's a great tank even for casters, because 1) Defensive Ball Curl gives you a boatload of magic resistance, and he attracts spells like nobody's business. 2) He makes ganking squishies a walk in the park... with a Segway... while drinking a Mango smoothie.

Every tank should be building situational damage mitigation counters, not just dictated by their passive. I ignore that completely. If there are mages, I'm buying a negatron cloak -> Banshee's Veil, maybe an Aegis too.

Quote:
2 - since i've rarely faced a GOOD rammus during the laning phase, when would you use his ultimate? (other than the obvious teamfight/tower-pushing situation) and if it is on as short a cooldown as i hear (60 seconds?), are cooldown items (frozen heart, glacial shroud, randuins omen etc) good on him?
His ultimate has a relatively short cooldown, and it can really be used whenever necessary. Don't assume you have to save it for tower pushing. I've used it for teamfights, winning a 1v1 (dying is bad), tower pushing, farming a large wave of creeps (yes, do this - Rammus is a bad farmer, and this helps a ton)

Glacial Shroud and Randuin's Omen are both great items, but I lean towards Randuin's Omen, because it gives HP which Rammus sorely needs.

Quote:
3 - lastly, what is his playstyle? does it focus on his mobility to get to allies quickly? or does he generally stay in one lane until the tower is down like most other champs?
I play him very mobile. Others may disagree, but I focus on feeding my carries by coordinating ganks in the early game. Rammus is a FANTASTIC ganker. Ping your target and let your teammate know you want to gank, charge up powerball in a bush, fly out and slam them. Just when the slow starts to wear out, Taunt/DBC - dead enemy.

Rammus is a great tank, period, and very fun to play. I can't recommend him enough if you're interested in playing a tank.