Are Runes Necessary?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iDerp Solo

03-06-2012

Of course Runes aren't necessary.
Neither are Masteries.
Neither is purchasing any starting equipment for your champ.
Heck, for that matter, neither is purchasing any equipment for your champ.

Will these things help you to perform better in game? Yes.

Halcione

03-06-2012

a champion with runes is stronger than one without them. That's the gist of it. They are not "mandatory", but it's extra strength than you are missing out on.

If you don't want to invest heavily in runes and want to spend your IP on champs, i'd recommend doing one of the following:

- 1 general rune page (increases stats all champions benefit from like armor, MR, and HP)
- 2 rune pages, one for AD, and one for AP (with common runes like armor seals and MR glyphs)

and then focus on champions until you are satisfied, then return and fine tune more pages.

Saolue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

I think i'll just get two pages for now, and get more champs like you suggested... thanks for the advice, i hope i'll see a difference soon

Octovert

03-06-2012

The runes will not make or break your game. It is unlikely that you will see a massive difference in your performance with a full rune page vs an empty one. What you may see is you edging people out a little more often, or barely surviving when you would have otherwise died. And it's these moments that end up turning the tide of a game.

Falkentyne

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBarnacle View Post
The runes will not make or break your game. It is unlikely that you will see a massive difference in your performance with a full rune page vs an empty one. What you may see is you edging people out a little more often, or barely surviving when you would have otherwise died. And it's these moments that end up turning the tide of a game.
Thank you. Finally a decent answer from someone is patient enough to explain the ins and outs properly, instead of the usual arrogant attitude from most players.

Not having runes is like not knowing Rook and Pawn endgames in Chess. You may be able to win games by never even reaching that point, but it may cost you in some clutch situations (where you may have been able to skillfully liquidate into a won R+P endgame, or sacrificed a pawn to defend and trade into a pawn down RP ending that you know is drawn.

Sokolniki

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Thank you. Finally a decent answer from someone is patient enough to explain the ins and outs properly, instead of the usual arrogant attitude from most players.

Not having runes is like not knowing Rook and Pawn endgames in Chess. You may be able to win games by never even reaching that point, but it may cost you in some clutch situations (where you may have been able to skillfully liquidate into a won R+P endgame, or sacrificed a pawn to defend and trade into a pawn down RP ending that you know is drawn.
Ugh... I HATE R+P Endgames.

But yeah, Runes are mostly a subtle influence to the game. However, I feel that lacking them actually puts you at a rather severe disadvantage in the laning phase of the game. lacking 15 AP through Quints as a solo mid can equate to several hundred damage short of what you could have had over the course of harassment. As Anivia, I can can hit a 100 damage difference over 4 successful Q + E Hits before hitting lvl 4 through AP Quints and MPen Glyphs... that's quite substantial in the early game and can be the difference between scoring a kill, forcing a recall, or simply putting them into a more defensive posture for a bit. In the mid and late game, the effect of runes seems much more subtle, but it is still there. I for one enjoy having much improved mana regen through my glyphs when pushing a lane with my team, and being able to hold the lane for a period afterwards while the rest of my team regens health/mana and shops.

corallein

03-06-2012

My suggested starter runes would be:
Marks (red): Armor Pen OR flat Attack Damage (AD if you really like playing ranged AD carries like Ashe or Caitlyn), Magic Pen
Seals (yellow): flat Armor
Glyphs (blue): flat Magic Resist
Quints (purple): flat Attack Damage, flat Ability Power

Because defensive runes are good for everyone, and they're cheap (205 IP each).