Are Runes Necessary?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saolue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

I have played the game from lvl 1-30 and only bought a few runes, not enough for a full page... The only amount i've boughten was a complete set of tier 3 armor runes for jungling... which worked out fine

(Jungling is the role i do the least, so idc if runes are only a necessity for junglers)

I've been more focused on buying champs with ip than runes, because of how much more champs could do for the individual... more choices, more roles, more understanding, ect.

So my question is, how much do runes effect gameplay and how badly do you need them in ranked?
And how much will they increase my damage output/ increase my capabilities?

Mambazo

03-05-2012

You need them.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

you don't need them if you want everyone to be better than you. just buy standard runes and you'll be okay. armor yellows, magic resist blues, magic pen reds for ap set and AD reds for ad set. then you can get ap/movement speed quints and ad/armor pen quints.

ExecutionerK

03-05-2012

There are some champions that need a rune page to work with, including most junglers, Akali, Support, and usually any champions want those advantage that runes can offer for early game.

Saolue

03-05-2012

So as long as i have runes, they don't have to go with that champion... they just have to make my champion live longer/more damage, i'll be fine? I own some mana regen blues right now, and armor yellow, nothing else really...

DonkeyBalls

03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saolue View Post
So my question is, how much do runes effect gameplay and how badly do you need them in ranked?
And how much will they increase my damage output/ increase my capabilities?
Runes are not necessary, by the definition of that word. They will undoubtedly increase your champion's capability ingame.

Runes effect gameplay enough to notice the difference. You do not need them for ranked although i'd imagine that you are better off not playing ranked until you have the amount of experience necessary to gather the IP that buying appropriate runes would require.

Again, runes will increase your champion's capabilities enough to notice. To me that indicates they are worthwhile.

EDIT: Here's a quick cheat sheet for generic, useful, cheap runes.

Marks: Armor Pen., Magic Pen.
Seals: Armor
Glyphs: Magic Resist
Quints: A little tougher to recommend generic, useful, cheap ones. Move speed is good for most but ideal for few. I tend to prefer them over generic HP quints, though. AP quints are good for most casters and most physicals go with Attack Damage or Armor Pen. quints.

HaffSack

03-05-2012

Get some pages of runes and get used to them. After that go start a smurf account and see how much slower early game is without them. It's a crazy difference!

Bravest Leader

03-06-2012

If you are playing ranked, you need runes. you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by playing without them.

If you don't believe me, try laning mid against another ap with no MR or AP. Try laning top with no resists, armor pen or flat ad.

And forget trying to play AD carry or jungle effectively without runes.

cpandarun

03-06-2012

Yeah they arent nessecary. One of the best players I know personally doesnt have a single rune and he does extremely well. Except he doesn't play ranked. Really though if you don't have inhuman skills then runes will be a great boon to your game.

Foodhi

03-06-2012

A rune page provides at least 1500g worth of stats. Not having runes is the equivalent to being 1500g or more behind everyone else. It doesn't mean you'll be useless, you're just disadvantaged. Like someone already said, do not play ranked matches if you have no runes.