Skarner DPS viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeTigerSpy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2012

So I got skarner, and most people recommend being tanky. However, is DPS Skarner viable? It seems while skarner is tanky he doesn't do that much damage. If it is viable, what is a good item set?

Yes it is jungle skarner, but I jungle runeless- if that matters.

Dwarfling

03-04-2012

You're melee/initiator and not Tryndamere, so you build tanky or you die too fast to do the "damage". Besides, the strenght of Skarner is that you're a jungler that builds tanky, otherwise you'd only have your solo top for that or maybe the support.

Defile

03-05-2012

u need a mix of both while being mostly tanky but also able to do damage so people won't just ignore u

Foodhi

03-06-2012

The real reason why all the high elo players build skarner as a tank is because his most useful abilities are his aoe slows and his ability to initiate teamfights by charging in and dragging a squishy out with his ult. You can't do either of those things if you build him straight dps. Without being tanky, he cannot stick around the middle of teamfights very long and if he goes in to drag someone, he'll be dead before he gets very far. If you want melee dps, there are other champions that do much more damage like Tryndamere or Fiora.

In other words, Skarner is not a dps pick, he's a utility pick and building him dps just nerfs his utility.

Octovert

03-06-2012

It's true - you need some staying power on skarner. I do enjoy a decent tank/AS build on him tho - wits end is fun. You also can get away with more deeps and less tank on dominion if you're into that.