Ranked Tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
If you had just started/ ready to start solo Q, I heavily recommend you to get good with AP carries and jungler.

The reason behind this is because these two roles had most affect to all lanes during the early and mid game, and generally speaking, below 1400s, people will usually surrender at 20 if you have a huge lead.

Support is usually unneeded til 1400s+, and the AD carries start becoming really important after 1500s+.

Finally, never start ranked before you have 2 rune pages ready, I don't recommend you to start ranked if your normal game winning % is below 50% as well
I'm currently testing a theory as well that suggests that at sub 1300 Elo, the Solo-top and Jungler are the most important roles, and if you can ensure that your team has a good Solo-top and Jungler (via duo que) then you have a higher chance of winning.

The theory is based on this:
At lower level play, there are fewer people who know how to jungle because the jungling mindset has the greatest difference from a laning mindset. Because of this, there are more 2/1/2 lane compositions in low Elo that ignore the jungle. So ensuring that your team has both a good jungler and a solo-top capable of laning 1v2 will do the most to ensure your team has an advantage when teaming up with randoms.

Additionally, lower Elo players have trouble dealing with Tanky-DPS which is usually top lane and jungle.

I know AP mid is always going to be important, but it's more likely that one of your random teammates will know how to AP mid than Jungle or solo-top 1v2.

CrazyBolas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlfirinVelca View Post
-Buy a ward every time you go back and have a free slot and the extra gold. Every time. Do it.
-The jungler can't gank if you have pushed your lane - don't autoattack.
-Conversely, if you're jungling, don't try to gank a pushed lane, no matter how much your teammates ***** about you ganking.
-If you wipe your enemies out of your lane, and still have hp, feel free to gank another lane if feasible. You don't always want to push early on but the advantage a team gets from everyone ganking everywhere when possible is huge.
-Communicate.
-If the enemy team has a jungler that requires blue (skarner for instance), take his blue whenever possible. Work with your team, ping for help.
-You have 6 item slots. 4 Attack/2 Defensive generally makes more sense then 6 Attack.
-Synergy. Aim for it, with both items and team mates.
-Don't build offensive items on a melee if you aren't winning. If you're too squishy/getting focused, get defensive items. Your stats and skills will scale with levels for the most part on these characters so building defensive you can generally still be a threat.
-Think about what scaling stats your character has. Early game, you don't need to build items in that stat. For instance, Master Yi gets +attack damage from his E, so he can just build attack speed and crit chance.
-Ward
-Know at least one character in each role. I.E. Tank, support, ad carry, melee tanky dps, ap carry, jungler, solo top. Play whatever the team needs.
-Try out new heroes/heroes you haven't played in normals constantly so you know what every champ does intimately. Free week rocks.
-Elixirs can be a good, cheap stat boost, especially for that elusive CDR.
-Call MIAs. But watch your minimap. You shouldn't need MIAs.
-Communicate. And Ward. All Game. Do It Or Don't Play Ranked. :-)
Very nice post.

RusMolot

03-05-2012

What Ilfrin said. Only thing I can add is dont solo q. As long as you duo q either solo top and jungler or 2 bot, you should be alright.

If you must solo q, dont rely on your team mates, but always be ready for their help. In other words, never jump in a fight where you can only win of your team mate does everything right. But, if you see your jungler comming your way, position yourself for a gank, and pull your lane out a bit.

Gonna emphasize 3 things:
wards
Dont push your lane
Communicate

When you communicate, use pings rather than typing long sentences.

NoLiveNoPain

03-05-2012

Okay thanks guys im gonna try a ranked now ;D i actually just won 2 in a row :O with Nautilus.

FaerellG

03-05-2012

For solo-que, I recommend having a "copy-paste" of your preferred bans and preferred champions/roles.

Something quick. For me, currently, it would be:
Ban: Kass, Morg
I usually jungle/tank Shen/Amumu/Udyr/Malph, but can also support as Taric/Sona/Soraka.

It really cuts down on the chances of people banning people you use, and it speeds up communication so other people can think about who they want to play, or you can consider alternatives if someone else takes a role you were wanting to play.

cloudskipper

03-06-2012

^
I see a lot of people still ban kass nowadays. Kass is very easy to counter btw especially when they first pick or second pick kass. Morg can also be countered pretty easily if you know how to pick. (Cass eats morg)

bans in solo q: shaco, cass, ryze, shen, ken, olaf (maybe)