Ryze: Q or E?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RusMolot

03-01-2012

Ryze was my main in the very begining for a loooooong*** time. I grew bored of constantly playing Ryze, but still play him quite often. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on when or if to Max E before Q. I figure Ryze doesnt actually have that big of a range with Q, and he actually farms better with r+e. In order to increase his range, I have recently started maxing e first, and W second. My reasons are this: with E, Ryze gains some much needed( for me) range by bouncing it off of minions to hit the enemy behind them. This requires a bit of skill, and just pure luck because it doesnt always bounce to the champ. Either way, maxed E makes a great poke, after that, I have started maxing W becaus .it actually does quite a bit of initial damage( Ive gotten quite a few kills using W rather than Q) and the snare length goes up with level, and it is instant cast with a dot i think. The other thing is that using R+E+W, or R+W+E combo, you can clear out entire waves, with Q your minions sometimes get the kills between the time you cast and the time it hits,darn ks'ers... I know Q has the largest damage, and it is basically your nuke, plus you cannot beat the satisfaction of that slow flying ball chasing them past the tower and killing them, but I just think if you are midding vs a ranged Ap or AD carry, especially if they have CC, then R>E>W>Q is the way to go. Thoughts?

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2012

R>Q>W>E

Q has a really good mana ratio, and it is on a low cooldown, so spam that so you can get other stuff on cooldown as well.

RusMolot

03-01-2012

That IS the popular arguement but Q gets you in range for ranged opponents to damage you

LouieTheHedgehog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2012

sure, you can do that, if you like doing no damage until you max Q.

E is the same casting range as Q and requires LUCK to be useful. if the game hates you and decides for E to only hit minions, your damage is boned.

in other words, leveling Q will, in the long run, be better, especially with its low and easily resetable cooldown with his passive.

RusMolot

03-01-2012

But on the other hand if you flash in and land W and E, then you actually have to potential to do more damage than W and Q, because E can bounce off of you. Come to think of it, I think Q or E is situational. When going up against Morgana, it is safe to use Q, but when dealing with Annie, Cait, Heimerdinger, or Ashe, isn't the extra range like a huge bonus? Cait can simply dps you if you get in range for Q, Ashe with slow you down and not let you escape till you have like less than 50% hp left, at 6 she can stun you, Heims turrets target you if you so much as look his way, and if you are close enough to Q Annie, she is close enough to stun you.

AngeluzMG

03-01-2012

the best combo with ryze is RQWE, u can use ignite for more damage and surge for more Ability power

Mambazo

03-01-2012

Q. No discussion.

Dwarfling

03-01-2012

Q will always be your best souce of damage just because it has the shortest CD. So you can Q after every other spell. And it also gives you 10% CDR. You will regularly only throw 1 E in a rotation unless you're fighting for a while, while you throw around 4 Qs.

QEQWQRQ... Then more spells with CDR. Normally tho I'm throwing QWQEQRQ if the target is running, so the rest of my team catches up and so I can get another W sooner.

LouieTheHedgehog

03-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusMolot View Post
But on the other hand if you flash in and land W and E, then you actually have to potential to do more damage than W and Q, because E can bounce off of you. Come to think of it, I think Q or E is situational. When going up against Morgana, it is safe to use Q, but when dealing with Annie, Cait, Heimerdinger, or Ashe, isn't the extra range like a huge bonus? Cait can simply dps you if you get in range for Q, Ashe with slow you down and not let you escape till you have like less than 50% hp left, at 6 she can stun you, Heims turrets target you if you so much as look his way, and if you are close enough to Q Annie, she is close enough to stun you.
I'm sorry, what?

You start off your argument by saying you have more damage if you flash in (and this is STILL situational and completely luck based) but then end your argument with saying you should keep your distance?

Why not just level Q and get 1) tons of reliable damage and 2) a decent reliable range?

Old Ryze used primarily E and had the highest burst potential in the game but had to be right in the enemy team's face to use it, plus it was VERY luck based. Luck is a bad thing in this game especially for Ryze whose risk vs reward is simply not worth it when he has something that will do more damage nearly 100% of the time over a long period of time.

ViashinoWizard

03-01-2012

E doesn't scale with any of Ryze's core items (Banshee's Veil, Tear of the Goddess and Frozen Heart). He doesn't build any AP until his fourth item at the earliest. Q scales with all of those.