Returning player - need some help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

d0kz

03-03-2012

Hey guys. Im returning to playing LoL after a long break (nearly a year I think). The last champion that had come out before I quit was Karma. Basically, I just want to be updated on whats happened since then.

I know about Dominion - played a couple of games of it even and I quite enjoy it.

I also wanted to find out if my old mains are outdated now - Ashe, Kogmaw, Shen and Akali. I need to buy a good jungler and another good tank too so whos good for each role?

Need runes as well and looking around its obvious my old flat hp quints aren't that great anymore. I want some good all round quints so what should I buy to replace those.

Any other info I might want to know?

Duhizy

03-03-2012

ashe recently got some buffs so shes pretty good however her laning phase is still satisfactory meaning she loses to many bot lane. Kog is similar to ashe in the fact that his lane isn't the best however his late game is god like still. Shen is atm considered op because of a recent over nerf but a recent hot fix may have balanced him idk. Akali got some nerfs because she went through an op phase of noob QQ, she is however still amazingly strong. the top junglers imo currently are skarner,udyr, lee sin, shaco and rammus, shyvana. strong tanks are shen, cho gath, skarner, udyr, rammus, malphite, singed and many more i cant think of. For runes of ad carry the best marks and quints have become flat ad,flat armor seals,mr glyphs. Ap carry runes are wut ever u want just look up a guide at solomid.net for the champ u want for the proper runes. Also the meta is now bruiser top lane or bruiser jungler with ap mid and ad/support bot lane.

d0kz

03-03-2012

Sweet. Ill stick with the champs I already have plus maybe pick up either Malphite or Rammus with IP. I was planning on getting some RP and buying Vlad, Vayne and Lee Sin to have a better round up of champs for the meta. How does that sound?

Ill have Ashe, Kog Maw, Vayne for ranged ad. Rammus/Malphite and Shen for tanks. Rammus/Malphite, Warwick, Xin Zhao, Nunu and Lee Sin for jungle. Vlad, Kennen, Akali for AP carry and Soraka, Janna for support. Is that enough or do I need to get some more champs.

For runes, I've got Armor Pen and Magic Pen reds which are still doing fine so I think im gonna stick with them. Have armor yellows which are fine too. Im getting flat MR blues but I'm still not sure what quints to buy. Move speed seem like the best all round ones but theyre so expensive :S Maybe it might be a better idea to buy separate runes for ad/ap if I'm going to spend that much IP. What do you think?

d0kz

03-03-2012

bump

d0kz

03-03-2012

bump.

vashXIII

03-04-2012

The biggest change is in the jungle. They made it a lot easier/more viable for many junglers. The focus is on AoE damage to clear packs and it's not very restricted to Cloth+Pots anymore on most champs. I highly recommend trying the new jungle before just diving into a game.

Ashe does not see a whole lot of play, a few new AD carries out that currently compete heavily for the "top spot". They're caught in a merry go round of buff/nerfs so it changes rapidly. AD Kennen, Graves, and Sivir (she got a heavy remake) are the most recent heavily played I can remember. Kog is considered just below them with Vayne and Caitlyn in terms of pick worthy.

Shen *just* got re-made and promptly nerfed due to OP-ness. You'll have to play him to see if you like the remake. His jungle is a bit slow (no AoE) but he's still sturdy.

Akali got heavily nerfed (mainly through a Gunblade nerf) but she's still viable. She doesn't fit "neatly" into the meta though so you have to be able to lane well with her.

Lee, Udyr, and Skarner are all considered "the best" straight junglers (extremely fast clears and good ganks). Trundle and Maokai are "the best" counter-junglers.

Team comp and individual skill still rule, if you like a char, learn to play it. Don't lose your lane, farm that Creep Score (CS) and win.

d0kz

03-05-2012

sweet thank you guys for the help.

I havent ever been able to play Sivir so I'm not going to even bother lol. Ill check out Graves maybe. Right now I'm doing decent with Akali although admittedly I'm sticking to normal blind pick so thats really no indicator. She does still have quite a bit of power though.

I did practice a bit of jungling and I was quite shocked at how easy it is now. Red/Blue at early levels fall so quick its not even funny. I tried it with Shen in a game (although I played with my default offensive masteries cuz I havent figured out mastery set ups yet) and he was quite slow but at the same time I never really had a problem with having to go back to shop like you used to have to do.

Foodhi

03-06-2012

Shen can jungle, but he's best as a solo top since his ult lets him easily join his team for dragon fights. Despite what people might say on the forums, I really feel like all champions are viable and see regular play at high elo except for Eve (who can still pubstomp at low elo). I like to watch streams at solomid.net or own3d.tv and see who they ban to get a feel for who the current op champs are.

ikillutwice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73IVIP357 View Post

I also wanted to find out if my old mains are outdated now - Ashe, Kogmaw, Shen and Akali. I need to buy a good jungler and another good tank too so whos good for each role?

Need runes as well and looking around its obvious my old flat hp quints aren't that great anymore. I want some good all round quints so what should I buy to replace those.

Any other info I might want to know?
Lets see Shen just got buffed into GODMODE! Kog is good. Akali was nerfed is still viable but not the "I just assassinated 3 tanks" champion she was. Ashe is not bad but not as good as other ranged carries
Current meta is- Top (brusier/sustain), Mid (carry caster), Jungler (tanky dps), (support and ranged carry bot)
Good quints are magic pen, armor pen, flat ap, flat ad (for some champs) and ms

ikillutwice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodhi View Post
Despite what people might say on the forums, I really feel like all champions are viable and see regular play at high elo except for Eve (who can still pubstomp at low elo).
Xin
Victor
kat- only because CC pwns her so hard