What exactly IS elo hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BurntWalrus

02-27-2012

If i'm correct, do you actually lose more elo than if you win?

Seems a bit ridiculous considering that if you don't get good teamates you will consistently be in the same bracket.......

Hyosun

02-27-2012

its an elo range where the skill level of your teammates are so bad that it makes it very hard to win. After you lose elo, you will end up queing with these same players.

There are a lot of people that state elo hell is just a mindset. If you want to simply label elo hell as a 1000-1200 range where people are relatively bad then you can make the case for a "hell" existing in every bracket. Then there are those that cite the 0/7 lane amumu and the bottom ad carry with 40 cs 20 minutes into the game, and in general teammates that play like level 10's that elo hell is in fact, very real.

However most of the discussion surrounding elo hell can be summed up quite simply.

"My teammates are terrible and I cannot win games because of them"

TheGreenLighter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

i stopped playing ranked because to me its a waste of time... my score will never improve if you dont get lucky in the beginning you will just snowball down and eventually become a avalanche to something similar to my elo. i had high hopes but the were just smashed by reality... teaming up with 4 random people is no fun and my win ratio sucks. i find it amazing that this elo system is still in effect

phatcat09

02-27-2012

ELO Hell is where you don't' have a choice, but to carry your team. Particularly obtrusive for support players.

Atzigan

02-27-2012

Want to get out of elo hell? Play with a positive attitude and lead your team and guide them through the game. I was 1380 then went down to 900 for raging and being angry all the time. This shiz gets as crazy as angry german kid sometimes for some players. But after you learn how to control yourself and control the match all you need to do to get out of it is be a team leader with a carry, never do support if you want to be up the ladder. What I basically do if they are being jerks and they are not good players that even worse want me to be support because no one wants to be support in the elo bracket. The best you can do is pick your best champion that counters the comp team and earn their trust and morale by getting kills early game and help the other lanes if you're in mid or top. Don't expect to win every game but being a good teamate and leader will get you up the ladder. Down from 900 i'm up to 1180 and haven't lost any match since I learned how to really play as a team. I won't say I won't lose soon there's players like me or your or better down there as well and sometimes the ranked match making gives you harder opponents or a really good carry on the opposite team. You just have to be smarter and anticipate their moves. A ranked team I'm at is around 1300 and there's serious players there most of the time. And jungling is nothing like jungling in Elo Hell, the fights are crazier so don't feel bad if you're in Elo Hell, get better learn from your games record your games if you can and watch them or watch high elo players and learn from them. The game is competitive and hard and that's what makes it fun. Remember to always only play ranked matches if you feel well in every way emotionally and well rested or else your odds to win are not too good because you're not aware of everything that's going on in the game.

Tokinatoor

02-27-2012

i am in this so called elo hell but I have almost pulled my self out of it before....

It is when you win 12 games in a row playing Singed or Taric and only rise 100 Elo....

Look at the ranked stats board, to be top elo you need to win ALL your early games or grind a hell of a lot.

Atzigan

02-27-2012

I don't really consider, being up the ladder winning the first few matches honestly. You might just have luck some losses are inevitable. Getting out of Elo Hell and going up the ladder playing a lot and learning really gets you where you're supposed to be. When you get to 1450...well not even there there's still some trolls there, a little more up that elo matches the game will totally change. no troll chat, just dragon, baron and blue and red's timers, counter jungling is a hobby there. They will counter jungle whenever possible. The middle player will almost always support the top and bottom lanes by ganking at any time possible. The wards are so important there they ward almost all your buffs and entrances or exits. The wards are not only for the support to buy, all the team must buy wards whenever possible for map awareness when enemies are off position. Give the last hit kills sometimes to your teammates so they can make a difference later with that gold advantage and know when to take the kills. Don't push the lanes as a jungler just maintain it to where he left it. As a support get gp5 items or runes depending on what your style is, at the most get 8 creeps or only farm when the teamate is not in the lane. You just gotta play smart, smarter than the others and know your role and improve your strategy.

ThePenginator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

also a great way to get out of elo hell is to do duo queue with a friend and take the bot lane as support and ranged ad

Mylon

02-27-2012

The real problem with elo hell is that it takes forever to escape. Even if you play this game like a part time job and have a great win rate, you'll still be stuck there for 6 months:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=670634

BurntWalrus

02-27-2012

Ok so i'm going to stay out of ranked then.

From the looks of things its one of those "carry your team every game for months" type of ranking.
------------------

Personally in a 1v1 situation or maybe even 2v2 or 3v3(like starcraft) i wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with it. But from the looks of things its more or less a ranking system thats based on others actions and not yours alone.
-And from the looks of things its not only a huge grind, but without any real benifits.

I'm all for competitive play, but it seems to me that riot just does not care about this system at all so i'll avoid it.