Hello, high elo players. Why is Garen not played at high elo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Falkentyne

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkeyCourier View Post
I love it how only 1 reply so far has been from someone who's actually good enough to provide an answer.
Remember, this is League of Arrogant players. Not many people are good enough to provide answers--they just copy and paste what they read from guides, instead of personal experience.

A smart, crafty player can take even an underrated champ past elo hell. This isn't Starcraft, where there are no excuses to losing a 1v1 matchup. It's a team game. And the better teamwork will win, EVEN with non-optimal team composition. All it takes is 1 fed carry and 4 dependable teammates...(provided you aren't using 5 tanks or 5 supports

basketball95

03-06-2012

the reason garen isn't played often in higher elo is that there are much fewer mistakes made there
the reason garen does well in say 1300 below is that there are a lot of over extensions
over aggresiveness etc. this is where garen capitalizes as he works off of opponent mistakes such as coming to close for a minion kill etc. He is very strong early but sort of like leblanc unless fed, is fairly useless late game well not useless but not very good
high elo tends to use late game chars as thats where the game is often decided in team fights where garen doesn't do too well.
also high elo tends to need a lot of cc, garen only has a silence on a single target
take a look at other solo tops who have say riven has a stun and malachite a knock up and a slow

btw this is coming from a guy who's second main is garen and who i play solo top with mostly

JRizzle81

03-06-2012

I dont know if I am qualified or not, but simply put... there are better options with more useful skills. Garen is great early and okay mid, but late game his dmg falls of and basically becomes a distraction and a execute. Which is not terrible if your team is disorganized and not focusing, but I am sure at higher elo that there is more team work and more understanding of threat so he gets passed over and everyone else gets taken out and Garen close to last.

cloudskipper

03-06-2012

because garen is useless after 25 mins. people usually go for dps garen route who is fairly strong early game, but once the enemy carry has ie + pd garen dies instantly. the biggest reason is that garen has no sustain at all. Cant hold out in a fight when someone lands a stun or slow.

WickedNewob

Master Recruiter

03-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Not an effective solo top after mid game

Usually getting ignored in a team fight, while other solo top have abilities that make them much better at getting attention to soak damage for the AD carry and AP carry.
dam how do you get to challenger purely playing support?

hasteplayer

03-22-2014

I've actually been playing garen today to try him out and use him as a counter pick so let's put it like this. His scaling is decent yes but you have to be able to stick to someone. I've found that a lot of time if I try to stick to someone and deal damage I just get kited. I have found though that he is a great utility tank, but as mentioned he can just be ignored.

Tokyojapan

03-22-2014

Because champions like renekton, shyvana are play alot, and those champions can basiclly out trade you with their intense sustain and your passive relys on you not trading for long periods of time.

If they reworked his passive, he would be played much more, his W makes him scale really well.

Akromah

03-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNewob View Post
dam how do you get to challenger purely playing support?
Sigh..the necros...supports can't carry per say but they can make big plays. It's not uncommon.