The Meta of Banning (Banning Tier list) SummonersRift

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

Hello fellow players. The idea of this thread is to help those who are new to this game or are unsure of what the meta is. This thread will focus on banning and popular picks. This thread is still in the making though so please leave constructive criticism about what can be improved. This thread is also for discussion and your opinion is very valued so please leave comments as to what champions you think are strong picks/bans.
If you dont like this thread or what i have put here dont go DOWNVOTE NOOB! instead, leave me constructive criticism about what you would like to see here!

Anyway on to the list.

First off: what is the "Meta"?
-Meta- (from Greek: μετά = "after", "beyond", "adjacent", "self"), is a prefix used in English (and other Greek-owing languages) to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to complete or add to the latter (wikipedia)

This means that basically, in context of league of legends , the meta is the game-playstyle like what people generally like to do e.g popular builds, team compositions and bans.

Here we go! (tier 1 is highest priority bans) Reasoning for add-ons/change is at the bottom.

Tier 1: If you enter a draft mode game there are high chances that champions in this tier will be banned.
Shaco, Morganna, Kassadin, Rammus, Shen, Kennen.

Tier 2: If you enter a draft mode game there is a good chance that champions in this tier will be banned.
Ahri, Vladimir, Singed, Cassiopia, Skarner, Lee sin , Gangplank,

Tier 3: if you enter a draft mode game there is a slight chance that champions in this tier will be banned.
Tryndamere, Riven, Amumu, Graves, Irelia , Maokai.

Tier 1
Shaco: Ever since his little remake buff people have been realising is true potentiel although it was never evident before. Shaco was always the pubstomper but the buffs made him even more popular. Even with his slight nerfs, he is still a very dangerous pubstomper which can punish new players and swing the game around with his quick and deadly jungle ganks. Almost always banned due to his snowballing abilities.

Morganna: Although personally, i do not see the threat in morganna she is sitll nether the less a very powerful mage. While having the ability to be build tanky and still have great damage. She is also impossible to be denied to to her farming ability W, near impossible to be ganked due to her E and also near impossible to out sustain due to her passive. This makes her a beast in lane and a real pain to deal with. In teamfights, her ultimate is game changing. Almost always banned due to her great all around abilities with little weakness.

Kassadin: Kassadin has always been a popular ban due to his infamous ability to quickly gain first blood once reaching level 6 then snowballing the game by picking on unsuspecting players. THis makes him similar to shaco in some respect, but he is a mid Ap mage rather than a jungler. HIs silence can shut down the enemy mage and his infamous ability to blink around the map gives him great mobility. Almost always banned due to his ability to snowball, shut down the enemy mage who is doing well and his great mobility which is valuable in solo queue.

Rammus: Rammus has always been a very annoying champion to deal with. From his lightning fast gank abilities with a deadly taunt to his late game seemingly invincible defense, rammus is a jungler which scales well from early game to late. He can allow his teamates to snowball and thus is very valuable in a team. He is banned for his ability to snowball games in his favour for his team (feeding his teamate's kills) and his
impenetrable late game defense.

Shen: is more of those FOTM (flavour of the month) champions that become popular from a recent buff and will decrease in popularity once riot sees how overpowered they are and nerfs them. However, for now shen is very popular due to his rework which gives him great harassing ability from his passive (which scales of health which allows him to beocome tanky AND deal insane damage) and from his spammable Q which deals a hefty amount of damage after a few of them. ALternatively, shen has the ability to lock up multiple abilities with his taunt which provides mobility , allowing him to go over walls. However the most infamous/famous moves shen has up his arsenal is his ultimate: united we stand. Before, when shen was still strong, he was banned everygame due to his ultimate which allows him to place a giant shield on any of his teamates on the map.then after a few seconds, join them. This means that he can gank and counter gank. what looked like 3 people contesting a dragon suddenly becomes four. what looked like 2 bot lane champions being ganked by a jungler suddenly turns to a 3v3 with the momentum of a farmed solo top. Shen is banned in almost everygame because of his harrassing ability, sustain, tankiness and dreaded game changing ultimate.

Tier 2 (less will be posted about these champions)

Ahri: Ever since this champion came out, she was not banned often until pro players played her and dispalyed her ultimate kiting and diving skills that allow her to counter most skill shot based opponents and deal damage to them at the same time. her passive gives her decent sustain in lane but the reason she is banned is mostly for the mobility that comes with her ult. 3 short flashes is nothing to laugh at, especially when she deals damage if she lands on top of you. together with her E it allows her to dance around enemies and get into the perfect position to charm and Q. Banned for her awesome mobility, harassing abilities and her ability to kite and dive with her charm.

Vladimir: Vladimir is a champion that has for some reason been recently banned a few times. Although i have no idea why, his ability to sustain in lane and harass is quite good once he makes it past level 6. He is also ungankable once he gets his pool W and becomes incredibly tanky late game due to his passive. his untilmate if used correctly can be game changing. He is sometimes banned due to his ability to dodge almost all spells targeted at him,his tankyness late game and his sustain in lane.

Champions Removed:
Sivir and Vayne- their nerfs have made them alot more manageable and people are no longer banning them as often.
Akali- The nerfs to hextech gunblade and herself have made her now manageable as long as players are cautious. As long as a player is smart and doesn't allow her to kill she will not snowball uncontrollably.

Champions Added:

Champions Changed:
Kennen: Seeing alot more bans of him. His abilities to lock up multiple enemies in a teamfight is dangerous and if fed can carry a game with just one good ult. hie E makes him difficult to escape from or be caught

More to be added later!
Hope you have enjoyed it so far. remember to post suggestions!

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2012

bump~ please add a comment guys!

Tonked

03-03-2012

I won't comment on the actual information, because I'm not that knowledgeable... However, you use the word "snowball" too much. And there are multiple grammatical errors in the text.

Sokolniki

03-03-2012

I think the reason why Vlad gets banned is because they want an opportunity for their AP mid and/or jungler to feed on kills.

ExecutionerK

03-03-2012

Singed Vayne and Sivir?

What?

Outside of tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 are mostly wrong.

XTreeX

03-03-2012

Ah hello kenny <3 tier 2 and tier 3 champions are champions that i that i have seen banned a few times during this month. they ARE being banned just not as often unlike other champions such as blitz crank and chogath or renekton etc.
As for the grammatical errors i have not gotten around to that yet. the term snowball means that with each kill on someone unsuspecting they get stronger and those tier 1 champions tend to do that, thus are banned often. THanks for the comments everyone tell me what you would like to see here.

P.S no upvotes or downvotes are required. its just a list to help new players understand the current meta. if you dont like something tell me

EDIT: @ExecutionerKen your right, sivir and vayne are not being as banned so often since their nerfs i will edit it out because it is no longer in the meta. Also the champions in Tier 3 are not really being banned because they are kind of last years bans. However some people still ban them for some reason. (at least at my elo level which is not high) Please tell me what to add because the bans and picks may be different in the 1800's.

XTreeX

03-04-2012

bump~

ScreamPaste

03-05-2012

I main Shaco but when he gets banned it feels like a waste of a ban to me. Good players place wards and don't over extend, these two precautions shut down his ganks pretty hard, lol. A cautious team that doesn't feed Shaco will not have to worry about him late game. I never ban him because even if the enemy team gets him I'm not worried. I'd much rather ban Sion/Shen/Rammus.

Raidarc

03-05-2012

I like to ban Riven or Olaf since his buff. Depends how I'm feeling really. Those 2 are scarier than Tryndamere, Olaf moreso.

Raidarc

03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamPaste View Post
I main Shaco but when he gets banned it feels like a waste of a ban to me. Good players place wards and don't over extend, these two precautions shut down his ganks pretty hard, lol. A cautious team that doesn't feed Shaco will not have to worry about him late game. I never ban him because even if the enemy team gets him I'm not worried. I'd much rather ban Sion/Shen/Rammus.
I agree, if Shaco doesn't snowball early and get some early kills he is really useless late game.