@Community; You guys are rusty at persuasion and social politics.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sefam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

Too bad even if I write my posts in an articulated matter, I get 10 "lol stop QQing" responses, 15 downvotes, and a locked thread.

I'd rather make 40 threads on the same subject per day, it's more productive.

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysergsaure View Post
This is one of the best, if not the best post on the forums at the moment. This should be stickied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSoultaker View Post
Great great post. I was thinking of making something like this, but it would have been nowhere as good.
Thank you.

I see so many people who have perfectly valid underlying points; while their approach to the subject is simply benign if not outright atrocious.

I'm hoping this helps since as I said, it is a relationship between us and Riot. The better that relationship, the better the service, the more finical support we provide, etc

Sefam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Thank you.

I see so many people who have perfectly valid underlying points; while their approach to the subject is simply benign if not outright atrocious.

I'm hoping this helps since as I said, it is a relationship between us and Riot. The better that relationship, the better the service, the more finical support we provide, etc
What?

Here's a title "I think Flash is not good for the game"

Reason 1, Reason 2, Reason 3 without any exxageration or insults.

What do I get? 15 downvotes and a lock. This community is ran by trolls. Might be my bad reputation, but I shouldn't be completely shut off from making thread because the same people always insta-downvote as soon as they see my name.

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefam View Post
Too bad even if I write my posts in an articulated matter, I get 10 "lol stop QQing" responses, 15 downvotes, and a locked thread.

I'd rather make 40 threads on the same subject per day, it's more productive.
That's why you make a few alt accounts to combat the first few people who "Skim and -1".

A valid point is valid; despite the reputation that the communities of MOBA games have; we harbor many articulate individuals. I would even say enough to outnumber the trolls. And they will recognize these types of posts.

But most of them are moderates as I described. Either because they are disgusted by the trolls or they fear their posts may end up as you described, simply trolled and -1'd into oblivion. Who do not wish to waste the effort.

I for one cannot stand to be a moderate.

Sefam

07-29-2010

Quote:
That's why you make a few alt accounts to combat the first few people who "Skim and -1".

A valid point is valid; despite the reputation that the communities of MOBA games have; we harbor many articulate individuals. I would even say enough to outnumber the trolls. And they will recognize these types of posts.

But most of them are moderates as I described. Either because they are disgusted by the trolls or they fear their posts may end up as you described, simply trolled and -1'd into oblivion. Who do not wish to waste the effort.

I for one cannot stand to be a moderate.
The new accounts are Junior Accounts and don't appear as valid. Besides, why the hell would I make a new account, to make points, that are not even credited to me, only to ward off a bunch of trolls who are abusingly parasiting this flawed community system?

Fix it, it's broken.

SlyGoat

07-29-2010

oh, this thread again

tl;dr

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
The new accounts are Junior Accounts and don't appear as valid. Besides, why the hell would I make a new account, to make points, that are not even credited to me, only to ward off a bunch of trolls who are abusingly parasiting this flawed community system?

Fix it, it's broken.
I meant the up and down votes.

Many people decide the validity or worth of a thread before they read it. Based on votes.

If your thread immediately gets -2 or -3, the likelihood of more - votes increases. Again this is the concept of "Numbers behind a claim". They assume if these people took the time to -1 then it was for good reason.

Sefam

07-29-2010

Quote:
I meant the up and down votes.

Many people decide the validity or worth of a thread before they read it. Based on votes.

If your thread immediately gets -2 or -3, the likelihood of more - votes increases. Again this is the concept of "Numbers behind a claim". They assume if these people took the time to -1 then it was for good reason.
I know what you meant, but it's flawed and it needs to be fixed.

I always touch touchy subjects about MM, Flash, or some certain champions, and guess what? They ALL get locked. And as soon as I talk about another problem, it just falls down in the depths of second page with less than 5 replies.

Kid Cancer

07-29-2010

Great thread.

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
I know what you meant, but it's flawed and it needs to be fixed.

I always touch touchy subjects about MM, Flash, or some certain champions, and guess what? They ALL get locked. And as soon as I talk about another problem, it just falls down in the depths of second page with less than 5 replies.
Perhaps we should devise a plan for better forum moderation.

Currently the forum is akin to a true democracy. The active (key word) public doesn't like something; whether or not they understand it then they -1.

Perhaps we instead need to become a democratic republic. And simply hold a poll and vote moderators that we trust with our flow of information. Clearly Riot would not accept a troll to have any substantial power over other players. Not only that but trolls do not like other trolls, and they certainly do not like to be out trolled. So there is no reason for anyone to not vote for a respectable forum member.

That way the community still moderates the forums; we just elect community representatives to do it.

Add me on the LoL client. I think we may have something here, actually.