@Community; You guys are rusty at persuasion and social politics.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

The most efficient ways to get something you want from someone are;

• Sheer weight behind your opinions; I.E. Number of people who agree and openly support the same things you support.
  • Convincing the person in question your stances are their stances (benefits them entirely), and/or that changes you have in mind are inspired by or outright their ideas to begin with.
  • Source-able authority. Riot is more likely to listen to a person who is qualified to criticize the dilemma in question. Even if you and the head of marketing at Blizzard were say the exact same thing about Riot's business model; by default they will listen more attentively (regardless as to whether or not Riot agrees with Blizzard or you; Blizzard might have a poor business model for all I know, it is simply an example) to the Bliz guy simply because he has credibility.
  • Force. Violence, blackmail etc

Then look at your options;

Numbers have proved a valid tactic on these forums. However this is so only because the majority happened to have a handful of articulate people who were capable of voicing the stances in a way that Riot recognized and appreciated. Without these people I think the "Meta" would be rather different currently.

Numbers is not an invalid approach; however it requires grace.

Persuasion is for those of you who are on a personal basis with a Riot employee(s) this is clearly going to be the option for you. However there is still not a Mudkip Teemo skin, so either Larias isn't trying hard enough or Riot is simply implacable. So this method in context to the League of Legends and Riot is unconfirmed.

Authority is an option for very few people in this community. I would wager a guess to maybe as many people who are active on these forums as I can count on one hand. This is a bald assertion but a safe one to present if I say so myself.

Force. Silliness. A flawed tactic for any situation in today's society. You may or may not temporarily get what you desired but the consequences to your actions will always outweigh any benefit you may have briefly gotten; short of revenge. But this isn't Rome or Victorian France. Honor and respect are not held in as high esteem nor does it really apply to this community so there isn't much vengeance floating around. Invalid primitive tactic.

Much like an Economy or any problem concerning diverse peoples; there isn't any one simple answer.

You will need numbers, tact, the ability to be convincing, articulation, authority and forceful in resilience.

Posting an inevitably -67 QQ thread simply to get your opinions heard; only invalidates your opinions. And as consequence if your post is remembered it then invalidates people's opinions who are similar to yours. Even if their post is well written and thought-out. This is the simple concept of association.

I'm sure you've all seen "Oh, it's this thread again." responses. Perfect example.

Riot is a business. They provide a service yet require a profit. Otherwise the service dies. Then we all lose.

This isn't a LoL players VS Riot scenario.

You want more stable servers? Let's make an articulate thread requesting more information as to how the servers work. Let's get this thread to +300 so Riot knows a large portion of the community is on board and that the idea is well accepted.

You think a champion is over-powered? Deconstruct the champion to it's purposes. Is it a carry, nuker, tank, assassin? Then deduce what it's abilities and versatility provide regardless of it's supposed role. Crunch the numbers and prove undeniably that it is too powerful in certain roles or situations that needs changing. And try to do so pleasantly. Is that champion suppose to be a DPS/Nuker; yet is most efficient as a DPS, AoE Nuker, AoE Heal + Buff and Debuff? Then present your claims as such, with mathematical and logical proof Riot cannot deny. The idea is to "be victorious before your opponent can draw his sword". Show them undeniably that you have a point, that something needs to be changed and you have a possible solution.

Riot has a small test-pool for releasing champions, they've never claimed to only release balanced champions. It's our job to dictate what is and what is not acceptable in the game we enjoy playing. It is not our job to complain as if we were infants craving milk.

You are suppose to be dominant in your stance. However keep in mind this does not entail you can have any stance you please and be dominant with it. If your stance completely lacks objectivity then you are simply acting a fool. There is a difference between being dominant in your stance and thinking you are dominant in your stance. Plenty of people throughout history thought the world was flat. Few in ancient times knew the world was not.

Recognize if your opinion is simply bias. It is not unnatural or wrong to be biased. I hate Morde for example. I think he's a useless PoS that may as well be deleted. I have no actual basis for this other then I've only seen ~4 good ones ever; who were fed off of baddies. But he may very well be a good champion. I haven't even played him. Therein lies the flaws to my stance. I simply invented an opinion that suits me. This is not a good enough stance to request change from, at all. That is why I don't post "buff or remove Morde" threads. Because I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Mordekaiser. And it is my job as an intelligent person striving to be taken seriously in my views to admit this if only to myself.

You do not have to behave jovial, or sullen, or meek. But at the very least appreciate there is a relationship between us; the playerbase, and Riot. Again this isn't a battle between us, it is a system, a poorly maintained one at the moment IMO. There is no need to rage, or complain, or call names, or place blame.

Simply recognize a problem. Make a claim, backing it with evidence. Articulate it so people will find it agreeable (to get numbers). If you have an undeniable claim I.E. "____'s ult is too strong" People will inevitably agree, but if you take care to word your post properly the moderate forum goers who simply observe the happenings and don't take part will become more agreeable to your claim and possibly offer support. This is what politicians call acquiring untapped resources.

If you articulate your post well, with an authoritative yet reasonable demeanor you automatically hold the persuasion card. If your claim is objective and simply true you automatically have numbers. On top of your persuasion card you then have even more numbers to you cause. And in numbers with a true and well written proposition comes people who appreciate your effort who are themselves, articulate individuals. That may or may not be specific authorities on certain problems... For example Server administrators for other games or websites. A person trying to persuade Riot to invest more time in explaining the ins and outs of their servers to the community and whether or not they've done all they can do invest in them properly would want someone on their side who knows about servers. If nothing else then to provide information on what Riot may be dealing with, with so much downtime.

This is more likely with more numbers, which is more likely with a well though-out if not true and persuasive claim.

Politics is no simple game, from the world stage to internet forums, to personal relationships in your daily life. Many people are not good at it, and it is easy to take advantage of these people. Hence politics' association with deceit and vile, untrustworthy characters.

Yet most of us have had to go to school and talked our way through a better grade in a class or on an exam. Most of us have been in job interviews. These are not inherently deceitful things but it is politics.

I hope this has refreshed your minds.

Har

07-29-2010

While I agree with most of your post, the thing you're overlooking is that the majority of LoL players and posters are simply of an age where they genuinely don't give a flying **** about any of the things you're writing about. They simply want what they want, and want it now. Stuff like "persuasion and social politics" is simply outside of their reality at that point in their lives, and mentioning it will just make it less likely that your post will sway anyone.

That's just the reality that this and any other video game community has to deal with.

Bronze Sun

07-29-2010

I think someone is over thinking things
or I'm under thinking things
also wall of text has critted me for over 9000

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze Sun View Post
I think someone is over thinking things
or I'm under thinking things
also wall of text has critted me for over 9000
I rushed an Infinity Edge.

Bronze Sun

07-29-2010

nerf please

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
However there is still not a Mudkip Teemo skin, so either Larias isn't trying hard enough or Riot is simply implacable.
Or, you know, Nintendo will sue.

CTHDRL

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Was Tuesday View Post
Or, you know, Nintendo will sue.
Axolotl Teemo FTW

http://davidcrew.files.wordpress.com...al-pokemon.jpg

Jikk

07-29-2010

i support the force/violence method.

Lysergsaure

07-29-2010

This is one of the best, if not the best post on the forums at the moment. This should be stickied.

SilverSoultaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

07-29-2010

Great great post. I was thinking of making something like this, but it would have been nowhere as good.