I don't understand 3v3.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muqq

03-02-2012

I've only played 3v3 a few times and I really didn't enjoy it.

It seems to me that there is almost no strategy involved, apparently it's supposed to be 2 bot and 1 top? Every match I played that wasn't the case, it was just there team and my team running around everywhere. It was almost impossible to farm because every time you tried they would just rush you. I was alone up top trying to CS and all 3 would come out of no where. It just seems a bit rediculous.

Can someone run me through what a normal 3v3 game should look like? 2 bot 1 top? 2 top? 1 bot? I have no idea.

dayoldmilk

03-02-2012

1 top 1 jungle 1 bot....

OnlyBotLane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

lol whats your normal elo? because i imagine if your normal elo is bad things would be terrible in TT.

Muqq

03-02-2012

i'm 5-0 right in ranked 5v5.

Hongerdonger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

I've been 3v3ing since level 5 or so.
TBH, there isn't much of a frame except for 1 top and 2 bot (or 1 top, 1 jungle, 1 bot).
Just gank when you feel ready and win.
Dragon is the baron of 3v3.

Boo

03-02-2012

how it is in my eyes:

normals: it will almost always be 1 top 2 bot. the champion top will typically be the one building wriggles and controlling the jungle. top lane will also gank bot whenever he/she can. the two champions bot, depending on how much synergy they have together, will either try to kill the other two champions bot or zone them out of cs. in normals, jungling doesn't work as good without proper communication because some people choose champs that can't 1v2 a lane.

ranked: 1 top, 1 bot, 1 jungler. it's more about counter picking the solo lanes, so usually it will be an ap caster and an ad bruiser in their own lanes respectively but it really depends. the jungler focuses on pressuring the other solo laners by ganking and taking buff control.

Ohhgrr

03-02-2012

I wish the whole 2 bottom thing didn't carry over in popularity from 5s.

Put 2 top or jungle.

Top has control over the entire jungle and is more susceptible to jungle ganks. It makes no sense to have 2 bottom.

OnlyBotLane

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrebait View Post
I wish the whole 2 bottom thing didn't carry over in popularity from 5s.

Put 2 top or jungle.

Top has control over the entire jungle and is more susceptible to jungle ganks. It makes no sense to have 2 bottom.
I disagree that it is easier to escape ganks at bottom.If you push past half way on top lane there are two possible directions to escape to depending on where they are coming from. If you push past halfway as bottom lane there is no direction to escape to, if they managed to get behind you you are just dead. Then again I think there shouldn't be two anywhere.

OnlyBotLane

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muqq View Post
i'm 5-0 right in ranked 5v5.
You are playing on a ranked team and not solo queuing normals? Then the only reason your team has no strategy is because you are not experienced on the map. You should be trying to control the flow of the game so that you can find time to farm while still making aggressive plays. Look at my Renekton stats in 3's for example. I have the most CS in all the games so far but one and also enough aggression to make plays. You just have to know when to go in. Have you looked at the gold that minions give in Twisted Treeline? It is really important to make sure you still farm.

BTW when you get more experienced and further up in the ladder the other team will start having a jungler. It becomes this persons job to do most of the ganking and dragon control while the other two focus on farming without dieing to the other teams jungle ganks.

BFaith

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muqq View Post
I've only played 3v3 a few times and I really didn't enjoy it.

It seems to me that there is almost no strategy involved, apparently it's supposed to be 2 bot and 1 top? Every match I played that wasn't the case, it was just there team and my team running around everywhere. It was almost impossible to farm because every time you tried they would just rush you. I was alone up top trying to CS and all 3 would come out of no where. It just seems a bit rediculous.

Can someone run me through what a normal 3v3 game should look like? 2 bot 1 top? 2 top? 1 bot? I have no idea.
There is definitely strategy, but you have to remember that the strategy shifts pretty hardcore from one end of the game to the other. The start of 3v3s is ruled by aggressive play and smart ganks. You want to bully people into uncomfortable positions constantly, and leave to gank with as much efficiency as possible. You have to remember that it is much harder to call MIAs effectively on 3s because the amount of time to transition from one lane to another is so slight that in order to MIA correctly you'd have to call MIA the split second they leave your vision every time. It just won't cut it normally.

However unlike in 5v5s once you've secured that advantage with early aggressive play, you want to ease off a bit. If you get too cocky and push in inhibs you will usually leave your opponents with super easy farm on super minions and the inability to farm yourself. They'll actually be able to overcome you by sitting in their base, so a much more cautious style will be called for. You'll need to hold the advantage by constantly getting dragon when it's up and disallowing your opponents to venture across their half of the map.

Also, your jungler in 3s will spend less time in jungle than a jungler in 5s would. Since ganks can come so quickly he needs to take advantage of that, and because lanes can be so easily lost/won, he needs to take a part in that too. It's realistically the same responsibilities that a jungler has in 5s but he needs to concentrate on his auxillary functions even more so than normal.

Also, champions are not the same in 5s as in 3s. Some champs that have super great late games in 5s like Amumu are almost trash in 3v3. He'll never have the time to reach his late game and a champ that is as feared as him will get controlled to no end on a map as small as TT. On the other hand, champions like Rumble are incredible because of how easy it is for a bully like him to dominate a small lane like that.

Either way, the composition SHOULD look like 2 top 1 bot or 1 top, 1 bot, 1 jungler. I don't think that either composition is superior to the other and it really depends on the champs you guys are picking compared to your opponents. People use the 2 bot thing for some unknown reason to me, as it doesn't guard anything in particular except for being slightly easier to access red runes. By contrast having 2 top can make for early dragon grabs very possible and if you have champs that can go through walls it makes defending dragon a joke.