[Champion Feedback] Janna - Worst support character

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadowOrigin

10-18-2009

As the title states, I believe Janna to be the worst support champion currently in this game. Everything she does, every other pure support champion can do, and better. She requires more money than any other support champion, and this only gets her up to their base ability levels. Her abilities generally cost more mana than every other pure support hero, while also being less useful/harder to use, generally doing less damage or slowing less, and having worse scaling for AP.

------------

Tailwind: Her only good ability. Keep this as is.

------------

Howling Gale: Barely acceptable damage early game, completely useless late game beyond its knock-up, which needs to charge and can still be pretty easily dodged. Starfall does more damage, and lowers magic resist. Time Bomb does more damage, can be double bombed and can be cast and then walk away for great use early and late game. Shatter does more damage, and lowers armor. This ability is in desperate need of attention if even the other support champions have significantly better abilities, much less actual damage classes.

• Suggestion: Make it a castable AOE, comparable to Spirit Fire from Nasus. Like Spirit Fire, it would do damage over time, however at the end of its effect it would perform its current knock up effect. Just like now, it could be cast again at any time in order to cause aforementioned knock up effect. This would still allow her to have some form of a damage ability and knock up effect, but be far more easy to use and useful in all stages of a fight. The radius on this effect would likely need to be tweaked for proper balance.
------------

Zephyr: Short range slow, which barely does any slowing until you get it to at least level 3. Passively increases her move speed and lets her walk through units, but is lost upon casting, thus making it generally not interesting. Zilean's haste is better in absolutely every way, at every single level, and is especially better late game.

• Suggestion: Make the passive work all the time, it should not be removed upon cast. Make it so that it hits multiple champions in an area, similar to Katarina's bouncing blades, bouncing to 1/1/2/2/3 champions in the area. This would only hit champions, not creeps. The slow time may need to be dropped to 3s for this. Alternatively, re-balance and slightly buff the slowing percents, to something along the lines of 32 / 38 / 44 / 50 / 56%.
------------

Eye Of The Storm
: 100-300 damage absorption, increases physical damage done by target by 24-48, costs 70-150 mana. Morgana has an arguably better shield in absolutely every regard, except for a shorter range, yet it only costs 50 mana at all levels. The heck?

• Suggestion: Flat mana cost of 70. Make the ability so that it increases physical attack and ability power, and that they both remain on for the full duration even if the shield has been destroyed. Both of those are necessary, beyond that a slight increase in damage absorbed would be helpful. This would help make the shield useful to every champion in the game, rather than only physical attackers. Having to stop your movement to cast the shield is also very limiting while being chased. Morgana's Black shield doesn't slow her down when she uses it.
------------

Monsoon: Ah yes, Monsoon. A healing ability that requires you to run into the middle of a fight to actually heal your team. If you're winning the fight, you knock back the opponents into potentially bad locations. If you're losing the fight, the knock back probably isn't going to save your team. In both cases, it doesn't heal enough without a serious amount of AP to be remotely useful, and if you're stacking that much AP Janna is likely a squishy target in the middle of the fray. Soraka has less initial HP healed, but it's instant, has better AP scaling, and is a map wide heal. Taric is the same regen idea, but he can actually move while channeling it, and it greatly increases team damage done. Zilean can stop a death on anyone in the team, later in the game even possible to use twice in a team fight with enough cooldown decreases.

• Suggestion: This ultimate should be remade to be comparable to Gangplank's ultimate. It could be exactly the same as it is now, an area heal with an initial knock back, only usable on the whole map, and Janna not channeling it. This alone would give significantly more usefulness to the ultimate, and make it so Janna doesn't die trying to use it. In addition to this, it should also heal more over a shorter period of time, somewhere around 90/180/270 heal every second for 4 seconds.
------------

I tried to keep all of the ideas for this comparable to current abilities that other champions have, so no major overhauling or adding entirely new ideas would be necessary. While all of these may need to have their numbers tweaked, I believe these would make Janna an acceptable member of any team, rather than being harder to play and less rewarding than every other support champion.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2009

I do agree that Janna desperately need a buff. I think she's possibly the only really underpowered champion right now--so underpowered that no one even plays her, hence no one made any complaints!

I like your ideas, with exception of Howling Gale. I think it's a skillshot with a very interesting mechanics. But it needs to be easier to use, and more rewarding when it hits.

Refallen

The Council

10-18-2009

I actually think Janna is a great hero to have, especially when you face a premade who stacks all AoE ults (OWAIT I JUST DESCRIBED 90% OF PREMADES). Monsoon is really, really good for breaking a combo. Her E and Q skills are pretty awesome for support, and her W is a cheap nuke that slows. I don't really think she's as underpowered as you make her out to be, but I agree that she could use a remake - too boring, imho.

Grotsnik

10-18-2009

While your heart is in the right place, your execution is terribly flawed. You can't compare Janna to the best of every character. Don't compare her to Zilean. They're not even similar. Even Morgana is a stretch. Keep the comparison to Taric and Soraka.

If you really want to make a point. Compare the supporting effects of Soraka vs the crowd control of Janna. Compare the healing and of Taric to the crowd effects of Janna. Don't compare Janna's damage against Zilean's damage.

OctopusDropkick

10-18-2009

Good post and yeah Janna needs some major loving.

Keyn

10-18-2009

I read the whole thing. I like how detailed you were and I see your points, but having played Janna numerous times I have simply found better results. Her skillshot can harass enemy champs early and mid game, and obliterate creeps mid and late game. When you're ambushed at melee, you can fire it off quickly for damage, and a second or so of time to breathe, and it easily gives you time to toss that origami bird floating around your head.

I will admit that her shield could use some work - Some people have found it to be good early game, but I couldn't bring myself to not raise my gale and zephyr. Late game, it's hardly worth having other than to block a single enemy attack. And being that you have to stop to cast it, you kinda open yourself up to at least one more attack!

Her ultimate, on paper, fails. But when you get around to using it, you find that it has so many different uses! First of all, never, ever give a dying enemy a head start. You will not be liked by your team. At all. But Monsoon can:

-Heal a large group of allied champs in a fight, assuming you won't be giving a dying enemy champ a way out.

-It can be used as a GTFO move when the melee'ers come up to cut Janna.

-(My favorite) Hit an enemy with Zephyr, then use your superior mobility to run in front of them and toss them and any other allied champs around them back to your allies. Or in other words, an aoe Tristana ult.

Janna is not a pick-up-and-play kind of character, because she requires a good deal of thought to perform well with. But played correctly, she is anything but underpowered.

Saden

10-18-2009

I agree that SOME love is needed.

Mostly in the form of bug fixes and a remake of her Ult. I've put up a bug post but obviously gotten no reply. Her "Howling Gale" randomly skips over some mobs and people in its path. That's right. I spent that time channeling it only for it NOT to hit the intended target. Not only is it EASILY dodge and not only can the other team see it before it hits them, it randomly chooses NOT to hit them.

The tornadoes are great early game. You throw them into the fray onto mobs and occasionally try to hit someone. They do a good amount of health of some champions and if you have someone with you in the lane both of you can easily gank.

I've been working at perfecting a Janna build and skill set along with going through every scenario with the ultimate goal of devastating the other team. I've won on a team with her about 8 times out of 10 now. And the only reason I lost twice was because (sadly) you get newbs who REALLY don't know how to play. You know, the ones that blatantly feed the other team by standing around a tower trying to kill one of their champs all the while dying quickly from the tower's damage...

*roll eyes* Anyways, the bugs need fixing and her Ultimate needs a revamp. I ALWAYS get it last. Never, never, never, never, never do I find myself in a situation early game in which I can't use either Zephyr or Tornado or the sheer run speed to get away from someone. And that's all monsoon is. An escape that costs a lot of mana and costs an ENTIRE skill. I'd rather have something like Ryze's second op'ed skill. Extra AP and attack for nothing. Monsoon doesn't heal enough late game to overtake DPS and it's just completely useless.

All in all, Janna is a brilliant character that changes the tide of any game if played right.

O' and another thing. She needs more movement speed. Master Yi can run faster than someone that controls the wind? Maybe her ulti should be a global 15% slow debuff/haste buff. Slow the enemy, hasten allies. Obviously it could only be for 10 seconds, but that would make her a viable champion in games and I'd actually pick up that Ultimate sooner...than level 15.

Lollerman

10-18-2009

I can't see how Gale loses effectiveness if it can knock up... but yes, I've been thinking Zephyr is counter productive if you use it as an active; it basically slows you down too since you lose to passive. I agree with Zephyr's suggestions.

As for everything else, you can't be comparing everything toe-to-toe... need to considering CD, and the champion's own skill sets.

Mercurius

10-18-2009

She's amazing as she is, and just plain better than Taric in general.
What is with baddies having trouble grasping Janna & Mundo?
There's no way Janna needs a buff. That'd just make her overpowered and completely skill-less to play like what happened to Soraka & Mundo.

Saden

10-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
I can't see how Gale loses effectiveness if it can knock up... but yes, I've been thinking Zephyr is counter productive if you use it as an active; it basically slows you down too since you lose to passive. I agree with Zephyr's suggestions.

As for everything else, you can't be comparing everything toe-to-toe... need to considering CD, and the champion's own skill sets.
It not only knocks the target up but it does no damage. It "skips" over them, as I said which means it isn't effective in any way.