Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Drop In Spectate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crs Skyblade

03-01-2012

I have not logged into the PBE in a while.

For Drop in spectate, can there be two options:

1) Friend only: You can only see your friend and his/her team, so you are able to still talk with him and not have the 3 minute delay, didnt show gold diffrence, etc. (I very much like this idea and I think summoners will too!)

2) Regular spectate: Spectate as it is, 3 minute delay, can see enemy gold and positions, etc.

Just a suggestion that I think will go a long way.

If this is already the case then... oops. I'll figure out tomorrow.

Crs Skyblade

03-04-2012

bump*

chunkface

Game Engineer

03-07-2012

This is not a bad suggestion, and would be a nice thing to have, but unfortunately there are some limitations in the tech that make it not feasible.

One problem is that there is no separation in the spectator data between the different players. The data that spectators get includes the data for both teams, so even if we were to hide the data for the client, a malicious user could still get access to information about the other team.

Also, spectators are not connected to the same server as players. This allows us to have many users viewing a single game without affecting the game for the players, but it also means that there is an inherent delay of the spectator servers getting the game data.

Mica

03-07-2012

What about being able to just drop into a random ranked/blind pick game? For ranked you could maybe pick a certain ELO and Blindpick you could just queue as spectate role and just watch a random game. I personally would love this because i enjoy just watching games not just for pointers/tips/strategies but just for fun. Connecting to a custom game where people actually play hasn't really worked out for me. It's always ARAMS and the such. If you connect to a random game there is no potential for abuse.

chunkface

Game Engineer

03-07-2012

We have some ideas in the works for being able to spectate games other than from your friends list. I don't have any details on what those features are or how soon they will be available, but this is definitely something we want for our users, and we will be looking for ways to give players access to interesting games to spectate.