3v3 Map Design / Suggested Changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Champlord

03-01-2012

Hi there,

I recently had a really bad experience that turned what was surely a win into a loss because of the 3v3 map design. In addition, my friend who was a 3v3 sceptic at best, vowed never to touch the map again, thus ruining our 3v3 team.

First I will list some of the problems that I feel with 3v3 at various stages of the game

Early Game: The 3v3 early game is fun and dynamic, and often characterized by a lot of ganks. This is one of the main draws of 3v3, since there seems to be more pvp action and less farm. It is also precipitated by the distance both bottom and top lane are from their towers, they are quite distant from the middle of the lane, and thus escape is unlikely without a wall jump. This makes characters with natural sustain and beefiness or characters with mobility desirable. It also discourages the use of many characters, and feels like it limits the viable roster of champions that can be effectively utilized in 3v3, since some lanes become death traps to many squishier characters without an escape.

My other main problem with the 3v3 early game is the jungle. It is too random, and can really have an effect on the game if you do not hit level 2 when you intend too. The jungle should receive a remake, like the summoners rift one.

Conclusion: I feel the outer towers need to be moved ever so slightly towards the center of each lane. This is not to say that I want to turn the lanes into passive farm fests, however, I feel that this would have strong and beneficial increases in champion viability across the board. In addition, it would weaken the very strong early ganks of some characters (I'm looking at you shaco!)

Mid Game: Other things being even, the early-mid game is often characterized by fights over the jungle, and especially dragon. I feel that wriggles lantern completely marginalized the dragon on 3v3, making him far too easy to kill, for such a massive payoff (almost the equivalent of baron). Dragon control obviously decides games, but I feel the dragon should be made a bit stronger to compensate for the boon he provides, in addition, I think he should provide a reasonable debuff to his attackers, so that ambushing a team doing dragon is more punishing (even if they kill it right as you ambush them)

Conclusion: Buff the dragon. He is paramount to success on twisted treeline, but defeating him has become a trivial matter, even very early. In addition, his power and loot should drastically scale later on, so that he is hard to kill, but he allows the team that takes him to break a turtle.

Late Game: Often times, TT will be decided before it goes into the late game, but if it does go late, it often ends up being fairly boring.What I am talking about here is turtling, and the ability to lure creeps into the spawn laser, essentially giving them unlimited turtle / farm and the team that was previously on the offensive no recourse but to farm in the jungle. (which is not as profitable as farming the onslaught of minions). The obvious answer here is to switch the places of the nexus and final turret, so that minions cannot be drawn into the laser. In addition though, I suggest incrementally increasing the worth of dragon every minute that passes, and also increasing his difficulty and buff power. This would allow a team to successfully overpower the defenders.

Conclusion: Buff the dragon during the late game, increase the gold he gives, as well as his buff potency. In addition, switch the places of the nexus and the final tower.

Attached you can see some of the changes I have made to twisted treeline on the map. Note the red section of wall on each base. I have toyed with the thought of adding a jungle entrance to each base, granting increased mobility to champs without it, and adding another entrance. In addition, I have moved the turrets slightly closer to the middle.

What are your thoughts on this? Which of my idea do you agree / disagree with and why?

Champlord

03-01-2012

awwww 9 views and no replies?

BFaith

03-01-2012

I really like this. What do you think about moving the spawn point back a bit?

Captain Kopp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

1. Dragon already hits like a truck. Additionally, his importance just means you need to be that much more diligent about purchasing wards etc. I like having him as such a strong focal point, it means there action every 5 minutes.

2. If you're ahead don't take out the enemy inhibs. Wait for dragon, use it to push down both inner towers, then take out the inhibs once all but the nexus turret are down. If you're truly winning, they won't have time to farm up.

GreenParty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

I play TT a lot, and do agree that dragon needs to be buffed, im tried of seeing top lane get crushed, constantly jungling and getting dragon in one fluid motion and feelings helpless bot lane just watching. And late game i do agree that something needs to be done there, but not sure what exactly, i mean, i have stalled countless games play anivia by placing my ult over my turret and standing inside the healing, regening mana, lol. your map idea isnt bad but i dont want to deal with a tryn or shaco having better access to my turret late game then i do.

Nevermorezorz

03-02-2012

The turret placement is fine, I agree with what most people are saying, Dragon is too weak for almost anyone with wriggles and a hp pot to just go in and slap it for an easy solo kill. While it should be warded for the majority of the game, you can knock dragon out in about 10 - 15 seconds depending on the champ, if your wriggles procs every hit (Hey, it happens.). Just buff dragon already Riot

Nevermorezorz

03-02-2012

Just noticed that you suggested a new entrance to the base. You really don't want an entrance to the base without a lane leading up to it, it just opens up your turret for an armor / hp stacked melee bruiser to run in your base and tank turret for his teammates. That would make games so much shorter.

Champlord

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFaith View Post
I really like this. What do you think about moving the spawn point back a bit?
moving the spawn point back would certainly help, though I am not sure how much farther it can go back without them having to increase the map size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Coookie View Post
1. Dragon already hits like a truck. Additionally, his importance just means you need to be that much more diligent about purchasing wards etc. I like having him as such a strong focal point, it means there action every 5 minutes.

2. If you're ahead don't take out the enemy inhibs. Wait for dragon, use it to push down both inner towers, then take out the inhibs once all but the nexus turret are down. If you're truly winning, they won't have time to farm up.
I agree that dragon should be a strong focal point, but the problem is that he is just so weak. In fact, if anything, buffing him would make him even more of a focal point, if you needed your whole team to kill him early on, because this would result in early 3v3s at dragon. As it is now, a top lane or jungler with wriggles can often kill the dragon before the other team can even respond, even if its warded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermorezorz View Post
Just noticed that you suggested a new entrance to the base. You really don't want an entrance to the base without a lane leading up to it, it just opens up your turret for an armor / hp stacked melee bruiser to run in your base and tank turret for his teammates. That would make games so much shorter.
I agree that it might not be a great idea, I am just throwing it out there. Though remember that they will not be able to keep whittling it down, since the nexus turret regenerates health. They would have to go all or nothing. In addition, almost all of the popular character in 3v3 have walljumps anyways, so would adding a forest entrance really change anything, other than making the base less confining for character without blinks?

As for the entrance making games shorter, well, I believe shorter games is what many people expect from 3v3s.

Nevermorezorz

03-02-2012

Yeah but that would just make it too short...you can't really have just an entrance without a lane...
The champions with walljumps usually have a way in and out, but it's usually a long cooldown, (not all the time, USUALLY).

YijuWarp

03-03-2012

I like the idea about switching turet and nexus positions, Atleast it would prevent abusers like anivia,blitz kog and some other champs who can make hitting the tower suicide!