Ryze: Q or E?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MorikTheMad

03-05-2012

I start crystal + 2 hpots without running clarity, and still don't run into mana trouble often...

Ration your spells. Harass with Q, or Q-W-Autoattack-Q when you can (without too much minion aggro). Or Q-W-E-Q after lvl 4. Don't use any spells on minions until you get tear, at which point the mana potion's usefulness will be past.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

everyone runs defensive masteries? 10% magic pen useless now? not to mention a flat 10% cdr off the start instead of 8 or 9 (i forget) at 18 with the defense tree. i run 9/0/21 with ryze and always have.

MorikTheMad

03-05-2012

10% magic pen isn't useless, but it depends on your items.

% magic pen is more useful late game. If you have mpen marks, sorc shoes, abyssal scepter, and lvl 5 E, you already penetrate a flat 73 MR.
Getting an additional 10% on top of that... bit whoop.

The scepter generally comes late, and you level E last (and don't open your salvo with it), so yes, the 10% can help. But really, the main benefits you get out of 9 in offense and the extra 12 in utility are:
- CDR on summoner spells
- 10% flat instead of 8.2% scaling CDR
- 10% mpen
- a few other minor things

vs

- 3% more movespeed in defense
- stronger early game & all game defenses with 6 armor, 6 MR, 30 health, 6hp/lvl, 3 hp5, 3% to max health, and 10% stackable tenacity.

I'm happy to give up the early game CDR and the summoner spell CDR for the movespeed and the health & defenses.