Preparing for Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iMagnum

02-27-2012

Hello. I haven't been on the forums much, and I only started playing in November or so. I reached 30 a while ago, and I've been trying to practice so that I can play some Ranked games soon. I didn't want to just jump in because I knew that I would be destroyed VERY fast. I've been trying to step up my game, practice last hitting, and learning different champions so that I wasn't just a one-champ wonder. Ahri/Veigar/Swain mid, Tristana/Vayne bot, Zilean/Sona/Janna support bot, Talon/Rumble top, Sejuani/Udyr jungle.

Overall, I feel pretty safe to start playing Ranked, but I would love some advice and any hints I could get. Good ward placements, new champs I should learn, and what I can expect in Ranked. Any and all help would be great and much appreciated!

Dartanion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Hey man,
You sound like you have a decent grasp on the team build that is usually used for ranked and arent afraid to play all spots. As long as you know your champ, you last hit and play smart so that you arent feeding enemy carries and work with your team u should do well.
You start around 1200 or 1300 elo so that competition wont be to extreme, it is definitly almost a different game with the team organization, but i say the best is just to go for it.
Your also better off joining ranked with a duo partner to minimize your randoms that will afk/leave/rage or feed.
Good luck!!

Add1ctedToChaos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Just play safe, and remember, its a TEAM game, if u see that the other team has some "bad" players, go for them, easy kills, get fed, and its done

Grunghole

02-28-2012

Alright, I've got a couple of things for you, since I'm a nice guy and I've got a minute.

Good ward placement: Anywhere that is a high-traffic area deserves wards. Obviously, this will change depending on your Elo and the particular game, but in general: Dragon, Baron and both of the mid-lane bushes see heavy traffic all game. In addition, the buff bushes can be really helpful to catch newer players (or reckless ones) trying to solo your buffs when you're not looking.

Champions to learn: People will tell you that there are a small handful of competitive champions. This is a lie. Most ranged carries are roughly equal in power level. Same with tanks. But for the ones I've seen performing well, I'll make a short list.

Tanks: Shen, Alistar, Nautilus, Leona
AD Carry: Sivir, Vayne, Caitlyn, Graves, Gangplank
AP: Fizz, Ahri, Kassadin, Anivia, Ziggs
Other: Garen, Warwick

Does that mean you can't learn Veigar or Kayle or Ryze or something? No, it just means I personally haven't seen much of them, or when I do see them, they don't do especially well. But I've seen individuals carry with Kayle, seriously! It all depends.

If you want to experience Ranked play without scarring your permanent record, play Draft Normals. It's almost exactly the same thing. In fact, you'll actually get better DN games than Ranked games when you're starting out, since your Normal Elo is exactly where it should be and your Ranked Elo will start out at a very different place (probably).

If you have any more questions, add me in game and we can play a couple of rounds with my buddies.

ADGarner

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunghole View Post
If you want to experience Ranked play without scarring your permanent record, play Draft Normals. It's almost exactly the same thing. In fact, you'll actually get better DN games than Ranked games when you're starting out, since your Normal Elo is exactly where it should be and your Ranked Elo will start out at a very different place (probably).
This is amazing advice. A lot of games go poorly because of the draft process. Make sure you understand it. Take the initiative and ask what others are playing. Lots of people won't commit with out more information. Try telling them the lane you'd like to play and the champion. Don't say things like "I can play them all". You'll find people will say this mostly meaningless phrase because of indecisiveness. In general people who play ranked are confident enough to play every role.

iCoffee

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMagnum View Post
Hello. I haven't been on the forums much, and I only started playing in November or so. I reached 30 a while ago, and I've been trying to practice so that I can play some Ranked games soon. I didn't want to just jump in because I knew that I would be destroyed VERY fast. I've been trying to step up my game, practice last hitting, and learning different champions so that I wasn't just a one-champ wonder. Ahri/Veigar/Swain mid, Tristana/Vayne bot, Zilean/Sona/Janna support bot, Talon/Rumble top, Sejuani/Udyr jungle.

Overall, I feel pretty safe to start playing Ranked, but I would love some advice and any hints I could get. Good ward placements, new champs I should learn, and what I can expect in Ranked. Any and all help would be great and much appreciated!
I just started playing ranked recently, so I'll throw in what I've observed in my games (solo or sometimes with a friend):

You already have what I use for rules #1 and #2 out of the way (know multiple champs for multiple roles, be willing to play them), so I'll skip to your second set of questions:

Warding

1.) Buy wards.

This sounds obvious until I tell you that I want you to buy wards on everything. If you mid, buy a ward or two when you have a little extra gold and use them to make one of the side bushes safe (you then don't have to be as scared about junglers, because he can only realistically gank you from half as many places). If you're AD or top, buy wards. Wards are there to help you stay alive and to help you kill the other team; if you use them for no purpose other than to ruin the jungler's attack paths, I'm perfectly happy with that.

2a.) Don't ward for things you already know.

Nothing frustrates me more as a support than an AD who demands I ward one of the two bushes on the side of bot lane, usually because he's getting poked by enemies who are inside the bush. You know they're in the bush, you know they haven't left the bush, you know their collective maximum range, just stay that far away or force them out.

Special exceptions to this include wards which would prevent someone from dying, or wards which would garner a kill (i.e. dropping a ward in a bush to give sight when both AD carry champions are low on health, and theirs tries to abuse a vision advantage).

2b.) Don't ward when you don't need to.

This goes hand-in-hand with warding for what you already know, which is why I split #2. If their jungler is ganking someone or dead, and no one is missing, you don't need to use a ward spotting for a gank - why spot for something that literally can't exist yet? Once the jungler is up again, then you should definitely drop the ward (assuming you're not sitting on tower or otherwise impossible to gank).

3.) Do ward the enemy jungle.

If you have a fantastic teamfight, or even push farther down mid than you expected you would be able to - and it's safe to drop the ward(s) - then try to get a ward in the enemy jungle. If I have a full stack of extra wards, I will sometimes ward the major exits, red buff (bush), and the bush entrance to the red buff half of the jungle. One ward tells me when their jungler is picking up red (and where he is), the other warns me if the other team is coming through their jungle to gank us in lane (assumed we're overextended, because I got this ward there in the first place).

4.) Pink wards. Use them.

Dragon / Baron control is an amazing resource, pink wards facilitate this. Oracles works in a similar capacity (you run around killing enemy wards, so the other team has no vision), but it won't secure objectives while you're away.

5.) Oracles is not the end of warding.

If the enemy support/whoever picks up an Oracles Elixer, that doesn't mean all your wards die and you should never place another (especially in starter elo). A ward behind dragon or baron often isn't cleared until an attempt is being made, so the ward serves its purpose. Wards on the high-ground entrances to jungles are also less-frequently seen. You will have to sacrifice perfect map vision, but you can still ward.

6a.) Wards do not come with built-in pinging features.

Your teammates will lack your map awareness. I'm not being pessimistic here, they just don't look at the map if they aren't the type to ward. If there's something scary they should be alerted to, ping.

6b.) Don't be "that guy who pings".

Many of us do look at the minimap. We appreciate the pings. One ping is sufficient. Five consecutive pings makes your pings sound less important.

General

1.) Have fun.

You will lose games. You will win games. If you're not enjoying the experience, take a break for a while.

2.) Play safe.

You don't need big plays. If you think about how a lane works, you just need to do more damage to the other guy than he does to you. That doesn't mean you have to kill him in one attack. You can win 10 small exchanges of 1-2 attacks and force your opponent to back out or die, costing him valuable xp and gold (or giving you a kill).

3.) If you don't already, play draft.

Blind pick is like LoL's sandbox. You can do whatever you want here and it will work. In draft (and ranked), players typically adhere to a different team structure (or, rather, a team structure exists here) and are simply better at the game.

4.) Know the usual bans.

Champions like Morgana and Shaco are frequently banned at low elo for a reason. New champions also fall into this rule.

5.) Always ask your team what they want banned (assuming you're banning).

Self-explanatory. You don't want to ban three of your team's mains when you could have all your teammates on their best champions.

AutoSys

02-28-2012

Before you start ranked make sure to study and min/max your champs that you can play accordingly. I.E. Rune/masteries pages.

Support/Tank/AD carry/AP carry/etc. Ideally you want a rune page dedicated to that role that you will play. More rune pages and champs gives you a better ability to help a team.

You want every bit of an edge you can get. You don't have the IP or RP then either buy or earn to get additional runes and rune pages.

Read guides on different roles/champs. Learn positioning. Learn warding which was covered nicely a post or two above. Learn team fights. Learn who/what/where/when to target. Learn the art of split pushing/back dooring. You might be hitting a turret and you need to decide if your death is worth it or if you need to finish turret. Learn the art of baron/buff stealing.

Thems the basics. GL HF.

Hackulator

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RG3 View Post
I just started playing ranked recently,

2a.) Don't ward for things you already know.

Nothing frustrates me more as a support than an AD who demands I ward one of the two bushes on the side of bot lane, usually because he's getting poked by enemies who are inside the bush. You know they're in the bush, you know they haven't left the bush, you know their collective maximum range, just stay that far away or force them out.

Special exceptions to this include wards which would prevent someone from dying, or wards which would garner a kill (i.e. dropping a ward in a bush to give sight when both AD carry champions are low on health, and theirs tries to abuse a vision advantage).
You ward that bush so you know exactly where they are and can initiate on them when they are not expecting it. This is not a bad thing. Your AD cannot always stay "far away" if he wants to last hit, which is required.

iMagnum

02-28-2012

Thanks for all the help! I think I'll be going into a few Draft games before I start up Ranked!

SupaAce

03-02-2012

I have recently started playing Ranked games my self...Played around 35-40 games now and from what I have noticed is some times your gonna get an amazing team and win the game very easy...some games your gonna play so good and make great moves/plays but 2-3 members of your team are gonna to feed so badly that your gonna lose no matter how good you are....you just gotta take the good with the bad and do what you can to make the game turn in your favor...I was below 1100 elo at first...but I started to try and get my team talking and watching the map thru the games and found that my teams started to win more often....So my beset advice so far is try and get your team working together and your chances of winning will go up quite a bit....but like I said be for....sometimes it's gonna be an impossible hole to climb out of....Good luck