Jank, Tax or Janx

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImCoolerOnline

02-29-2012

Jax as a tank like other tanky dps champs can own pretty hard, and unless you have master yi on your team, jax is almost always the go to champ for getting nuked first, lending more reason to be tanky. Building Jax as a tank allows you to get off multiple stuns in a single fight, survive burst, and pummel people with max stacks of R and max stacks of attack speed and hold a point by urself for much longer while teammates are on their way. ADDITIONALLY - a tanky jax cannot be ignored and can easily chase people down.

Anyways, anyone else build him this way or have other unconventional tanky dps champs with your tanky build that works good (WW doesnt count, pretty standard tanky WW's? I saw a tanky wukong earlier but he just isnt jax.

-----------------------------------------------------------
OLD POST
Tank build core:
Merc Treads
FoN
Armor (usually Frozen heart sometimes Thorn)
Armor (usually sunfire here)

Optional from here (generally last 2 spots can vary and can be built before 2nd armor fully built in core but I dont recommend it)
Randuins or Odyns
Ionic Spark, Zeke's, Trinity force, or (Gunblade rarely)

I run a full AS rune page (38%) with the build so usually with Ionic spark you get close to a 1.8 AS maybe a little higher. If your team already has two strong AD's Ill run Zekes or Spark, if only one strong AD run trinity force
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
After additional Jax building the Jank build is for particular situations and I have changed the build.

Situations: 1. Your team has no designated tank (someone needs to take the focus)
2. There team consists of some serious hard CC's i.e. Alistar, Sion, Maoki, Leona, Pantheon. If you get stunned once, its likely youll get stunned multiple times and you cant help team if your dead.
3. The have very strong AD early gamers (wukong and pantheon fit here usually)

Core build
Boots
Trinity Force (the utility of the TF is a must for jax)
Sunfire Armor (or thornmail)
Wardens Mail

Additionally, I on average get exhausted 2 times per 4v4 fight, I have at least once been exhausted 4 times in a row (all 4 on their team then I was exhausted 4 more times in the next fight when their spells off CD) being a little tanky is very helpful in surviving this.

If you dont need to be tanky Jax then you go Trinity force + phantom dancer and you can kill everyone.

Sauron

02-29-2012

I personally disagree with FoN on many champions. I feel that if you stack MR from runes/masteries/Merc's you have a very good base of what to itemize versus your opponents. The money that is normally put into FoN can sooner go into armor and stacking lifesteal (like, 3 lifesteal items stacking). It allows better adaptation in Jax builds throughout the game (mostly due to Vamp Scepter's sellback value) and it also puts his passive AS buff to a sustain use.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally don't like the itemization options for MR on AD carries versus the options they have for armor and health, so if you can do away with that weakness by internalizing your MR, you can get a damaging pseudo-tank Jax by abusing some armor with high amounts of lifesteal. More often than not, I find that the only MR item I buy on tanky dps champions, other than Merc's, is QSS.

Or maybe I'm just trying to say that Randuins/FH/Thornmail all kick so much ass that its better to itemize armor via specialized items rather than for the other two stats. A Jax with moderate MR, itemized armor, and stacked lifesteal is very hard to counter in 1v1 situations, but obviously it falls to CC faster than a real tank build does.

Granted I haven't played Jax as much as you have, but that's my experience so far. Also, stacking sustain (regen or lifesteal) is particularly effective with high defenses.

AO Alt

02-29-2012

I personally wouldn't build Jax that tanky. I strive for a full DPS route, since it also gives sufficient hp, mr and armor if you've got the right runes and item build.

I go with static aspd marks, static armor seals, static mr glyphs and arpen quints (can be aspd as well). Gives you mid 40s armor and mr at level 3.

Prospectors + boots + 2 pots
ruby > phage
boots > mercs (ninja if they have close to no cc)
sheen > zeal > triforce
vamp scepter

Now, either LW or gunblade. Gunblade is ideal, but if they stack armor get LW. Otherwise do it the other way around.

This gives you about ~2.5k hp, ~80mr and 80 armor at level 18. Combined with the immense life steal from GB and your innate damage and dodge you're suprisingly hard to kill unless they are at least 3 focusing you. And you kill anyone (tanks included) in less than 5 seconds. Squishies usually die in 4-5 hits (about 2 seconds).

Works really well at 2400 elo. (Been maining jax for about 100 games, started with Kass now though

Geryth

02-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolerOnline View Post
Tank build core:
Merc Treads
FoN
Armor (usually Frozen heart sometimes Thorn)
Armor (usually sunfire here)
I feel like most bruiser or tanky dps champions would suffer from this build as a core rather than benefit from it, really unless you are the only champion with any semblence of melee CC'ism and need to play a peeling / initiating role. But if you are Wukong / Pantheon / Jax and find yourself in that situation, you have a bad team comp.

Any regular day on those champions you need hybrid items that build both damage and defense, like Fratmas, Hexdrinker, and one dedicated DPS item and one dedicated tank item like Last Whisper/Brutalizer, Frozen Heart/Thornmail.

MR is a stat you can leave to masteries and runes as Sauron said for a few reasons, but mainly because it's hard to itemize MR on a tanky DPS because most MR items are defense only. That's why you see a lot of Wit's End and Hexdrinker right now, and they are mid-tier items that not every champion can use effectively, whereas Fratmas is useful just about on all tanky dps champions.

And I certainly wouldn't buy a sunfire if I already have frozen heart or something, you're really just gimping your damage output. Sunfire is useful in so little situations, such as the enemy having a lot of AD and you built fratmas, then sunfire goes in very well.

Really, I'd only build like that on Rammus. Even with Alistar, Singed, Maokai I'd rather them get items like Zeke's, Shurelias, Aegis, or Locket (unless they went bottom lane).

ImCoolerOnline

02-29-2012

My elo ranges from 1900-2200 and its amazing how often there is no tank on my team, and since I really enjoy playing Jax I have to tank. But really, you guys shouldnt knock it until you've tried it, if you want to sub out a sunfire for Frozen Mallet you can, the real purpose of the sunfire is the life it provides leading to increased healing through FoN and aoe dmg while your in the middle of a fight. If they do not have a strong AP champ then I dont get FoN but they almost always have Ryze or Kass or Ahri on the enemy team and in those cases some MR is fairly important + more movement is OP in Dominion.

I think many of my latest builds like this have been successful, if I have enough tanks or CC on my team I build more dmg less tank, but I am pretty sure i have one game where I went like 17/10 or something like that as a tank and their whole team was scared of me. Another game I solo killed 2 and then finally lost to their tank and basically got us a win of 1:0, I never would have pulled that off w/o my tanky items and the healing inbetween fights.

CrazyBolas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

I like these tanky builds for Jax.

Quints & Reds - Attack Damage
Yellows - flat Armor
Blues - Magic Resist per level

Masteries 9/21/0

Vampiric Scepter > Wriggles Lantern
Boots of Speed > Mercury's Treads
Phage
Pickaxe > Guinsoo's Rageblade
Frozen Mallet
Chain Vest > Atma's Impaler
Banshee's Veil

This gives a nice balance between armor, magic resist, and hit points, all while ramping up damage so that you are always a threat.

Alternate build:

Vampiric Scepter > Wriggles Lantern
Boots of Speed > Mercury's Treads
Zeal, Phage, Sheen > Trinity Force
Giant's Belt > Warmog's Armor
Chain Vest > Atma's Impaler
B. F. Sword > Infinite Edge

This one focuses a bit more on damage, but also still has plenty of tankiness in it. You end up with good armor and magic resist, while getting insane damage upon completion of your final item.

CrazyBolas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

OOPS, sorry wrong forum... those builds are for summoner's rift, ignore them.

ImCoolerOnline

03-10-2012

Updated