Champion Spotlight: Fiora, the Grand Duelist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L3nggao

03-01-2012

Ey not to qq but i think her Ulti is abit OP can you guys lower the attacking animation speed or the blinking speed as she blinks too fast for me to be able to tell who she attacks first to be able to tell where she'll land after it's done, everything else seems okish

lightingstan

03-01-2012

shes OP champion that actually came out

aisenlia

03-02-2012

A real master Yi remake. Ok what next ? Soraka remakes, Kayle remakes, Nunu remakes, etc ?

Nehum

03-02-2012

I have read a few comments on this thread about her style of swordplay. I personally am a fencing coach who was once a nationally rated epee (ep-ay) fencer in the United States Fencing Association. As someone knowledgeable on the subject, I am impressed by the accuracy of Fiora's animations. The style she presents is a classical rapier style, appropriate to the period of the Three Musketeers and is remarkably accurate.

It may appear to the layman that she does not have effective swordplay, but that information is largely based on the atrocity that is atypical Hollywood and video-game swordplay. However, theatrical swordplay is not practical swordplay. What you see in the movies is useless in a real combat situation. If you want to see accurate swordplay in the movies watch the Princess Bride. The swordplay in this film is period appropriate, and is the same style you see on Fiora.

Fiora's en gaurde, footwork and blade actions, down to the way she parries before she offers a riposte (defined as an attack made after a parry) is surprisingly accurate. Even the way she moves on the ultimate is accurate. The actions she makes is called a fleche (pronounced "flesh"), and while some poetic license is taken in the execution, the maneuver itself is accurately performed. The QQ about her attack animations is misplaced. Rapier style is FAST. That's why it is effective. This style of swordplay features quick, repeated attacks, and that is accurately portrayed in her Burst of Speed ability. It looks extraordinarily fast because it is small. I teach my students that their blade actions can never get faster, but they can get smaller and more concise.

I am personally excited to have this champion in my repertoire. And all the QQ about her being too powerful is simply a product of the atypical knee-jerk reactions of a generally uninformed community. I've spent about 6 hours in custom games laning against my friends and their strongest champions, and she has weaknesses in the lane. Its a matter of orchestrating proper match-ups. Counter-picking is a valid strategy, but people would rather QQ about her being able to beat their favorite champion, then take the time to learn another champ or let someone else take a counter-pick to the top lane. If people cannot take their favorite champ to their favorite lane and dominate, they will QQ. Remember, to the average gamer, being good at a game is not about learning how to play it better or having a dynamic playstyle, its about making sure everyone else caters to their style of play. Heaven forbid anything jeopardize their single and wholly correct view of the gaming universe. Every champion can be countered in this game with good team composition and smart play. But, those types of things require a little bit or work, and that's a frightening concept this day in age.

Lastly, I have read many comments on the word "riposte". The way Phreak pronounced it in the champion spotlight is how I hear British referees pronounce in on the World Cup fencing circuit: "re-paast". American's butcher the word by saying "ree-post". The accurate French phonetic (it is a French word) is "re-post-e". That's a pet peeve of mine. I also referee on the USFA National and Regional Circuits, as well as at the local level. Every weekend I either compete in, referee, or coach fencers in a fencing tournament, so I hear or say the word about 17837612767346273462732 times each week. Oh, and I am fluent in French.

edits: spelling and grammer

Notsud

03-03-2012

its nice to see you showing some ways to counter the champ rather then just show pure ownage, way to improve on it

lichkingjrrbish

07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemianff View Post
ain't she fancy?

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)
how do people make those things

lichkingjrrbish

07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincanis View Post
Nah. Zerker Greaves > PD > Infinity Edge > Blood thirster > 2 more inf. Edges. GG

Or switch the first inf. edge and phantom dancer around.

If you REALLY want to screw people over, build a frozen mallet in there instead of the phantom dancer. Massive health boost plus a constant slow.
zekers greaves>wriggles>bloodthirster>2tiamats>frozen mallet > gg