A Brief Introduction to AP Soraka

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burninator

10-15-2009

AP Soraka: Doin' it for the lulz

With the more-than-modest approaching buff to Soraka's damage and scaling, I thought I'd go over a few quick ways to rape more face with AP MoonChick.

Masteries: 10/1/19
Magic Pen and Ignite mastery in Offense, up to cd reduction in Utility, and a point of magic resistance (can be put anywhere, really).

Runes: AP/lvl in blues, Magic pen in reds (!!! yay for patchnotes!!!), HP/lvl in yellows. Quints are up to you (I use AP/lvl).

Summoner Spells: Ignite/Teleport. This is just my personal favorite. Teleport lets you run around everywhere, farming/pushing/supporting/ganking. A must-have in my opinion. Ignite. . . is fun. The mastery gives +10 AP while it's on cd, which can be pretty big at lvl 1. You can easily hit 20-35 AP at level 1, giving you a decent punch in addition to your DoT.

Item Build:
1. Doran's Ring for survivability and AP. The regen also helps keep your mana up (so you can use some of your infuses on allies or as nooks!). + HP pot (mostly for lvl 1-2, before you grab your heal).
2. Sorc Bewts
3. Catalyst (Gives you the HP you need and the occasional clutch regen)
4. Now, there are two builds to go to from here. There's the solid game build, and there's the bat**** crazy build.
4a. Finish Rod
5a. Abyssal Scepter
6a. Soul Shroud (interchangeable with 5a)
7a. Survivability/cd reduction/ AP item here.

Bat**** crazy build (the one I go :3)
4b. Soul stealer (yes, that's right, **** survivability)
5b. Tear of the goddess
6b. Finish Rod
7b. Abyssal or another Rod
8b. Finish Archangel's
9b. Zhonya's Ring

Skill leveling:
1. Starcall
2. Infuse
3. Infuse or heal (depending on how badly you're getting whomped in lane)

From there on, max infuse first, then starcall, then heal.

How to win at AP Soraka:
1. Lane partner. Have one. Have a good one, preferably one that deals good magic damage and has a snare (ie Cho'Gath???). Cho'Gath also has an in-lane heal and is less likely to force you to blow heals on him. There are other good ones, but he's by far the best IMO.
2. Be aggressive. Use ur ignite. Seriously, it'll either get you a kill or get you +10 AP. If it's off cooldown for more than 2 minutes at a time, then you're doing something wrong. Sure, it becomes less useful later in the game, but as soon as their initiator pops in, cast it on him! It can deal (iirc) up to 500 PURE damage. Not the most impressive feat for a spell on a 75 second cd, but people seem to love the 6 minute spell that moves you a few feet in a certain direction.
3. Lane as long as possible. You're a great laner. Resist the urge to gank (especially since you lack a snare) and pummel your lane into submission.
4. Don't forget that you are a support hero. Don't get carried away. AP Soraka is NOT a carry. She is a support hero that is great at dealing and amplifying damage as well as healing like a BOSS.
5. You know the drill, mindgames, etc. GG

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-15-2009

nice guide - I added it to the wiki (and gave you credit for it of course)

Curtis Pyke
Head of Content - www.thelolwiki.com
curtis@thegamenet.com

Morzas

10-15-2009

How good are AP Soraka's spells early, mid and late game? Give us some concrete numbers.

Phiphler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

10-15-2009

She certainly will be even better now after the patch.

Astral Blessing and Infuse got buffed, both raw numbers and scaling.

Bubbs

10-15-2009

She was already pretty good for tanking, now she's better, wheeeeeeeee.

She's going to be a solid pick now because her ult decently counters the popular aoe teams.

Xocolatl

10-15-2009

I'm not a fan of AP Soraka (yet). Next patch, it's definitely worth looking at, since she's getting a better AP scaling both in her heal (and shorter cooldown) and her nuke (Infuse). Starcall isn't getting buffed further (which I doubt it needs to be).

I still don't think AP build is worth it for her, as Astral Blessing is getting an even higher base heal & cooldown reduction (further reducing the need for AP), and Infuse is still on longer cooldown than you can rely on. It also has a pretty crappy base damage (200 base dmg + 0.8AP). Otherwise, she has to be up a little too close for comfort to be stacking AP over survivability.
I would recommend Deathfire Grasp (or whatever that thing is called) instead (if it is implemented). It will have good synergy with Starcall, since you can use it so often, and 10%hp dmg a pop is really strong. (I don't even want to imagine what will happen if it works with Hate Spike)

EchoRex

10-15-2009

Wait, people weren't playing Soraka AP Tank to start with?

WTF Over.

Corltan

10-15-2009

Actually, Astral Blessing's AP scaling is the exact same if you take into account the drop in how long it lasts down to 9 seconds from 12. Still a buff in that the full healing occurs 3 seconds faster. The only thing AP scaling changes for was Infuse, from 0.4 to 0.6.

AP Soraka is good if you have the team for it, you just have to be a lot more careful in team fights, since your squishy factor is very very high, and you still have very little damage output compared to others (though it can be high enough to make a difference). Infuse is still overall much more important for its silencing component than any bursting ability, to shut down a key oponnent at the onset of a team fight. That is of course my opinion =p

EDIT:

I typically go Rod of Ages as as quick as I can after that +7.4 mana aura item so that I can mix it up in team fights later on w/o dying to residual damage instantly, given that all of Soraka's abilities have a very short range.

Burninator

10-18-2009

Does anyone know if the heimerdinger's turrets are vulnerable to starcall's MR debuff? It would be relatively easy to rack up a stack on them every 6-7 seconds in order to bring them to -200, so you can hopefully one-shot them (maybe with another caster). This would be a viable counter to the popular alistar-heim combo.

Lollerman

10-18-2009

I wouldn't say -200, you've got to be fairly decked out with -CD reduction items to be hitting Starcall about 3-4 times before the 8 seconds are up for the first -MR stack to fizzle out. That's maybe... what? -40MR at any point? Unless you're including Abyssal, but I'm not even sure if Abyssal affected the turrets.