Why people can never get out of elo hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bladesk8ter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Allow me to break down elo hell for you all.

First of all, elo was made for 1v1 games, such as chess where u could be able to play against people of your own level. I have seen people at 500 elo that are far more skilled than players at 1300 and 1400 elo. Elo was NOT made for 5v5 games and i will show you why.

Let us say that person A and B and C are feeders/afkers/ragers at 1200 elo

Person D and E are the people trying to get out of elo hell and play for enjoyment. (at 1200 elo)

They are all on the same team and of course they lose their first match. Now they are all at 1165 elo. Not only do they have a chance of being on the same team again, but person D and E made a huge waste of 1 hour.

Let's say that person D and E won the next game with people like themselves and A, B, and C were all carried in separate games.

They are all back to 1200 elo and some end up on the same team and they are all back to 1165 elo.

The cycle is basically like this and ranging from 900-1300 is where A, B, C, D and E find themselves in.

Since A, B and C are so bad, D and E can never move forward, unless they queue with good people every game (highly unlikely).

Now that you understand the story of those people, now let each person represent 2000 players so out of 10 000 players, 6000 players would be weighing down the other 4000 trying to win.

This is why elo does not work for 5v5.

Another reason as to why elo does not work 5v5 is that people start at 1200 all the time so somebody with 200 ranked wins at 1200 will get paired with somebody with no ranked wins at rank 1200. That team will fail hard.

If riot wants to fix elo, make it also based on how many games are won.

To combat the afk situation, this would be a good example to use elo. Let us say that everybody has a afk elo of 100, then whenever they go afk they lose 5 afk elo and when they successfully complete a ranked game, they gain 1 afk elo back. After about a few weeks, afk people will be stuck with afk people and non afk people will be playing with non afk people.

These are what I believe to be the best solutions to elo hell and will free up the forums of elo hell talk.

I know that Riot is a little bit slow to change (cough cough stealth change cough cough); however these are the solutions to elo hell and if you grasp the change, you will benefit a lot.

Regards,

A very concerned player

Outplay Nation

02-28-2012

total bullcrap

SigmaMG

02-28-2012

Nope, carry harder

corallein

02-28-2012

Elo is fine for 5v5 games. At least, where the teams are pre-made.

Elo does work to an extent for solo queue, but since it's heavily flawed. There is simply no good way for ranking team games where your teammates are random people, especially in a game with no good quantifiable measures of skill.

One suggestion that I heard previously was using Glicko-2 instead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system), but that doesn't actually solve the issue that is inherent in rating solo queue.

Broteas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Dont really approve your theory but i do like your afk elo idea

Tbagstealer

Recruiter

05-04-2012

great explanation just riot wont implement it EVER

Digressed

05-05-2012

Even if you see people that are better then most 1200 elo people this is not a 1v1 game. It's a team game. If you can't be a team player then you can't reach high elo.

Aunt Jemeyema

05-05-2012

I don't think most of you are getting it that reply "If you can't be a team player then you can't reach high elo" mentality. Most of my games I offer to play whatever role is needed. Even though I am 70% win ratio when I'm AP carry mid (My main). I proceed to "Be a team player" and play other roles, only to watch others fail and eventually rage while I just sit back. Unless you constantly demand AP mid or Top and don't act as a team player, it's total luck as far as getting out of "Elo Hell". Do I think I'm a 1800 player? No, but even if I was? I would still be here because 1800+ supports/jungles/ad bot's don't "Carry" 3 other bad lanes and players. Make a queue system where you can queue for the role you enjoy and then at least people would be facing others that are excited about the roles they are going to be playing and possibly have a much better shot at winning when there isn't 20 minutes of rage chat/duo laning/intentional feeding because people don't get their spot.

Team player, what a joke.

Haen

05-05-2012

Since we're on ELO theory now, this is one of my favorite articles written about it.

http://www.solomid.net/blog.php?v=23132

Kize

05-06-2012

The ABCDE scenario in 1200 isn't very realistic because there are so many players in that ELO range.