Riot, lack of skill, and sellback rates

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

renticletape

07-28-2010

You could always make item's value depreciate over time. Like if you buy an item and sell it within 5 mins, you get back 100%, within 10 minutes you get back 90%, sell it within 20 minutes you get back 80%, 30 mins is 70%. I sometimes occasionally mis click or double click on accident and buy the wrong items and this would help it a lot.

Prosecutor Godot

07-28-2010

I really disagree with this. Setting the sellback rate to 90% would not encourage thinking when buying.

renticletape

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosecutor Godot View Post
I really disagree with this. Setting the sellback rate to 90% would not encourage thinking when buying.
And that is bad because??
How many games you lost because you got teammates who lack the ability to think for themselves?

Riffraffselbow

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by renticletape View Post
And that is bad because??
How many games you lost because you got teammates who lack the ability to think for themselves?
Okay. we should also add popups at the champ select screen, saying "hey! nobody else on your team has picked a tank. Your face will be smashed in if your team doesn't have a tank. Here are a few good tanks: <1><2>"

because we should compensate for people not thinking?

Personally, I wish Riot would drop the sellback down to 50%. 70 is just too high to begin with.

Palantair

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2010

I would like to see being able to sell back an item you "Just" accidentally bought instead of losing out on a lot of gold.

Yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion and made me

Sakagami0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

New bump, and read the link now for better understanding.

No by doing this you need to watch what you buy MORE carefully, while less prone to buying mistakes, this lets
1. Newbs get better faster by testing out more builds
2. Let pros use counters on other pros.

The latter is what I was originally striving for, an example "Let say, you are Yi, faced against another Yi. The other Yi got fed a bit more than you did. Now you have no hopes of defeating the other Yi one-on-one and in a team fight, the other Yi can easily focus you with out repercussions (if both teams focus the opposing Yi) because he is clearly superior. That sucks. Just because that Yi got fed off of some of your incompetent team mates, you now are repressed by the other Yi and can't do anything about it (unless they are stupid). Thats the kind of thing that annoys me- complete, unrestricted, snowballing.

General Waffles

07-29-2010

"Oh ****, their team has a ton of MR but no armor. S'ok, I'll just go DPS."
"Oh look! He's changed to DPS! Let's switch out our MR for armor."
If the sellback rates are high enough, you might have a lot of games where all you guys are doing is switching around items to counter the opponents.

Gardenia

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakagami0 View Post
Why did I post this?
Because I thought, this game needed some more places where skill is required :P

TL;DR Bump up sell back rates.

Edit- On second thought, read the link then comment. And I realized my example has down syndrome, but Im not good at that kind of stuff :P.

an example "Let say, you are Yi, faced against another Yi. The other Yi got fed a bit more than you did. Now you have no hopes of defeating the other Yi one-on-one and in a team fight, the other Yi can easily focus you with out repercussions (if both teams focus the opposing Yi) because he is clearly superior. That sucks. Just because that Yi got fed off of some of your incompetent team mates, you now are repressed by the other Yi and can't do anything about it (unless they are stupid). Thats the kind of thing that annoys me- complete, unrestricted, snowballing.

Is this a fool proof plan? Nope. Thats why I wanted your opinions on it .
I don't see how your example explains or helps your argument at all.

How does boosted sell back help your team at all? As Yi you have already established that the enemy Yi has gotten a few kills and can already focus fire you easily enough to win outright if both teams focus fire enemy carries. How, exactly does this let you do anything different? Items already sell for 70% if you really wanted to change them to something else even if they sold for 100% the enemy team is snowballing, he has more money than you because he has kills, anything you buy to counter him he can in turn by the counter for. Thornmail? No sweat he drops his Ghostblade for a Last whisper and some other survival item, any sort of smart play this enables is countered by the fact the enemy has the same options.

What you should be doing is asking how your team can adopt different strategies, the enemy Yi is fed, that cannot be helped according to your example, maybe they have a softer target you can get some cash from in teamfights to ruin his support. Maybe you can distract the enemy team while your Yi pushes with creeps. Neither of those different strategies have anything directally to do with selling and repurchasing items.

Sakagami0

07-29-2010

It that all you thought of? Do you play chess?
Its more like
"Oh ****, their team has a ton of MR but no armor. S'ok, I'll just go DPS. On second though, I stick with AP because I know they will think we will change to DPS."

Sakagami0

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenia View Post
I don't see how your example explains or helps your argument at all.

How does boosted sell back help your team at all? As Yi you have already established that the enemy Yi has gotten a few kills and can already focus fire you easily enough to win outright if both teams focus fire enemy carries. How, exactly does this let you do anything different? Items already sell for 80% if you really wanted to change them to something else even if they sold for 100% the enemy team is snowballing, he has more money than you because he has kills, anything you buy to counter him he can in turn by the counter for. Thornmail? No sweat he drops his Ghostblade for a Last whisper and some other survival item, any sort of smart play this enables is countered by the fact the enemy has the same options.

What you should be doing is asking how your team can adopt different strategies, the enemy Yi is fed, that cannot be helped according to your example, maybe they have a softer target you can get some cash from in teamfights to ruin his support. Maybe you can distract the enemy team while your Yi pushes with creeps. Neither of those different strategies have anything directally to do with selling and repurchasing items.
Defense items always give more bang for your buck. Calculate it.