Bad Rammus needs serious help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

William of Wonka

02-26-2012

Rammus has been the only champion I ever tried maining but despite playing quite a few games with him I still find myself barely scratching the surface of mediocrity.

I do understand the basics of his skills, so no such explanation is needed.
I also don't jungle since I can hardly lane properly.

My build is:
Randuins;
Merc threads/Ninja Tabi;
Thornmail;
Force of Nature;
Warmogs;
Sunfire.

Pretty much any help is appreciated.

Sir Moonedge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

Learn to play better.

ADGarner

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by William of Wonka View Post
I also don't jungle since I can hardly lane properly. Pretty much any help is appreciated.
Practice your jungle is really the best advice. Laning and jungle are different animals. You could be good at lane and bad at jungle and vice versa. So don't let your lane phase hold you back. Rammus is strong because of his high mobility. Trapping him to a lane actually weakens Rammus and allows your opponents to use minion line against you.

To start practicing your jungle just play Rammus in some bot games. Take smite and a cloth armor and five health potions. If your team does not provide you a leash try starting on wolves. The goal is to clear your entire jungle including red buff by level three or four.

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

You answered your own problem in your post. Rammus is one of the stronger junglers right now and one of the worst laners. Don't play Rammus in lane and expect to do well.

Basically what the above poster said.

Biffels

02-26-2012

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...to-date-139817
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-to-know-77704

Don't need to follow the builds and runes and stuff if you don't want to. Both are good guides to read though. The second one revolves around jungling and the first one is for rammus himself.

Comments to you build:
Thornmail has a ton of armor but no health. Rammus is already a high armor champion naturally and has low health. In order to optimize your effective health you will need more health than you do armor so thornmail is not really worth it in my opinion. Same goes for FoN. You have low health compared to most tanks so the % regen is just a small bonus and you have a ton of MR now but no hp to back it up. Solutions to both problems: Banshee's veil instead of the FoN and a shurelia's instead of the thornmail.

My personal build for a very balanced team:
Regrowth pedant+an hp pot for jungling
Philo stone, boots 1, and a HoG for gold income.
Get the ninja tabi/merc treads depending on what you need.
Next up is some hp to back up the armor/mr you naturally have from your W.
Buy a kindlegem. HP+CDR=Goodness, and it builds into that shurelyas (I still can't spell this >.<)
If you're ganking a lot and need the speed to do them, you can finish it if you want, if not you'll want to keep the gold income from the philo stone.
Next item depends on how well the lanes are doing. Depending on if the AD/AP is doing better you will want to buy either a negatron or a wardens mail. Whichever you don't buy now you will buy the next time you go back.
Now you need more HP to back up your new mr/armor, buy a catalyst.
Farm, team fight, do your normal game stuff, then finish off the Banshee's Veil and the Randuins Omen and the Shurelya's, you will likely do 2/3 all in one back, sometimes all of them (depends on if you waited this long for the shurelya's or not.
You now have the items of:
Boots 2
Shurelya's
Randuins
Banshee's Veil
You still have 2 spots for whatever you need but by now you can tank their whole team for a good 5-10sec probably.
These two depend on the team's needs. You can always get an abyssal scepter for your AP carry to hit harder AND it gives you more MR. Or you could just build more HP. The 2 things you will need here are HP and MR. Your armor is already high enough with just one armor item.
I don't advise a GA, it doesn't revive you with enough health to even run away with and the enemy team shouldn't be focusing you anyway >.>

Anyway, the last item should honestly just be wards because there is almost a 0% chance you will have enough gold for the 6th item or even the 5th item. So wards/red pot are always good filler :P

One last guide:
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=11623
^Effective HP Guide. You can read all the mathy stuff if you like, or skip to the TL;DR which tells you exactly what to aim for HP/armor/MR wise depending on the heaviness of the AP/AD on the enemy team.

Terry Atken

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffels View Post

Comments to you build:
Thornmail has a ton of armor but no health. Rammus is already a high armor champion naturally and has low health. In order to optimize your effective health you will need more health than you do armor so thornmail is not really worth it in my opinion. Same goes for FoN. You have low health compared to most tanks so the % regen is just a small bonus and you have a ton of MR now but no hp to back it up. Solutions to both problems: Banshee's veil instead of the FoN and a shurelia's instead of the thornmail.
First off, they nerfed the amount of MR and Amor you get from your W. Secondly, armor and magic resist actually scale better the more you have, unlike health. So even if you have low health, you'll still live longer with more defensive stats even if you already have a ton. The biggest reason to get health is because LW / VS cuts your effective armor / MR by 45ish%, making it so health gets on par with the stats involved. You also get health if theres a lot of true damage going around - like with Vayne.

Health is needed as a buffer zone for burst As well. You only really need two or so minor health items, until they get a LW / VS. Then you go for the Warmogs. Aegis and Heart of Gold are really all the health Rammus needs until then. With Heart of Gold, Banshees Veil, and Aegis, you should be sporting quite a good health pool.

Secondly, you get Thornmail because it massively increases his single target DPS. His passive gives him damage based on armor. His W combines exceedingly well with Thornmails passive. This allows you to wreck carries who, for whatever reason, don't get merc treads.

iMuse

02-26-2012

start jungling 10x better in the jungle then lane.

Dark Ajax

02-26-2012

jungle, bruv

Biffels

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Atken View Post
First off, they nerfed the amount of MR and Amor you get from your W. Secondly, armor and magic resist actually scale better the more you have, unlike health. So even if you have low health, you'll still live longer with more defensive stats even if you already have a ton. The biggest reason to get health is because LW / VS cuts your effective armor / MR by 45ish%, making it so health gets on par with the stats involved. You also get health if theres a lot of true damage going around - like with Vayne.

Health is needed as a buffer zone for burst As well. You only really need two or so minor health items, until they get a LW / VS. Then you go for the Warmogs. Aegis and Heart of Gold are really all the health Rammus needs until then. With Heart of Gold, Banshees Veil, and Aegis, you should be sporting quite a good health pool.

Secondly, you get Thornmail because it massively increases his single target DPS. His passive gives him damage based on armor. His W combines exceedingly well with Thornmails passive. This allows you to wreck carries who, for whatever reason, don't get merc treads.
There were other reasons for why I replaced the TM and FoN with what I said. Rammus is godly in the mobility section and is his major initiator so why not get a Shurelya's, it's synergizes perfectly (and is a "minor health item"). The BV was also thrown in instead of a FoN because it stops Rammus' anti-initiators...like a Ryze snare/morg snare/any other snare/stun/immobilize. Put the two together and you have everything you'll ever need to initiate, and some HP/CDR to go with it.
And you don't need 300+ armor to tank, which is very easy to do with a Rammus, I hit ~150 with one armor item (usually a Randuins; it builds from the HoG and the slow active), so that's up to 270 armor, ish, with his W on.
Nerf wasn't that big. Still 30mr/armor at rank 1...that doubles his armor at level 4 >.<

And you just said that a HoG/BV and an aegis would be enough, the only difference is I used a Shurelya's instead of an Aegis for the extra speed/cdr O.o
I agree that a TM increases his single target dps, I get it on dominion all the time. But by the time you're getting it in SR you aren't really needing to do single target damage. You need to prevent as much damage as possible from going to your carries. Randuin's allows for that by letting you soak up ad dmg and slowing the attack speed of everyone around you for however long. That slow alone reduced the enemy teams overall AD dps more so than an extra 25 armor on just you, who should only be getting hit by an AD carry for ~3sec before they switch targets to something else.

Try reading what I linked at the bottom too...

William of Wonka

02-27-2012

Thanks everyone for the help, and I will certainly take it all to heart.
I'm going to try and jungle in coop vs AI a few times first.

As for the build recommendations, while I haven't had much issues simply taking damage, I will certainly look into it and see if I can mix things up more depending on the enemy team. Also thank you for the links, they are quite helpful.