What role has the most influence on a team's success?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Looking for general opinions on what you think the most vital role to a team's success is. As in which role do you feel has the most influence over whether you win or lose?

From top to bottom my list to start off.

Jungler : As long as your lane isn't a total fail, a good jungler can turn a lost lane into a winning one. No other role on the team has the ability to so directly influence every other lane in the game.

AD carry: If your AD carry doesn't understand positioning and constantly gets caught, you're going to lose. Your AD carry is your most consistent source of damage typically and also your highest damage. Also, your death early typically results in a free dragon for your opponent and if you can't farm, you can't do anything all game.

AP carry: Some ability to influence other lanes with being in mid. A gank top or bot is a very doable thing. Plus you have high burst damage potential typically and the ability to take someone instantly out of a fight is very valuable later on.

Support: Vision, vision, vision. A good support should have the entire map lit up and let you know when and where the enemy team is at pretty much all times. This lets you potentially steal important map objectives. Also, if you can zone the enemy carry and stop them from getting fed, you can go a long way toward helping your team later.

Solo Top: Not that this role is unimportant. Recently M5 showed us what a dominating solo top could do against TSM. If you can consistently steal enemy jungle, you can do a fantastic job toward helping your team win. However this is somewhat rarer to see in general.

briathos

02-25-2012

eh, for me i play mostly solo top, because i do not trust anyone else to
9/10 times i solo top with my mains i get fed early, then proceed to just keep getting fed when im roaming
but every role is each to its own the only thing might be major important compared to rest is range AD carry

Dorsia

02-25-2012

in my opinion early game is the jungler (early ganks can tilt the favor in a lane), mid game is the ap mid/jungler, late game would be the fed/farmed ad carry (thanks to the healing/wards/protection with little to no thanks from the support all game). but it really depends on the heroes picked too.

MillForMe

02-25-2012

How do we go about defining kill lanes? Support isn't always picked to go back. Some people do Pantheon or other champs. Are they automatically called 'support' just because they are in bot and not ad carries?

JitnikoVi

02-25-2012

several pro gamers have already stated mid is the most influential role for lower elo brackets

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Jungler - Can make a bad lane matchup turn favourable for you team

Solo Top - Dominating the lane can drive the enemy jungler to be forced top, shutting down their ganks and the potential of their solo top and helps your whole team flow better, have a better game due to less ganks and better farming (plus shutting down 1-2 of their players more than they would have been otherwise)

AD Carry - That damage output late game.

AP Carry - That late game nuke

Support - They do what is needed, but with good placement on your team, it's not always gamebreaking play that comes from the support. Yes a good support makes a BIG difference, but they're still not as important as other roles.

tasar

02-25-2012

the jungle has the most early game use. i like to ward lots om my jungle. and i play late game carry junglers like shavana. i seem to have a big impact on every game i play a jungle....be it going in a lane getting a kill....going in a lane make them use flash...warding and killing enemy jungler, dragon gold, going in top lane when he thinks its a safe time to back and killing his tower....jungle is probly the most important role. get an oracles early and farm that 25g ward bot if ur playing shavana or uydr. at 20 min mark...creep the **** out of the lanes and carry ur team to victory!

Haen

02-26-2012

I just picked the 5 basic expected roles on any team. Obviously you're not going to always have them. Especially at low elo/normals. Was just kinda curious as to everyone's thoughts. Wasn't necessarily talking about high elo or low elo. Just general opinions and looking for discussion/debate.

Moses McNukem

02-26-2012

Such a tough question.
It's pretty situational I think. Depending on the phase of the game, each role can make or break a game.

AD Carry- I dont think a great one wins you games per say, but one that doesn't do the basics well (zoning, awareness, farm, team fight, etc) can definately lose you a game. An AD carry is supposed to blow stuff up.

AP Carry- See above.

Jungler- They can really dictate the lane phase. As far as early game goes, they can single handly make or break one. That being said, late game they can be behind on gold (especially if they didn't get a heafty amount of kills).

Solo Top- If they are beast at solo top and get an early turret/force enemy jungle to pop out a lot,they can cause havoc in laning phase. Also, that generally translates into a strong team mid-late game.

Support- The game eventually comes down to team fighting/map control. A great support can really turn the tide in both of these fields. In every phase of the game, the support can shift the outcome and bad play from this role will often lose the game/be very noticeable.

TL;DR

Support- Most Important
Solo Top- Really Close 2nd

BurntWalrus

02-26-2012

Tank/support.

As there are lesser amounts, they are more influential for the team in %.

pugging: Usually tank/support as no one wants to pick it.
With your own team: W/e role the other guys are the worse at that you are better.