Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I could use some help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bossa

02-24-2012

I desperately want to write. I've had fanfiction ideas swimming in my head for several months now, and I want to do something about it. But every time I summon the courage to open my notebook and try, I'm intimidated by the blank page in front of me. For no apparent reason I'm discouraged, and I have no idea how to overcome it. My question is, has anyone else experienced this nonsense? How do you overcome something like this?

Also, while I'm in the fanfiction forum... Why do people think that the "Ezreal=female" joke is still funny? :/

Jaykoboy

02-24-2012

Hm...IMO, the hardest part is ALWAYS the title. Here's what you do to avoid getting stuck:

1) If you can't just sit down and write, think about what your story is going to be about and write them on paper.
2) Once you've done that, you've started writing a bit already, and it will remove some of your blockage. But then you have to open a new document, or get a new piece of paper, or whatev, and then sit down and pull out your plan.
3) Think of a catchy opening line. Write it down. Even if it's just a chapter title, write it. (Chapter titles are easier than full titles; you just hint at what's going to happen that chapter, not the entire story) Once you've done this, you'll be ready.
4) Start writing! It'll be fun!

If none of this works, and you can't get started like that, and it's just the paper looking blank that scares you, button mash randomly or doodle on the edges. It'll make the page look less desolate, and if you're on a computer, you can go back and delete it later.

I hope that helped!

Grand Viper

02-24-2012

Welcome to the world of writing man, I know exactly how you feel. The first chapter of the Riven story I wrote took me if I remember correctly...three months to write. I wanted to try and write up a story for quite some time, and I do have other projects now that I've started writing for LoL fanfiction. What I find works best is simply blurt your ideas on the paper, just write out all your ideas and see if it interests you.

An example, let's take Ezreal (I don't find the Ezreal is female joke funny either).

This is me going off the top of my head, Ezreal, he is an adventurer, he wants to adventure and explore stuff, caves, forests, lives in Piltover, who does can he have relations to: Caitlyn, Heimerdinger, yordles that live in Piltover, can they interact? How can they interact? Caitlyn is the daughter of a Hextech engineer and Heimerdinger is a genius, can the three collaborate into creating the pulse fire suit, can this have story implications? He's a very smart but somewhat egotistical youth who gets easily bored when not challenged, who would he have intellectual battles with? Who would he hold in contempt? Who would he find his equal? Would he have an equal? What Xerath, a being of pure unbridled magic, would such a creature interest Ezreal's research and his own interest of the magical gauntlet he wears? How far is Ezreal willing to go in the pursuit of knowledge? What will this lead to, who can pull him away from it? Can he?

I actually have very little interest in writing Ezreal at the moment to be perfectly frank, this is my thought process off the top of my head in a few seconds so it is very scattered and very...nonsensical. But that's alright! You pluck ideas out of there and refine them, and see if it will take you places but you have to write them down, no matter how good (or bad) they may be! The forum is all about making mistakes, if you make grammar mistakes who cares, that's why you're here. People will point it out and not in a condescending kind of way, your writing needs improvement? We are here to help, my writing needs constant improvement and I have the community to thank for helping me try and better it. You're amongst mates here, mate, just relax.

Bossa

02-24-2012

Thanks for the quick reply Jaykoboy. I'll be perfectly honest, a part of me was really hoping you'd respond. Not to seem creepy, but I see you a lot around the Lore forum, and you seem like an awesome guy.

That aside, I'll try your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Eredaar

02-24-2012

Quote:
The Bossa:
Thanks for the quick reply Jaykoboy. I'll be perfectly honest, a part of me was really hoping you'd respond. Not to seem creepy, but I see you a lot around the Lore forum, and you seem like an awesome guy.

That aside, I'll try your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

STOP NO DON'T DON'T INFLATE HIS ALREADY INFLATED HEAD ANYMORE ... xD( jk your not as inflated as before)

Bossa

02-24-2012

Quote:
Grand Viper:

/snip

Ha, thanks a lot. I always thought my ideas were pretty in-depth, but you showed me that there are a lot of things I've never stopped to consider. Maybe, if nothing else, asking myself questions like yours will at least give me something to put on paper. And while my ideas are more WoW- than LoL-related, it's certainly a start. Maybe once I work up some confidence I can try my luck here. Thanks.

And I love you so much for the Ezreal comment. It's nice to see that we're not all forum sheep.

Jaykoboy

02-24-2012

Quote:
Eredaar:
STOP NO DON'T DON'T INFLATE HIS ALREADY INFLATED HEAD ANYMORE ... xD( jk your not as inflated as before)

Yeah, we don't want it back at the size of a zeppelin.

Grand Viper

02-24-2012

@Jaykoboy

~Fly away on my zephyr, I feel it more than everrrr, and in this perfect weather, we'll find a place togetherrrr, flyyyyy onnnnn, flyyyyyy onnnnn

@The Bossa

Like I said man, whenever you're ready we'll be here and waitin' for ya. These forums here are some of the friendliest and best parts of the LoL forums, the community here is great.

Jaykoboy

02-24-2012

Yeah, if you want nice people, stick here, and maybe the lore forums. Places to avoid are OT and Champs. Of course, on OT, I may be able to buy you some purchase, and certainly on Champs, but if you're interested in either one, I can't guarantee it.

Cerubois

02-24-2012

My two cents:

If you're having trouble figuring out the beginning, skip it. Write what you have a good idea of, and then work from there. Often when you're writing, you'll come up with more ideas along the way.

At least this has always worked for me. But I know people write differently from one another. :P